Professional Web Applications Themes

EOS-350D implications for '300D & market - Photography

Unlike the recent Mark-II introductions, where each preceeding model was discontinued, Canon seems to be leaving the EOS-300D on the price list. If they indeed do this, and adjust the price down enough, it could remain their entry-level DSLR, and cause serious problems for the competition. I see that B&H has the '300D body at $780 today, but not having checked lately, that may not be a new price. Has Canon said anything officially about the fate and positioning of the '300D? -- Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com NOT speaking for any employer, client or ...

  1. #1

    Default EOS-350D implications for '300D & market

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: EOS-350D implications for '300D & market

    "Bob Niland" <com> wrote in message

    The 300D is to remain in the lineup with a suggested retail price of $799
    USD including the 18-55 lens. I have not heard if both the silver and black
    models will be offered at the new, lower price.

    jfitz Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Niland" <com> a écrit dans le message de

    my friend paid that price a month ago for the KIT , so 780$ is expensive I
    guess (yes it was a new seal box from a well lnown retailer)

    Chuck Guest

  4. #4

    The Rebel was always cheaper than the D70, so with the price reduction by
    Canon and the rebates by Nikon we're right back where we started. Now to
    see what happens with the D70.

    I would look for several improvements. I'll bet (whenever it comes out, as
    Nikon tends to wait and see what the competition has to offer) you'll see an
    8 megapixel camera with a way to use a cable release and maybe a "portrait"
    grip, which seems easy enough to add.

    I wonder about Nikon users and others jumping ship to Canon as this decision
    often has a lot to do with how many lenses you have in your collection and
    what brand they are.

    "Bob Niland" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  5. #5

    >> If they indeed do this, and adjust the price down [/ref]

    I didn't have the D70 exclusively in mind. I suspect
    that in any Canon vs. Nikon decision, the role of price
    is not as significant as it is with Canon .vs world.

    The other brands all seem to have locked onto the
    '300D's original "under-$1000" price point as the
    being the benchmark. If Canon decides to dramatically
    drop the price of the '300D, it will place the 2nd
    tier brands under quite a bit more pressure (and it
    was clearly painful for many of them to meet the $1000
    point already).

    But a dramatic drop could also increase the pressure
    on the high-end digicams. For users who don't need
    digicam-only capabilities like video, a low-end DSLR
    is an option. Heck, had the Sony DSC-F828 lived up to
    its early hype, I'd probably have one instead of a DSLR.

  6. #6

    In article <individual.net>, com
    says...

    OUCH! That smarts! Though I have gotten some truly WONDERFULL photos with my
    828, I still kick myself about once a week for having used a thousand dollars
    to get it.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  7. #7

    Default Sony 'F828 vs. DSLR, was: EOS-350D implications for '300D & market

    >> But a dramatic drop could also increase the pressure [/ref]

    Well, I see that Sony has discontinued it (with, apparently,
    ample unsold stock remaining), so you may shortly have a
    valuable collectible :-)

    As I hinted earlier, had the F828 not had several problems,
    I'd probably have one now:
    - CA
    - noise at useful ISOs
    - wouldn't accept heavy F717 lens accessories
    - wouldn't officially do max video to CF

    Burned or learned?

    The 'F828 "Dark Angel", had it lived up to the buzz (before
    the above issues were known), would have appealed to people
    also considering entry DSLR, and these people tend to have
    at least a little knowledge of what to look for (and look
    out for). The F828's problems, and the way Sony did the
    stealth-intro, probably poisoned the prime prospects (or
    at least enough of them).

    People are wondering if Sony will replace the DSC-F828,
    or just throw in the towel on the DSC-Fnnn line. The lack
    of Sony news on the 'F cams at PMA suggests that this
    is the end of the line.

    Is Sony too proud to learn from the mistakes?

    Have they decided there is no high-end digicam market?

    I suggest that there is a market for such a camera, but
    having fouled the nest once, Sony may not even realize it.

  8. #8

    In article <individual.net>, com
    says...

    I agree about the "fouled nest".

    I use the F-828 when the light is good or the flash will allow me to use ISO
    100 or 64, and under those cirstances I have gotten some really good
    pictures, but they would have been better if the camera wasn't a lame duck.

    I also have a Fuji S7000 that has problems of its own, but not to the extent
    that the Sony does.

    If I use the Fuji in RAW mode, and dont let the PhotoShop raw converter up-
    size the frame to 12mp I get a satisfactory picture most of the time. The
    Fuji sensor gives an odd "grainy" look to the picture, but only if you are
    pixel peeping or enlarging it to much (8x10 max thank you very much).

    I only bought the 828 because I though it would be an up-grade over my F-717
    but it wasn't. The 717 STILL takes a better picture than any digital camera
    I have owned, and its over 30,000 pictures now.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.