Professional Web Applications Themes

EPS Clipping Paths - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have done a search on this, but I didn't find the specific answer to my question. Maybe someone can help me out? We occasionally place Photoshop EPS files with clipping paths, and we occasionally place TIFF files with clipping paths. Rather than debate what files we use and why, I really would just like to know why I see an inconsistency amongst the two file formats that contain clipping paths. A few notes: I understand that I can adjust the import options upon place, choosing "Photoshop Path" or none. Also, for all the Photoshop files (EPS or TIFF), there ...

  1. #1

    Default EPS Clipping Paths

    I have done a search on this, but I didn't find the specific answer to my question. Maybe someone can help me out?

    We occasionally place Photoshop EPS files with clipping paths, and we occasionally place TIFF files with clipping paths. Rather than debate what files we use and why, I really would just like to know why I see an inconsistency amongst the two file formats that contain clipping paths.

    A few notes: I understand that I can adjust the import options upon place, choosing "Photoshop Path" or none. Also, for all the Photoshop files (EPS or TIFF), there is only one Path per file, and it is saved as a "clipping path".

    Regardless of the import options, I can reset a TIFFs clipping path's frame to its bounding box by choosing "None". So in other words, I would want to make sure "Photoshop Path" is chosen under Object>Clipping Path, if I want to preserve the clipping path. This is true to CS's Help Index that states:

    To reset a clipping path to the default rectangular frame:
    1 Select an imported graphic, and choose Object > Clipping Path.
    2 Choose None in the Type menu, and click OK.

    But with our Photoshop EPS files, it doesn't seem to matter what I choose. In other words, selecting "None" or "Photoshop Path" yields the same visual result on screen, and even when exporting to PDF? Sure, the Artwork's bounding box on "None" is reset to the artwork's bounding box, but InDesign is still honoring the clipping path? - unlike the way it does not with the similar TIFF file?

    Is this unusual to our workflow, or has someone seen this happen with EPS files and clipping paths?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    jeffkr@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: EPS Clipping Paths

    EPS files are pretty well protected from external sources. The "E" does
    stand for encapsulated. If you want to be able to futz around with them,
    I think you'll need to save as PSD or TIF.

    I'm certainly open to correction on this.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  3. #3

    The clipping path is hardwired into the PostScript part of the EPS.
    It may be that theoretically InDesign would be able to disentangle the mess but basically in choosing EPS you state "Give me that path no matter what".
    That's the "Encapsulated" bit.

    Gerald
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That is very great to hear, and clears up the mystery.

    I do have a second question for the EPS files. If there is only one path and it is a clipping path, is there any benefits of setting the path to the "Photoshop Path" vs. "None"? We have always been leaving this setting as "None" for our EPS files. Please assume that the clipping path is built correctly with excluding overlapping shapes applied when necessary.
    jeffkr@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    is there any benefits of setting the path to the "Photoshop Path" vs.
    "None"?

    no, the result is the same in either case.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest