Professional Web Applications Themes

Epson Scanners? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have an Epson 1260 scanner that I like. I have an opportunity to purchase an Epson 2400 PHOTO. I'm under the impression that the 1260 will do everything the 2400 will do. mainly, I'm interested in scanning color nagatives and slides, and I think the quality would be identical with each scanner. Am I right? Thanks for you help. S.B....

  1. #1

    Default Epson Scanners?

    I have an Epson 1260 scanner that I like. I have an opportunity to purchase an Epson 2400 PHOTO. I'm under the impression that the 1260 will do everything the 2400 will do. mainly, I'm interested in scanning color nagatives and slides, and I think the quality would be identical with each scanner. Am I right?

    Thanks for you help.

    S.B.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Epson Scanners?

    Sterling,

    The 2400 has twice the resolution of the 1260. So, no, the quality will not
    be identical for both. However, if you are mainly interested in scanning
    slides and negatives you might want to look into scanners designed to be
    used only for film.

    It all comes down to whether or not you are satisfied with what you are
    getting from your present setup. If you are happy with the results, why
    switch.

    RobertHJones Guest

  3. #3

    Robert:

    Thanks for the information. In working with my 1260, I find that as I scan old family photos, I don't need all the resolution that the 1260 can create, so it is doing a surperb job in that regard.

    I'll check into the scanner for negatives only, since I'm not having any luck in using the 1260 for that purpose. The "invert" feature of Adobe Photoshop Elements renders a pale blue image when i try and turn the negative into a positve. I gather that the scanner you mentioned will render a much better looking positive than what I am able to produce.

    Thanks again.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:25:50 -0700, "Sterling Brooks" <KRSBTVaol.com>
    wrote:
    >I have an Epson 1260 scanner that I like. I have an opportunity to purchase an Epson 2400 PHOTO. I'm under the impression that the 1260 will do everything the 2400 will do. mainly, I'm interested in scanning color nagatives and slides, and I think the quality would be identical with each scanner. Am I right?
    >
    >Thanks for you help.
    >
    >S.B.
    Three weeks ago - I bought the Epson 2400 (on sale at the time at
    Staples with a $30 rebate, wasn't all too bad).

    After years of using HP scanners - I found this one better, and faster
    for paper prints.

    The reason I got it rather than one with a lower resoluition was the
    need for high resolution for Negative Scanning.

    My experience with scanning film negatives now on the Epson 2400 - Not
    Good !!!

    First, it is incerdibly slow on the 2400 resolution.
    Scond - the colors I get are really off... - all of them.
    Third - if you play with these higher resolutions you ought to use the
    USB 2.0 I/O of the scanner, but that speeds up only the transmission
    of the captured data, not the scanning itself.

    I stopped wasting my time with films on this Epson 2400, and when the
    merjet will offer a better film scanning device, I will get back to
    this process. Menwhile the EPSON 2400 is not a good solution for film
    scanning.

    ZR
    ZR Guest

  5. #5

    Sterling,
    Robert gives good advice on getting a dedicated film scanner. However, even with the 2400 flatbed, the Epson driver will do the conversion from negative to positive for you ( so you won't have to invert in Elements ) . I have the Epson 2400 and I'm satisfied with its results on the few negatives I scan . A dedicated film scanner will be much faster, though, with better resolution. Those are big plusses when you have a lot to scan.

    :-)

    Brent
    [edit]
    Minolta dualscan IIi is $279, refurbed at the Minolta website.
    "The Dimâge Scan Dual II offers first time users as well as advanced users an economical and versatile way to scan 35mm and Advanced Photo System film. This scanner combines three main features: simple USB connectivity, easy scanning operation and high-quality images. The Dimâge Scan Dual II is capable of scanning at a Maximum resolution of 2,820 dpi. This combined with a 12-bit A/D conversion, Minolta's Color Matching System and precision autofocus makes this unit an ideal choice for anyone looking for a high-quality, affordable scanner.

    The Dimâge Scan Dual II comes with the following items:
    - Dimâge Scan Dual II Film Scanner
    - 35 mm film holder FH-U1
    - Slide mount holder SH-U1
    - USB cable UC-1
    - AC Adapter AC-U1
    - Instruction Manual
    - Control Software for Windows 98, Windows 2000
    - Control Software for Macintosh OS 8.6 or higher
    - 6 month USA limited warranty
    Our Price: $279.00
    Availability: In Stock"
    brent bertram Guest

  6. #6

    Brent:

    Thanks so much for your prompt assistance. I now have both a 2400 and a 1260 scanner here on the desk. I'm not having a lot of luck making a decent quality image from a color negative. On each scanner, using Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2, the image has a nasty blue tent when I try using the "INVERT" feature in Adobe.

    I can't really justify the additional expense of a dedicated "film scanner" since I only will be scanning several dozen negatives for my geneology project.

    How were you able to get good results with the color on your 2400 when you scanned color negatives?

    Thanks
    Sterling
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  7. #7

    Sterling,
    Under "doent source" in the Epson Twain driver, use "TPU: Color negative film". TPU stands for "transparency unit". The driver will "auto invert", and you'll have a much better image to work with.

    :-)
    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  8. #8

    BRENT:

    Thanks again. I probably need to go down to I-Hop and buy you a nice gift certificate for your help in this matter.
    The I-Hop people know me and my wife very well...

    Regards,
    Sterling
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  9. #9

    Just keep dropping by, Sterling. Beth Haney , JoeHenry, and I are all genealogy diggers on this forum and we need some allies, with all the artists around <G> .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  10. #10

    Mmmmmm....IHOP! Swedish pancakes with lingonberries and lingonberry
    butter!!!

    YEAH!

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    I'm having such a grand time scanning thousands of doents and photos from my family that go back to Scotland in the 1600s. I have to confess, that I was not instrumental in this project, I'm just keeping the Epson scanners very warm as I archive everything.

    My dad's cousin did all the footwork and now that she is 82 (my dad is a spry 84 year old who still drives a motorhome all over--- not to worry--- he drives better than most 20 year olds BTW---) she doesn't have a good grasp on what all this technology can do in order to preserve the hard work she has done over the past 30+ years.

    I feel compelled to archive all the tin-types, photos, negatives and doents because so much info can be lost so easily. My cousins will get a really nice Christmas present in the form of several CDs (if I don't go insane from sitting behind 3 PowwerMac computers and Epson scanners.)

    I'll keep an eye on this discussion board. It has been a great learning experience for this old pilot and I very much appreciate the guidance from all who have taken the time to post a reply.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  12. #12

    Sterling,
    If you are interested in why you were getting that blue cast to your scans, there was a thread I read today about scanning negatives. Negatives have an orange cast to them, so when you invert them in photoshop that orange cast becomes blue. You can use adjustment techniques to correct for that cast, but scanners designed for negative film will invert and correct the native orange color cast automatically.
    Eric Matthes Guest

  13. #13

    Welcome, Sterling! And will I be "seeing" you on the Reunion discussion list, too?!
    Beth Haney Guest

  14. #14

    Beth:

    I purchased Reunion 8 for my Powermac a few weeks ago but I haven't yet had the opportunity to start the software yet. With thousands of doents and pictures to go in the scanning process, I'll have to wait until I get further along until I get into the Reunion 8.

    R8 looks like a great program I might add.

    Sterling
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  15. #15

    Sterling, i just got to know something, is that your real name ?

    sorry to go off the rockin epson scanner topic
    JodiFrye Guest

  16. #16

    Sterling Brooks
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  17. #17

    I'm having such a grand time scanning thousands of doents and photos
    from my family that go back to Scotland in the 1600s.

    Sterling you're a glutton for punishment. I like to read my families old doents and look at the old pictures but scanning them in is getting really old! I've got an Epson 1250 which evolved into your 1260 and it's just soooooooo slow. I'm still trying to talk my wife into letting me buy one of those Minolta scanners Brent recommended as I have thousands of slides that I'd like to get into my genealogy "project". Oh well,it's a labor of love and someday my great, great grand kids will thank me, right?

    ;-)

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  18. #18

    Joe:

    Yes, I hope your great grandkids will see the treasure that you saved for them. In my case, I'm doing and I don't even have any children!

    My line of the Brooks family has come to a dead end. Even though there were 6 kids in my fathers family (he had 2 other brothers) my only male out of this group cousin have done a terrible job at not producing kiddos.

    I suspect I'm doing this out of guilt so the family name will be remembered. We came all this way from Scotland in the 1600s and this is the end of the road. Like that Scottish song, "you take the high road and I'll take the low road..." and neither one made it to the end!

    Well, at least my female cousins who had bambinos will have something to pass down to their kids. I think they should buy me lunch...
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  19. #19

    Brent:

    I tried this, but when I go from "flatbed" to "TPU: Color negative film", I get a message that says "REMOVE THE REFLECTIVE DOENT MAT AND MAKE SURE THE FILM IS POSITIONED CORRECTLY." I have the option to click on "OK" and when I do, the "SCAN" feature becomes unhighlighted and I no longer am afforded the option of actually getting to scan my negatives.

    While the 2400 Photo is much faster than my 1260, I'm still at square one in scanning negatives. Guess I'll just have to explore the option of the Minolta film scanner for $279.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  20. #20

    Well, Sterling,
    That's a TWAIN driver problem, or a conflict. "Scan" is not supposed to be greyed out. Have you loaded the 5.71 driver from Epson? If not, download the latest driver and load it. If you are running the latest driver, I'd remove the scanner in Windows and do a full installation of it, and see if I had better luck.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast