Professional Web Applications Themes

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and Elements - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what color management works the best? In particular, I am wondering if I should use "Printer Color Management" or "Same as Source" for my Print Space Profile (found in Print Preview). Also, which setting should I use in the Epson properties box? THANK YOU! Jason...

  1. #1

    Default Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and Elements

    Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what color management works the best? In particular, I am wondering if I should use "Printer Color Management" or "Same as Source" for my Print Space Profile (found in Print Preview). Also, which setting should I use in the Epson properties box? THANK YOU!
    Jason
    jason weiner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and Elements

    "jason weiner" <j02446> wrote in message
    > Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what
    > color management works the best?
    I followed the instructions that came with the printer (I think they came
    with the printer...I did read this somewhere in some doentation :) ).

    In Elements, I set the color management to use the profile that matches the
    paper type I'm using. In the printer driver, I turn off color management by
    going to the "Advanced" options, choosing "ICM" for the color management,
    and selecting "None" in the settings drop-down.

    I also tried some printouts using the default settings in the printer driver
    (which, of course, include the paper type profile, since you have to set
    that in the driver settings), leaving the settings in Elements to basically
    do nothing (I forget what I actually chose to do that though). I can't say
    that I can really tell the difference between those two methods.

    The one printout I did where I accidently allowed both Elements and the
    printer driver to do the color management, the photo printed out with very
    obviously incorrect color. So the color management is definitely doing
    something. It just appears to me that as long as you get one or the other
    of Elements and the printer driver, but not both, to do the color
    management, you'll get a nice printout.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  3. #3

    Peter,

    I am not understanding how you set PSE's color management to a specific media profile. In version 1, using Full Color Management, you may choose Adobe RGB for profile, using Limited C.M. you may choose sRGB profile, using No C.M. you may choose your monitor profile. Is it that version 2 is so different?

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    "Nancy S" <nancyandtomsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > [...] In version 1, using Full Color
    > Management, you may choose Adobe RGB for profile, using
    > Limited C.M. you may choose sRGB profile, using No C.M.
    > you may choose your monitor profile. Is it that version 2 is
    > so different?
    I dunno. I've never used V1. However, the color management you're talking
    about sounds like the doent color management in Elements. That is, used
    for editing. What I'm talking about is a printing-specific feature.

    In the Preview dialog in V2, there's a setting you can choose under the
    Color Management that gives you access to all of the color profiles
    installed on your computer. With the Epson 2200, profiles that correspond
    to each kind of paper the printer knows about exist, and you just pick the
    one that goes with the paper you're using.

    Sorry I can't be more specific. I don't have Elements installed on this
    computer, so I can't go look at the user interface just this moment. I do
    know that to display the options I'm talking about, you have to expand the
    dialog (there's a button called "Advanced" or "More options" or something
    like that), and then you have to select "Color Management" from a top-level
    dropdown, which switches the options you can adjust to those that apply to
    color management for the printout.

    While I replied because I'm using the exact same printer, and have done
    exactly what Jason is asking about, I suppose this same procedure is what
    anyone who has created a printer/paper-specific profile would wind up doing.
    I haven't used the tools, but I gather you can get software that allows you
    to print a sample printout, scan it back in, and create a color profile that
    will adjust the colors so that what you scan is what comes out of the
    printer. Once one has created a profile that way, I'm guessing the method
    for getting Elements to take advantage of it is the same as for the built-in
    profiles that come with the Epson 2200.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  5. #5

    Pete,

    I think my question originated from the fact that the media specific profiles, which you mentioned, I consider to be in the Epson Print Driver not PSE, hence my inability to comprehend. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #6

    Jason,
    Ian Lyons has both a tutorial on Printing in Photoshop, and a review of his purchase an experience with the Epson 2100 ( similiar to the 2200 ) . Perhaps they'll contain some answers .
    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/epson2100/2100_1.htm>
    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.htm> .

    You are obviously in the right place ( Print Preview ) trying to select the output space profile. Generally, Printer Color Management will be your best bet ( unless you have a media specific profile ) . Reading the tutorial will show you that for printing to a media profile, " No Color Managemen" should be selected in the Epson driver advanced settings. There are several modes in the Epson advanced settings that are appropriate for use with the "Printer Color Management" output space profile.

    Ian is much more articulate ( and knowledgeable ) than I , so check out the tutorial.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the reply's. Peter--I didn't realize that if one chooses a color profile for a specific paper type, then one should also choose in Printer Properties (advanced) the ICM--No Color Adjustment option as well. The Epson properties box gives you three choices: Color Controls, PhotoEnhance, and ICM--It is true that if you have a profile for the specific paper type you can ignore those features of the printer? Interesting.
    Thanks, Brent for those articles. I'll study them (again) but I think it is hard to boil down the advice for using PS7 to Elements.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE--I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
    Jason
    jason weiner Guest

  8. #8

    Jason,
    If you have a media profile, that profile contains all the information the color engine needs to take your color managed image and print it effectively. That's the beauty of a good media profile, and the reason why "no color adjustment" is the right choice in the Epson Advanced settings.

    Color Controls, PhotoEnhance, and Automatic are all valid options for using the "Printer Color Management" output space profile under "Print Preview".

    ICM mode is only appropriate when used with the generic printer driver, listed in the Output Space Profile , and this is generally a poorer choice than either of the two above choices.

    Printing in Elements is virtually identical to printing in Photoshop, though you have fewer color management options in Elements itself.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:09:22 -0700, "jason weiner" <j02446>
    wrote:
    >Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what color management works the best? In particular, I am wondering if I should use "Printer Color Management" or "Same as Source" for my Print Space Profile (found in Print Preview). Also, which setting should I use in the Epson properties box? THANK YOU!
    >Jason
    I had the same problem with the 2200. Under preferences, color picker
    I checked windows and my photos come out wonderful now.

    rapter Guest