Professional Web Applications Themes

EOS 20D...1.6x Crop Factor...Do you actually see it while shooting? - Photography

Greetings All... I have made the jump from Canon FD (T90, 300/f4, etc...) to the EOS 20D. I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in the viewfinder. Just as a point of reference, let's say that from 50 yards away, with a 300mm lens on a T90, I can get a six foot tall person framed head to toe. Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the same shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' ...

  1. #1

    Default EOS 20D...1.6x Crop Factor...Do you actually see it while shooting?

    Greetings All...

    I have made the jump from Canon FD (T90, 300/f4, etc...) to the EOS 20D.

    I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative
    magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in
    the viewfinder.

    Just as a point of reference, let's say that from 50 yards away, with a
    300mm lens on a T90, I can get a six foot tall person framed head to toe.

    Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the same
    shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball actually
    see in the viewfinder?

    Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my subject
    framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?

    In other words, is the 20D viewfinder "tweaked" such that the crop factor is
    visually apparent when you are shooting, or do you have to constantly think
    "Shoot Loose!" to accomodate the crop factor???

    Am I comparing apples to oranges? Or, should I just purge my brain of any
    35mm memories and always be sure that I have an extra 30 yards of real
    estate behind me so that I can shoot from 80 yards away instead of 50? :O)

    So far, I'm very happy with the first dozen or so images I've gotten with
    the 20D, but I wanted to get a better handle on all of the above as I move
    forward with lens choices and begin to fill out my digital system.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jay Beckman
    Chandler, AZ

    Jay Beckman Guest

  2. #2

    How did the results compare to what you saw in the viewfinder?
    :-)

    --
    Colm

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    > So far, I'm very happy with the first dozen or so images I've gotten with
    > the 20D, but I wanted to get a better handle on all of the above as I move
    > forward with lens choices and begin to fill out my digital system.
    Colm Guest

  3. #3

    "Colm" <colmgall> wrote in message
    > How did the results compare to what you saw in the viewfinder?
    > :-)
    >
    > --
    > Colm
    Colm,

    I don't have any results from which to draw comparisons yet...that's kinda
    why I'm asking the question. ;O)

    Maybe I should have said: Is what I see in the viewfinder exactly what is
    going down on disk, or do I always have to think "Shoot Loose" because the
    actual picture being recorded is cropped tighter?

    From a logistical point of view, this is a key question. There are places
    I've shot or that I like to shoot that may not allow me the option of
    backing off more to accomodate a "longer lens" and so I might only want a
    200mm lens (for the effective yield of 320mm) instead of getting a 300mm
    lens and having to physically move her back to accomodate the (virtual)
    480mm image.

    I hope this clarifies my point.

    Thanks,

    Jay

    Jay Beckman Guest

  4. #4

    > "Colm" <colmgall> wrote in message
    >> How did the results compare to what you saw in the viewfinder?
    >> :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Colm
    >
    > Colm,
    >
    > I don't have any results from which to draw comparisons yet...that's kinda
    > why I'm asking the question. ;O)
    >
    > Maybe I should have said: Is what I see in the viewfinder exactly what is
    > going down on disk, or do I always have to think "Shoot Loose" because the
    > actual picture being recorded is cropped tighter?
    >
    > From a logistical point of view, this is a key question. There are places
    > I've shot or that I like to shoot that may not allow me the option of
    > backing off more to accomodate a "longer lens" and so I might only want a
    > 200mm lens (for the effective yield of 320mm) instead of getting a 300mm
    > lens and having to physically move her back to accomodate the
    > (virtual) 480mm image.
    >
    > I hope this clarifies my point.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jay
    Jay, what you see is nearly what you get, it's about 95% through the
    viewfinder.

    Ross

    Mac Tabak Guest

  5. #5

    Considering you have the camera with you.... this is an easier thing to test
    for than asking.... =)

    But anyways... in my viewfinder, If I line the top edge of the viewfinder up
    exactly with the top of someone's head... I get a bit more space above in my
    image... so the viewfinder shows about 95% of what you get... sort of like
    on your old ogue camera.

    Al...

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message

    > I don't have any results from which to draw comparisons yet...that's kinda
    > why I'm asking the question. ;O)

    Alan Adrian Guest

  6. #6

    Waiting on the film to come back, eh? :-)

    What you see is more or less what you get. It would be quite a pain to have
    to imagine the crop in your head every time you took a shot. Simply think of
    your 50mm as an 80mm. Other than that, it behaves as a normal slr.

    --
    Colm

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    > "Colm" <colmgall> wrote in message
    > > How did the results compare to what you saw in the viewfinder?
    > > :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colm
    >
    > Colm,
    >
    > I don't have any results from which to draw comparisons yet...that's kinda
    > why I'm asking the question. ;O)
    Colm Guest

  7. #7

    Jay Beckman wrote:
    > Greetings All...
    >
    > I have made the jump from Canon FD (T90, 300/f4, etc...) to the EOS 20D.
    >
    > I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative
    > magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in
    > the viewfinder.
    >
    > Just as a point of reference, let's say that from 50 yards away, with a
    > 300mm lens on a T90, I can get a six foot tall person framed head to toe.
    >
    > Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the same
    > shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball actually
    > see in the viewfinder?
    >
    > Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    > actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    > actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my subject
    > framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    >
    > In other words, is the 20D viewfinder "tweaked" such that the crop factor is
    > visually apparent when you are shooting, or do you have to constantly think
    > "Shoot Loose!" to accomodate the crop factor???
    >
    > Am I comparing apples to oranges? Or, should I just purge my brain of any
    > 35mm memories and always be sure that I have an extra 30 yards of real
    > estate behind me so that I can shoot from 80 yards away instead of 50? :O)
    >
    > So far, I'm very happy with the first dozen or so images I've gotten with
    > the 20D, but I wanted to get a better handle on all of the above as I move
    > forward with lens choices and begin to fill out my digital system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > Chandler, AZ

    Let me see if I understand your question... you've said you understand
    that the FOV of the lens will be different, and you want to know if your
    FOV in the viewfinder will reflect this difference. Right?

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer Guest

  8. #8

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    > "Colm" <colmgall> wrote in message
    >> How did the results compare to what you saw in the viewfinder?
    >> :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Colm
    >
    > Colm,
    >
    > I don't have any results from which to draw comparisons yet...that's kinda
    > why I'm asking the question. ;O)
    >
    > Maybe I should have said: Is what I see in the viewfinder exactly what is
    > going down on disk, or do I always have to think "Shoot Loose" because the
    > actual picture being recorded is cropped tighter?
    >
    > From a logistical point of view, this is a key question. There are places
    > I've shot or that I like to shoot that may not allow me the option of
    > backing off more to accomodate a "longer lens" and so I might only want a
    > 200mm lens (for the effective yield of 320mm) instead of getting a 300mm
    > lens and having to physically move her back to accomodate the
    > (virtual) 480mm image.
    >
    > I hope this clarifies my point.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jay

    WYSIWYG

    --
    Skip Middleton
    [url]http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com[/url]

    Skip M Guest

  9. #9

    Alan Adrian wrote:
    > Considering you have the camera with you.... this is an easier thing to test
    > for than asking.... =)
    >
    > But anyways... in my viewfinder, If I line the top edge of the viewfinder up
    > exactly with the top of someone's head... I get a bit more space above in my
    > image... so the viewfinder shows about 95% of what you get... sort of like
    > on your old ogue camera.
    My film camera has a 100% viewfinder and it bothers me that the DSLR's have gone
    to sub-100% viewfinders when the vf optics are less expensive with cropped sensors.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  10. #10

    "Alan Browne" <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Alan Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Considering you have the camera with you.... this is an easier thing to
    >> test for than asking.... =)
    >>
    >> But anyways... in my viewfinder, If I line the top edge of the viewfinder
    >> up exactly with the top of someone's head... I get a bit more space above
    >> in my image... so the viewfinder shows about 95% of what you get... sort
    >> of like on your old ogue camera.
    >
    > My film camera has a 100% viewfinder and it bothers me that the DSLR's
    > have gone to sub-100% viewfinders when the vf optics are less expensive
    > with cropped sensors.

    Not all DSLRs have less than 100% viewfinders, the Canon 1 series has a 100%
    viewfinder, and I think some, if not all, of the Nikons do, too.

  11. #11

    Take a 35mm negative (36mm x 24mm) and draw a rectangle the size of a APS
    negative (22.5mm x 15mm) in the centre of it and that's the picture your 20D
    will see.

    A 300mm will give the coverage of a 300x1.6 (420mm) on the 20D.

    The viewfinder will show 95% of the APS size image.

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings All...
    >
    > I have made the jump from Canon FD (T90, 300/f4, etc...) to the EOS 20D.
    >
    > I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative
    > magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in
    > the viewfinder.
    >
    > Just as a point of reference, let's say that from 50 yards away, with a
    > 300mm lens on a T90, I can get a six foot tall person framed head to toe.
    >
    > Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the same
    > shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball
    > actually see in the viewfinder?
    >
    > Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    > actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    > actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my subject
    > framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    >
    > In other words, is the 20D viewfinder "tweaked" such that the crop factor
    > is visually apparent when you are shooting, or do you have to constantly
    > think "Shoot Loose!" to accomodate the crop factor???
    >
    > Am I comparing apples to oranges? Or, should I just purge my brain of any
    > 35mm memories and always be sure that I have an extra 30 yards of real
    > estate behind me so that I can shoot from 80 yards away instead of 50?
    > :O)
    >
    > So far, I'm very happy with the first dozen or so images I've gotten with
    > the 20D, but I wanted to get a better handle on all of the above as I move
    > forward with lens choices and begin to fill out my digital system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > Chandler, AZ

    dylan Guest

  12. #12

    try 300x1.6 = 480 !!

    "dylan" <spamnone.com> wrote in message
    > Take a 35mm negative (36mm x 24mm) and draw a rectangle the size of a APS
    > negative (22.5mm x 15mm) in the centre of it and that's the picture your
    > 20D will see.
    >
    > A 300mm will give the coverage of a 300x1.6 (420mm) on the 20D.
    >
    > The viewfinder will show 95% of the APS size image.
    >

    > "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    >> Greetings All...
    >>
    >> I have made the jump from Canon FD (T90, 300/f4, etc...) to the EOS 20D.
    >>
    >> I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative
    >> magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in
    >> the viewfinder.
    >>
    >> Just as a point of reference, let's say that from 50 yards away, with a
    >> 300mm lens on a T90, I can get a six foot tall person framed head to toe.
    >>
    >> Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the
    >> same shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball
    >> actually see in the viewfinder?
    >>
    >> Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    >> actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    >> actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my
    >> subject framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    >>
    >> In other words, is the 20D viewfinder "tweaked" such that the crop factor
    >> is visually apparent when you are shooting, or do you have to constantly
    >> think "Shoot Loose!" to accomodate the crop factor???
    >>
    >> Am I comparing apples to oranges? Or, should I just purge my brain of
    >> any 35mm memories and always be sure that I have an extra 30 yards of
    >> real estate behind me so that I can shoot from 80 yards away instead of
    >> 50? :O)
    >>
    >> So far, I'm very happy with the first dozen or so images I've gotten with
    >> the 20D, but I wanted to get a better handle on all of the above as I
    >> move forward with lens choices and begin to fill out my digital system.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Jay Beckman
    >> Chandler, AZ

    dylan Guest

  13. #13

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> writes:
    > Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the same
    > shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball actually
    > see in the viewfinder?
    >
    > Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    > actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    > actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my subject
    > framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    What you see in teh viewfinder is what you'll get. Head to waist
    should be what you see in your example.

    Yeah, if you just clear your head of what a given focal length gives
    you in terms of field of view and recalibrate the noggin to the new
    format, you'll be good.

    --
    Todd H.
    [url]http://www.toddh.net/[/url]

  14. #14

    Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    > My film camera has a 100% viewfinder and it bothers me that the DSLR's
    > have gone to sub-100% viewfinders when the vf optics are less expensive
    > with cropped sensors.
    Only top-end film SLRs ever had 100% viewfinders, anyway. Some of the
    top-end digitals have them, too.

    What bothers me is that they tend to keep the same magnification in the
    viewfinder as with full-frame. That is, the viewfinder in the D70 is
    a cropped version of a 35mm viewfinder; the image is smaller, rather
    than having more magnification. That's annoying. I should see the same
    thing (well, roughly) looking through a 35mm lens on digital as I see
    with a 50mm lens on film, but that's not the case; a 50mm on digital
    results in no visual magnification, despite it being a moderate telephoto.

    I'm hoping for a better viewfinder on the D2x.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Nixon Guest

  15. #15

    Todd H. wrote:

    > What you see in teh viewfinder is what you'll get. Head to waist
    > should be what you see in your example.
    Page 159 of the Canon 20D manual states that the 20D viewfinder is 95% (V and
    H), so the image will be slightly outide what you see in the VF.

  16. #16

    "Todd H." <ttoddh.net> wrote in message news:m0r7lmytu3.fsfripco.com...
    > "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> writes:
    >
    >> Now, without changing my distance from the subject, I go to frame the
    >> same
    >> shot with a 300mm lens on a 20D...what will the ol' og eyeball
    >> actually
    >> see in the viewfinder?
    >>
    >> Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    >> actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    >> actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my
    >> subject
    >> framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    >
    > What you see in teh viewfinder is what you'll get. Head to waist
    > should be what you see in your example.
    >
    > Yeah, if you just clear your head of what a given focal length gives
    > you in terms of field of view and recalibrate the noggin to the new
    > format, you'll be good.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > [url]http://www.toddh.net/[/url]
    Todd,

    Thank you

    Jay

    Jay Beckman Guest

  17. #17

    "Jer" <gdunnairmail.ten> wrote in message

    > Let me see if I understand your question... you've said you understand
    > that the FOV of the lens will be different, and you want to know if your
    > FOV in the viewfinder will reflect this difference. Right?
    >

    > --
    > jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer,

    That is exactly the question I'm asking. It has been answered to my
    satisfaction, thank you.

    Jay

    Jay Beckman Guest

  18. #18

    In article <10sbmvtlmldltf5corp.supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <jeremyexit109.com> wrote:
    >Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> My film camera has a 100% viewfinder and it bothers me that the DSLR's
    >> have gone to sub-100% viewfinders when the vf optics are less expensive
    >> with cropped sensors.
    >
    >Only top-end film SLRs ever had 100% viewfinders, anyway. Some of the
    >top-end digitals have them, too.
    >
    >What bothers me is that they tend to keep the same magnification in the
    >viewfinder as with full-frame. That is, the viewfinder in the D70 is
    >a cropped version of a 35mm viewfinder; the image is smaller, rather
    >than having more magnification. That's annoying. I should see the same
    >thing (well, roughly) looking through a 35mm lens on digital as I see
    >with a 50mm lens on film, but that's not the case; a 50mm on digital
    >results in no visual magnification, despite it being a moderate telephoto.
    Not on many modern film SLRs :-( While the viewfinders on my older
    cameras are roughly life-size with a 50mm lens mounted, those on the
    later cameras, with more in-viewfinder information displays, have
    shrunk the angle of view allocated to the actual viewfinder display.
    Nowadays you need to mount a 70mm or 80mm lens to get a viewfinder
    display that roughly matches your normal vision.

    Still, that means that if your DSLR, with a 50mm lens attached, were
    showing you the smaller angle of view in the same physical area, it
    would be approximately life size. But, as you noticed, that often is
    not the case; the viewfinder image area is even smaller in the DSLR.

    One notable exception in the lower-priced entries is found in the
    Pentax *ist-DS; the viewfinder magnification of that camera with a
    50mm lens mounted is close to life size. Do a side-by-side test of
    that camera and a Nikon D70 or a Canon 300D - you'll be impressed.

    John Francis Guest

  19. #19

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    > Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>My film camera has a 100% viewfinder and it bothers me that the DSLR's
    >>have gone to sub-100% viewfinders when the vf optics are less expensive
    >>with cropped sensors.
    >

    > Only top-end film SLRs ever had 100% viewfinders, anyway. Some of the
    > top-end digitals have them, too.
    >
    > What bothers me is that they tend to keep the same magnification in the
    > viewfinder as with full-frame. That is, the viewfinder in the D70 is
    > a cropped version of a 35mm viewfinder; the image is smaller, rather
    > than having more magnification. That's annoying. I should see the same
    That's essentially what I said above. It is the result of making the mirror and
    VF optics smaller and cheaper. It would even be nice to have 125% viewfinders
    which would be nice for action shooting. However, the tradeoff in an SLR
    viewfinder would be a smaller 'true' image area (0.6x or so).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

  20. #20

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckmancox.net> wrote in message
    > I think I understand the crop factor and why it produces relative
    > magnification. But, I'm still a little fuzzy on what manifests itself in
    > the viewfinder.
    > Do I see the same image I saw with the T90 (knowing that my subject will
    > actually be cut off at the waist when I play back that shot), or will I
    > actually SEE the 1.6x at work and get a visual image that shows my subject
    > framed from head to waist as if shot with a 480mm lens ?
    You will see the image as it will be recorded on the CMOS sensor. Your
    300mm lens will give you the same view through the finder as a 480mm lens
    on your T90. You do not need to compensate for the 1.6 crop factor when
    composing your shots. Keep in mind the 20d viewfinder, like your T90 and
    most SLRs, shows only about 95% of the actual image that will be recorded.

    jfitz Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast