Professional Web Applications Themes

Epson 2200 & RIP - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello, I have searched the forums and have found very useful info on this printer, but I want to clarify a few things. I have Windows XP, and use many programs, but ID CS is what I primarily use and am concerned about. I have read good things about the 2200. From what I've read, it is accurate on CMYK color proofs (or as accurate as it gets for something in this price range). I am confused as to the postscript nature. I know it is not postscript, but that I can buy the Epson Stylus RIP software which will ...

  1. #1

    Default Epson 2200 & RIP

    Hello,
    I have searched the forums and have found very useful info on this printer, but I want to clarify a few things. I have Windows XP, and use many programs, but ID CS is what I primarily use and am concerned about.
    I have read good things about the 2200. From what I've read, it is accurate on CMYK color proofs (or as accurate as it gets for something in this price range). I am confused as to the postscript nature. I know it is not postscript, but that I can buy the Epson Stylus RIP software which will make it work like Postscript. My ID files often have eps files in them. My final output is to a Accuset 1200 with a Level 2 rip, and need something that will output exactly as this will (I don't any surprises with a graphic or font printing differently on each printer)
    I read on one of the archived forums that I don't need to buy the Stylus RIP as ID will RIP it for me. Am I understanding this correctly? Will ID RIP it for me the same way my imagesetter does?
    On another note, on Epson's site, I also found the 1520, which is less expensive. I have not found info on it on the forums. Does anyone have experience with it? I would assume the 2200 is a better investment even though it is slightly more expensive since so many people here are happy with it.
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Sue
    Susan_Sterner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Epson 2200 & RIP

    Susan,

    I cannot answer some of your questions, but I can say from personal experience that the Epson Stylus RIP is awful. Don't even waste your money. It is very limited and the doentation is pitiful. I returned mine after lots of frustration.

    I'm not sure what you mean about ID ripping the file. I have output ID files with TIFFs, EPS, PDFs and other components directly to my Epson 2200 using the standard Epson RGB driver. It works fine and outputs all postscript components well. I use a custom RGB ICC printer profile and the results are very good ~ not perfect, but very close.

    I have heard that ImagePrint RIP is an economical and excellent choice for the 2200. If you get it, you will need to get the version that handles Postscript if you want to output files from ID. I think it costs about $795 for the 2200.

    Lou
    Lou_Dina@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I've got a 1520 and use it with Adobe's now dead PressReady RIP. The
    output is almost dead on for proofs. The printer is slow and noisy but I
    can't argue with the results.

    If you go with the 2200 you can check this out for software RIPs:

    [url]http://www.birmy.com/powerrip_2000_epson.htm[/url]

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Lou,
    Thanks for the warning on the Epson Stylus RIP. You just saved me $145. Our budget is tight, so that's a big deal. Am I understanding you correctly that you use the 2200 without an extra piece of software, and are able to print eps with out a problem? It sounds like I would be able to get the print itself to look the same without extra software, but it might not be an exact color match. Is this correct?

    Bob,
    Thank you also for responding. I looked at that software link you gave me, and it looks good too. Am I understanding correctly, that if I bought the 2200 + that software, I would be able to print out my files exactly correct, with both the fonts and graphics identical to another PS printer (my imagesetter) + the color match?
    If I would go with the 1520 (thanks for the advice on color being good but speed being poor), would I need other software? You mentioned that you use the PressReady, but since it is now dead, I couldn't get it now I guess.
    Thank you both for your help! I know InDesign pretty well, but know very little on the hardware side. We're a small business, so I'm my own IT person. (with much help from you guys)

  5. #5

    I've never used Iproof so I can't testify for the product. I've heard
    it's good, but that's all I can go on.

  6. #6

    Susan,

    When printing to my Epson 2200 with the standard Epson RGB driver (version 5.4), I have absolutely no problems printing any InDesign file, even if it contains EPS, TIFF, PDF, ID elements (rectangles, rules, etc) or other content. Fonts print fine too, whether TruType, Postscript, etc.

    I obtained a custom RGB ICC printer profile for the standard Epson RGB driver from Dry Creek Photo. It gives me a very good color match. Perfection, in my opinion, is not achievable. It is a matter of just how 'perfect' or close you need it to be. The Dry Creek Profile is very good. The profile cost me $50. You simply download their target, print it as instructed, and mail it to them. They read it with a spectrophotometer and create a custom profile for your printer, paper, ink combination and email it back to you. Their link is <http://www.drycreekphoto.com/custom/customprofiles.htm>

    You will get more control from a good RIP, but you will have to find a good one and it will cost extra money (sometimes a lot of money). Depending on your needs, you might try the $50 custom profile first. If it is not adequate, then you can buy a RIP. The Epson 2200 is widely supported and there are a lot of RIP options out there.

    Hope this answers your questions.

  7. #7

    Lou, Bob, and all:

    Isn't it true that InDesign will print to any printer device, with or without PostScript? And with or without any additional software? Doesn't it rasterize all things as needed if the printer device is not PostScript? In other words, a host-based PS rip is built-in to InDesign itself?

    Wondering if I have it right,

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  8. #8

    Yes, it will print, but for proofing purposes I prefer to send CMYK data.

  9. #9

    Mike,

    Beats me! All I know is that I can print postscript fonts, EPS, PDF, TIF, etc, from ID to my Epson RGB driver and it comes out fine. I agree with Mike that a RIP provides better control for critical proofing work, but so far, my RGB driver with a custom ICC profile is close enough for my needs.

    I spoke to the people at ImagePrint about their RIP and they told me I would need the PS version to print from ID or to print other postscript output, such as PDF.

  10. #10

    Thank you all SO MUCH for your help! Now I can make an informed decision and not be quite as scared until the printer arrives and is set up. Our proofing is very rarely extremely color critical. It will still be much better than what we use now.
    I'm so grateful for this forum - I know the answers I receive are tried and true from the people who know best, not just a tech guy who has no clue beyond what his computer database tells him. (speaking from recent experience from Microsoft) :-)