Professional Web Applications Themes

EPS Images - Macromedia Freehand

Why is it that EPS files saved from Freehand MX come into Quark/Photoshop/Artpro with a transparent border around the image. This makes the image dimensions bigger....

  1. #1

    Default EPS Images

    Why is it that EPS files saved from Freehand MX come into Quark/Photoshop/Artpro with a transparent border around the image. This makes the image dimensions bigger.
    Craig Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: EPS Images

    Check your art. Do you have something hidden? EPS files are bounded by
    the outer edges of the art.

    D. Guest

  3. #3

    This is on every eps made from freehand. Mostly the objects in the doent are
    pasted inside a box of the doent size. The box itself has no stroke.
    Even if you create a doc. 100mm x 100mm, draw a box at 0,0 and make it 100mm x
    100mm, fill it black with no stroke then save it as an EPS. Then open it in
    photoshop the size becomes something like 100.19 x 100.19.

    Craig Guest

  4. #4

    In article <d98tna$n4h$macromedia.com>,
    "Craig Cowley" <com> wrote:

    I think this is an old and known issue: FH's EPS export does not
    entirely conform to Adobe PS standards in that it does not round the
    values.

    I have noticed this since I stated using FH around vers. 3.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  5. #5

    Craig Cowley wrote:

    Two problems:
    Problem 1:
    Expect rounding errors when working in millimeters. The basic unit of
    measurement for both FH and Photoshop is Postscript points, 72 points per
    inch. Photoshop must round to the nearest pixel, which is equivalent to one
    point at 72 ppi.

    Problem 2:
    I believe that the raster preview, which FH includes in an exported EPS,
    adds one point to the dimensions of the the objects in the EPS. I consider
    this a bug.

    If you generate an EPS from a 284 point square object and place it back into
    FH, the size will display as 285 points. However, if you open the same EPS
    in Illustrator, the object is 284 points, the same as the size of the actual
    object exported.

    I have not checked the size of the object when printed to a Postscript
    printer. I suspect it would measure 284 points from the lower left corner of
    the placed EPS, precisely following the rules of Postscript, and ignoring
    the preview.

    Photoshop CS opens to the same size as the EPS preview size, but you will
    often see a transparent border row of pixels when anti-aliasing is
    deselected upon opening.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    It is correct, this has been in earlier versions of freehand, I agree that this
    is a bug in the software, but as its been in so many versions I would guess its
    not likely to be addressed. You also get this clear area show when the eps is
    imported into Quark, we have had issues where the doent is very small (25mm
    x 12mm) with a single cut and this clear area shows on films as a gap between
    images. Its very time consuming to open the eps in photoshop then measure the
    clear area on the left hand side and the top so that we can then move the image
    by the same amount in Quark. Its not possible to centre the picture within the
    picture box as the clear amount can be different between top and bottom or left
    and right. Is there an easy solution?

    Craig Guest

  7. #7

    In my admittedly limited experience, Illustrator writes accurate point-sized
    EPS files. If you have AI, you could probably write a script to open your FH
    EPS files and save to Illustrator EPS files.

    I don't know how accurate your results would be when working in millimeters.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    I've just tried opening the eps in AI CS. In Freehand the image is 74mm x 32mm, when it opens in AI the image is 74.0168mm x 33.0175mm.
    Craig Guest

  9. #9

    "Craig Cowley" <com> wrote in message
    32mm, when it opens in AI the image is 74.0168mm x 33.0175mm.

    Try saving your FH doc as an .ai8 doc and the reopen and save it as an eps
    from Illustrator. You need to create the eps in Illustrator to test Judy's
    approach (I think)

    mg

    Martin Guest

  10. #10

    Craig Cowley wrote:

    Okay, here's the traditional wisdom. The native unit of measure of
    Postscript is the point. Millimeters must be converted to points to
    communicate with any Postscript device. Different programs use different
    conversion algorithms.

    If your doent will be output to a Postscript device and you need
    placement accuracy to the nearest point, then you would get better results
    if you used whole points as your doent unit of measure. (This still won't
    solve the problem of FH adding pixels to to EPS size.)

    Objects dimensioned in whole points do export with accurate dimensions from
    Illustrator 10 which is EPS based. Illustrator CS and CS2 are PDF-based, so
    perhaps conversion algorithms have changed. That would be a question for the
    Illustrator forum.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  11. #11

    Exported the file as an AI file, opened it in AI CS and made the eps, the size is spot on.
    Thanks for you help
    Craig Guest