Professional Web Applications Themes

Equation Editor in Indesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've been designing Math books using Microsoft Word. I'm having problem importing math equation into Indesign. First, I haven't found anything for Indesign except for Math Magic which is not very suitable for me (Too expensive, too big, can't edit my own shortcuts for "blind typing"). Second, I cannot Import EMF/SWF or any other vector graphics unless it's copied directly from Illustrator. The objects are pixaleted not only in the preview but also when I print that out. I don't know why it is so. I am using Indesign CS ME version. If anyone can suggest how I can type ...

  1. #1

    Default Equation Editor in Indesign

    I've been designing Math books using Microsoft Word. I'm having problem importing math equation into Indesign.

    First, I haven't found anything for Indesign except for Math Magic which is not very suitable for me (Too expensive, too big, can't edit my own shortcuts for "blind typing").

    Second, I cannot Import EMF/SWF or any other vector graphics unless it's copied directly from Illustrator. The objects are pixaleted not only in the preview but also when I print that out. I don't know why it is so. I am using Indesign CS ME version.

    If anyone can suggest how I can type math equations in Indesign please.

    Thanks in advanced.
    Availor_Black_Bird@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Equation Editor in Indesign

    If you go to the following link on the Adobe website, you can find lists of 3rd party plug-ins for InDesign:

    <http://www.adobe.com/products/plugins/indesign/main.html>

    In the list I see an equation editor from i.t.i.p oHG called InMath you should check out. (I've never had need for an equation editor myself so I can't recommend it myself.)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Mathtype (http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/) will let you make
    equations that you can save as EPS or PDF and place into *any* DTP app, not
    just Indesign.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    MathType is the big brother of Equation Editor, so its interface will be
    familiar, too.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > MathType is the big brother of Equation Editor

    Yes, I was hesitant to mention that because I know what the next question
    would be: "Can I use Mathtype to get my equations out of Word and into an
    EPS or PDF file?".

    And I don't know the answer to that.

  6. #6

    When I loaded MathType, it took over for EE in all my Office apps. It's too
    late for me to try this now, but I bet any EE-created equation could be
    opened in Word and saved as EPS by MathType. IIRC, the big difference
    between the two is this capability.

    And while we're talking third-party tools, I am totally sold on the latest
    version of Snag-it for screen captures...it even gets the rounded Win XP
    dialog boxes right. (I have no commercial interest in Techsmith, but it's
    nice to plug a Michigan company.)

  7. #7

    ....but I bet any EE-created equation could be
    opened in Word and saved as EPS by MathType.

    That is correct. All MT and EE equations can be exported as EPS from MS Word. In fact, EE equations are automatically converted to MT equations.

    Keep an eye on your fonts. MathType likes to use Symbol Italic for lower case Greek. This will likely show up as a missing font when you place the EPS files into InDesign.

    Thanks,
    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, John

    I think I've got an older version of Mathtype (or maybe I've just never
    tried to do anything with equations in Word).

  9. #9

    I did all kinds of tests trying to get around buying Mathtype. Any EPS files I did make from Word 2000 did not work reliably in Indesign. That's probably because you can't actually export out an EPS or PDF file of just the equation in Word using the standard equation editor. You have to make an EPS or PDF of the a whole Word doent. Also according to my tests the EPS made from Word was not editable later.

    I ended up paying for the Mathtype program. You can get a Mathtype trial version for free. It goes into lite mode on expiry. Initially I thought that might be useful. It isn't as you can't save the equation out to the EPS filename.

    Hmm, wondering about pixilated output. When Mathtype is saved without a header, Indesign creates it's own vector image on placing the EPS file which looks perfect and prints perfect.

    Now that I've started using Mathtype, I think this is the way to make equations, as separate EPS files. If equations are made in Word using the standard equation editor, the equations are not exportable to a desktop publishing program. It's then a waste of time for the author to create all the equations in Word and the desktop publishing person to create them all over in Mathtype.
    Ben Guest

  10. #10

    I have discovered (the hard way) that version 5.1 of MathType on the Mac doesn't work well with OpenType fonts. If you choose an OpenType font for its Text style, the space characters print to PostScript printers as X-ed out boxes. They appear fine on screen and in an exported PDF (which you can then print correctly) but you can't print directly to a PostScript printer.

    My two e-mails on this to MathType support yesterday have so far elicited no response (not even an acknowledgment that my e-mails were received).

    I don't know if this is fixed in the 5.2 version available for Windows; I hope so because that would mean that when 5.2 comes out for Mac the problem will go away.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest