Professional Web Applications Themes

EOS20D image sharpness - Photography

I've heard a few reports about the images produced by the 20D being a little soft. Can this be corrected by sharpening in Photoshop (I use version 7)? If I've taken several hundred of images on a 20D can I sharpen them quickly in batch mode? And finally will I only notice lack any lack of sharpness on A4 prints or larger? Any other information I (and other potential 20D buyers) should know on this subject regarding the 20D? For the record I currently have a Powershot G5, but need to upgrade to a DSLR, preferably sticking with Canon as ...

  1. #1

    Default EOS20D image sharpness

    I've heard a few reports about the images produced by the 20D being a
    little soft. Can this be corrected by sharpening in Photoshop (I use
    version 7)? If I've taken several hundred of images on a 20D can I
    sharpen them quickly in batch mode? And finally will I only notice lack
    any lack of sharpness on A4 prints or larger?

    Any other information I (and other potential 20D buyers) should know on
    this subject regarding the 20D?

    For the record I currently have a Powershot G5, but need to upgrade to
    a DSLR, preferably sticking with Canon as I already have a EOS30,
    dedicated flash and three Canon lenses.

    Red Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: EOS20D image sharpness

    "Red Sheraton" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Or just turn up the sharpening that is done by the CPU in the camera; it's a
    menu setting.

    In general, professionally oriented cameras, by default, do less sharpening
    than point-and-shoots; this reflects the idea that you're probably going to
    want to have more control of it yourself. But you can adjust it to what you
    like.

    mc Guest

  3. #3

    It is early days for me with the 20D but the sharpness and contrast is good.

    I am sure a 1Ds MkII is even better but I don't have the wallet or arm
    strength for that.

    The 18-55mm is OK for A4, the 100mm Macro is much better.

    I expect shaper lens will improve things further, but I have to replace all
    my FD glass.

    Before I committed to a purchase I printed a review image at A3 to see how I
    liked it. My conclusion is it was at least as good as scanned film but with
    very low grain (noise).

    Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page29.asp

    Lester

    "Red Sheraton" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Lester Guest

  4. #4

    Any other opinions, please?

    Red Guest

  5. #5

    "Red Sheraton" <co.uk> wrote in message

    I pretty much agree with what has been posted and will add that Canon uses a
    fairly aggressive antialias filter in their SLRs to avoid Moiré pattern
    distortions. Nikon seems to use a less aggressive filter in theirs. Thus,
    Canon shots are not quite as sharp and Nikon shots can show some Moiré
    pattern distortion.

    Postprocessing can make the Canon shots sharper and it seems that many folks
    use some degree of sharpening.

    Charles Guest

  6. #6

    "Red Sheraton" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Sharp? Ya want sharp? How about this:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My%2020D%20images/Model%20Cars&picture=3
    or this:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My%2020D%20images/Model%20Cars&picture=8
    (1/18 model cars)
    or this:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My%2020D%20images/Day%20at%20the%20Races&picture=17
    full size Bugatti.

    First two were shot with the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro lens, the last with the
    Canon 28-135 f4-5.6 IS USM lens.
    All with a minimal amount of unsharp mask added in Pshop.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  7. #7

    Red Sheraton wrote:
    The 20D with standard 17~55 'kit lens' can produce ultra sharp images.
    Canon recommend Photoshop's unsharp mask at 300% with a 0.3 pixel radius
    to counter the effects of their anti alias filter.

    You could also use a dedicated program like ultra sharpen or many others
    if you choose. The images here: http://www.tecphoto.com.au/examples.htm
    were shot at 1600 ISO with a Canon 20D and the 17~55 Kit lens. The above
    (Canon) recommended sharpening was applied after it was resized. I also
    removed the digital noise of ISO 1600 before resizing.

    If image sharpness is the criteria of your purchase, buy one. They have
    a few reported problems. My Dad has his fair share of them with his but
    mine has not missed a shot in 3 months. I think of all the problems
    reported for these cameras 98% are from people who never bothered to
    understand the settings and their implication.

    Standard default settings will not produce great pictures. I had to live
    with mine for several weeks before I got as familiar with it as I was
    with a D70 Nikon. I wouldn't ever go back to a Nikon, incidently.

    Kiah
    One Guest

  8. #8

    In message <googlegroups.com>,
    "Red Sheraton" <co.uk> wrote:

    You have heard nonsense. The 20D is the sharpest Canon DSLR to date.
    It has the smallest spacing between pixels, allowing it to resolve a
    given lens better than any other Canon DSLR (and most by other
    companies, as well, except perhaps the new 12 MP Nikon). It also has
    the least aggressive anti-aliasing filter, allowing full transition from
    white to black in 2 pixels (exclusive), as compared to three in the 10D.

    The 20D is also the newest affordable DSLR made by canon, and one of the
    best selling of all brands, and many pictures available from it are from
    new users with green photography skills. The higher resolution of the
    sensor means that with a lens that is the limiting factor on a 10D, the
    20D image will look less sharp when the pixels from both are viewed at
    the same size. This means that the lens or technique is not sharp; it
    is not the camera's doing. A camera can only work with what is fed to
    it by the lens.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  9. #9

    In message <com>,
    "Charles Schuler" <net> wrote:

    >I pretty much agree with what has been posted and will add that Canon uses a
    >fairly aggressive antialias filter in their SLRs to avoid Moiré pattern
    >distortions. Nikon seems to use a less aggressive filter in theirs. Thus,
    >Canon shots are not quite as sharp and Nikon shots can show some Moiré
    >pattern distortion.
    >
    >Postprocessing can make the Canon shots sharper and it seems that many folks
    >use some degree of sharpening.[/ref]

    Generally true, but the 20D has a weaker AA filter than the 10D. There
    is absolutely nothing about 20D capture at the sensor level that is less
    sharp than its predecessors; quite the contrary. The pixels are closer
    together *AND* they have about 50% higher pixel-to-pixel contrast.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  10. #10

    In message <geHGd.9557$ru.3885fed1read07>,
    "Skip M" <net> wrote:

    I found myself using 300% or more at 0.3px with my 10D; with the 20D,
    150% is plenty (for viewing at 100% on the monitor).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  11. #11

    In message <com>, I,
    komm wrote:

    I should have said "potential" pixel-to-pixel contrast, as this is
    totally dependent on the optics and a lack of motion-blur.
    --

    John P Sheehy <komm>

  12. #12

    Charles Schuler <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    That's not true in general, just of the Nikon D70. The D100 has a
    pretty good antialias filter.

    Andrew.
    andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid Guest