Professional Web Applications Themes

EPS images from QuarkXPress 6.5 to PDF are distorted with 7.0 Pro - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I actually have two questions. When using QuarkXPress 5.x and Acrobat 5.x I experienced none of the problems I am about to mention. Since updating to QuarkXPress 6.5 and Acrobat 7.0 Professional I now have a problem with the PDF writer not properly transposing my Quark EPS images to the point where they are produced in a distorted manner on any newly made PDF. I may have multiple EPS images in a doent or art file where some reproduce fine while others appear disjointed with the text jumbled and out of order. Also I have noticed when using the same ...

  1. #1

    Default EPS images from QuarkXPress 6.5 to PDF are distorted with 7.0 Pro

    I actually have two questions. When using QuarkXPress 5.x and Acrobat 5.x I experienced none of the problems I am about to mention. Since updating to QuarkXPress 6.5 and Acrobat 7.0 Professional I now have a problem with the PDF writer not properly transposing my Quark EPS images to the point where they are produced in a distorted manner on any newly made PDF. I may have multiple EPS images in a doent or art file where some reproduce fine while others appear disjointed with the text jumbled and out of order. Also I have noticed when using the same guidelines as with my previous 5.x set-up to produce a PDF, the new PDF that is now produced in 7.0 pro is not as clear as in the past while the file is also twice as large. It stands to reason that if the file is larger, the definition should be better. Not true at this point.

    Any insight into what is causing this problem or possible preferences I am missing on choosing in Acrobat 7.0 Pro, will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Dean_Quackenbush@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    PDFWriter was not part of Acrobat 5, 6 or 7. So perhaps you should
    describe your workflow in full detail, so we can understand what
    software you are using. Above all, never click the "Save as PDF"
    button!

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I create a doent in QuarkXPress 6.5. QuarkXPress has since 5.0 provided a direct link to Acrobats PDF creation (distiller) in a menu under "export as PDF". If you have Quark 5.0+ and add the Acrobat 5.0 and later program to your computer, this marriage will happen automatically. All that is required is you have both programs in you computer.

    When I was using QuarkXPress 5.0 and Acrobat (standard edition) 5.0, this marriage worked perfectly and all PDF's were created with good resolution taking up a modest amount of memory up to 300KB on larger projects. Yes, I chose the defaults for any critical materials and it did create even more vivid PDF's but at a larger file size. The Acrobat defaults almost always, with the exception of having to check "embed all fonts", did a fine job in the interpretation.

    Now, while using QuarkXPress 6.5 and Acrobat "Pro" 7.0 (marriage still exists between the two as in the past versions and offers a menu option), not only are the images not as clear in the newly created PDF's, but the file size is even larger than previous PDF's created in past editions. I must be missing some sort of preference I am not aware of or other form of preset. To emulate on screen a new PDF as clear as those in the past, I have to tell Acrobat to make the PDF in a minimum of 150 to 200 dpi and the highest quality compressed jpeg as well. But, now the file size is almost to the point of making it awkward to use as an attachment to send to many email services that limit the file sizes received.

    I am simply trying to solve this problem and get back to the consistent quality and relative modest file size of my previous system's capabilities. Thank you very much for any help in this matter.
    Dean_Quackenbush@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm getting stray rectangular boxes in my distilled files where there is an end-of-line in text. Running the same .PS file through an OS9 version and it comes out fine.
    mike_wile@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Dean,

    This link might help: