Professional Web Applications Themes

Epson Scanners? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Sterling: There is no problem with your TWAIN driver. Everything is operating as designed. After you select "TPU" and receive the message about removing the mat and positioning the film (I assume you have your negs loaded into the holder, have removed the mat, and have positioned the holder on the glass (edge of holder against the plasting "frame" that holds the glass for proper alignment) so that the film resides in the center of the scanning area) you need to tell the TWAIN driver do a preview scan of the film. Above the greyed out "SCAN" button is a ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Epson Scanners?

    Sterling:
    There is no problem with your TWAIN driver. Everything is operating as designed. After you select "TPU" and receive the message about removing the mat and positioning the film (I assume you have your negs loaded into the holder, have removed the mat, and have positioned the holder on the glass (edge of holder against the plasting "frame" that holds the glass for proper alignment) so that the film resides in the center of the scanning area) you need to tell the TWAIN driver do a preview scan of the film. Above the greyed out "SCAN" button is a preview area containing two buttons, a "magnifying glass" button and a "sheet of paper button" (an icon similar to that used on copy machines). Click the "sheet of paper" button and you'll likely get a message that the scanner is warming up. Then, the scanner will scan and then give you a thumbnail of each image on the film strip. Each thumbnail will be checked by default, meaning that, if you click the scan button at this point (it will no longer be greyed out, by the way), each image will be scanned successively. Alternately, you may deselect one or any number of images less than all, and the Epson Twain5 driver will scan only those images that remain selected (you deselect by clicking on the checks).

    Elements is a great program, but the Epson Twain 5 driver provided with your scanner is also very well done. If you play around with those thumbnails, you will see that there are options to flip the image prior to scanning and some other nice toys.

    Oh, and you are in for a treat once you have scanned a few images.

    I don't know if it was on this forum or elsewhere, but I participated in a discussion where a user was trying to decide between this scanner and a dedicated film scanner costing thousands more. I guess I was persistent enough in that thread that one of the posters advocating the dedicated route went out and purchased the 2400 knowing that he could return it after proving me wrong for his own edification. Shortly after, he posted back praising the unit and thanking me for saving him thousands of dollars.

    I'm not so giddy as to believe that there are no advantages to be gained by investing $4000 or $5000 in a super hi-res dedicated unit, but, for most of us, planning to publish to the web or store albums on CD or print photos on printers limited to 4800 or less dpi (mostly less), unless the aim is to archive for some technology that we may be able to afford in the future, this writer is unable to take advantage of the benefits afforded by those expensive units.

    I own an Epson ES300C (perhaps Epson's first "consumer" color scanner) in addition to the 2400. I paid something like $1700 for it at CompUSA (it wasn't called CompUSA in those early days - perhaps someone can refresh my memory). It is a dandy unit, still works perfectly, and always made great scans of photos (never had any success with negs), is limited to 600 dpi, communicates through my parallel port, and, alas, is not supported by WinXP (because of the requirement for parallel support).

    I don't remember now, what I paid for the 2400, but it was something less than $400 - well less than that, I think. The 2400 is so much more capable for so much less money.

    Sorry to ramble, but I believe you will be very pleased with your new scanner and the way it works with Elements (I obtained Elements with my purchase of the 2400).

    Happy scanning.

    JCalloway
    John Calloway Guest

  2. #22

    BTW, Sterling, I'm scanning photos from slides this morning (I haven't sucbed to digital cams, yet - still make my images on film using SLR's).

    I usually set the Epson 2400 to scan negs at 1600 dpi, which, for me, is an acceptable balance between manageable file size and max-resolution.

    You can experiment to see what works best for you on your setup. You'll also want to play with Elements' color correction tools. In Elements, pull down Enhance, then Color, then Color Cast and follow the prompts.

    I have brought several faded, washed out old slides back to life with this tool.

    If you're scanning really old stuff, you'll be amazed at what Elements can do to restore color, contrast, etc.

    JCalloway
    John Calloway Guest

  3. #23

    John,
    Very nice explanation. Your investment in your early Epson scanner reminds me of how very inexpensive all the peripherals are these days . My excitement over buying 40 MB hard drives for $279 each ( and thinking they'd never fill up ), comes to mind, also.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  4. #24

    Brent:
    How right you are about peripheral pricing (and, computer pricing, as well).

    I don't feel too badly about my scanner investment. To get a much better deal, all I would have had to do is wait three or four more years . . . of course, by that time, my kids would have finished school and not really been able to take advantage of what was, for its day, absolutely leading of leading edges.

    That scanner was simple to use (although excruciatingly slow when used with what was then Astral Picture Publisher), and my kids both were proficient with it. Like you, my system included to huge 40 mb drives. Of course, one scan could eat up 25 or 30 mb, and trying to manipulate the image once captured was really a chore on my Swan 210 (386/12mHz/1mb RAM, LOL).

    If you wanted to use the "magic" wand to select a range of colors, you had to be careful about what you selected because the process might take a half hour or so, and, if you made a mistake, undoing would eat up another half hour (assuming, of course, that the computer didn't bog down and simply crash, leaving you to re scan (yet another half hour or more, LOL)).

    Ah, yes, those were the days. Elements can take a 1600 dpi full color photo and flip it 90 degrees in five seconds or so. You could have started the process in those early days and gone to bed only to return to find it still cooking the next morning. Yes, we now live in some marvelous times.

    Thanks for the reply.

    JCalloway
    John Calloway Guest

  5. #25

    I typed my graduation theses into a Philips word processor and it took one whole floppy. I had nightmares about it worrying what would happen if I added something to the text. Would the computer delete something of importance somewhere else and would we find out in time?
    We never threw any paperwork away, jsut so that we knew what the computer had deleted just to accommodate the new text added.

    Aahhh, those good old days.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  6. #26

    I typed mine on a typewriter. :(
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #27

    I have tried to scan B&W negatives with my Epson 2400.

    The resulting pictures trabsfered to PE-2 from the EPSON Application
    are very grainy (on the monitor). That despite scanning at 2400 dpi.

    What am I doing wrong ?

    ZR
    ZR Guest

  8. #28

    John... In the words of Gomer Pyle, Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya, thank ya.

    My Epson 2400 is doing things I never dreamed of, thanks to your tips.

    I bought this scanner for $60.00 at Sam's Club. It was their display model and didn't come with any instructions, except everything else was available.

    My negatives scanned perfectly and the color reproduction is outstanding. Man, am I impressed and all this for $60. It sure bet spending mega $$$ on a dedicated film scanner only.

    And this scanner is much faster than my 1260.

    Thanks again for the info, I never would have figured this out on my own. I can fly an airplane at night in a thunderstorm by myself, but scanning (as we say in Texas) is a whole-nuther ballgame.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  9. #29

    Sterling:

    Glad my tips worked for you. You aren't missing too much by not having the manual, and, if you by aspirin with just half the money you saved on your purchase, you'll be able to cope with plenty-a-headache for whatever you are missing.

    I'd send you my manual, but don't know where it is.

    The only reason I was able to figure out the Twain interface is because it is similar in layout to the one that works with my old Epson ES300C.

    Happy scanning.

    JC
    John Calloway Guest

  10. #30

    Has anyone here used the Epson Expression 1680? I just acquired one on ebay for $356.
    Richard L Hanlon Guest

  11. #31

    My negatives scanned perfectly and the color reproduction is outstanding.
    Man, am I impressed and all this for $60. It sure bet spending mega $$$
    on a dedicated film scanner only

    Sterling,
    I'm glad the Epson flatbed worked out for you, but just to give you another view...I was faced with scanning thousands of 35mm slides and negatives. I bought the earlier version of the Minolta film scanner that Brent mentioned, The Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II. I also have an HP 5470c flatbed, which I was using for scanning slides and negs. It comes with an external adapter for that purpose. The 5470 is a very fine flatbed scanner, in my opinion, but it is not meant for scanning film. It is slow, and the maximum native resolution is 1200 dpi. The Minolta is 2820 dpi, and it is much faster and easier to use, plus the dynamic range is better...blacks are truly black.
    I paid $250 for the Minolta, brand new, from buy.com. Not exactly mega$$$.
    I am so glad I bought the dedicated film scanner. I have scanned almost 3000 slides and a lot of film, both color and B&W. Like you, I am working on a family photo archive. The scan quality, speed and ease of use of the Minolta are just outstanding. I would never go back to scanning film with a flatbed.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  12. #32

    I have an iMav OS 10.2.6 .I have Elements 2 and an Epson 1200 scanner. In elements I do not get Twain as a source. I am properly connected . Please help.
    Jule Kahn Guest

  13. #33

    Jule, is the plug-in in Applications>Elements>Plug-ins>import/export? If so, did you install Elements after you installed your scanner driver? You may need to reinstall the driver if so.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  14. #34

    Or, check out the Epson site. I don't happen to see drivers for Epson 1200 listed under the models with OS X support. But I'm not real good at this, so try Barbara's suggestion first, because she's probably right.

    <http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&noteoid=17764>
    Beth Haney Guest

  15. #35

    Hmm, you may be right, Beth. I don't know for sure that the 1200 is supported.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  16. #36

    Hi, Beth. Just checked the apple site. No built-in support (image capture) but there should be a driver for X.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12