Professional Web Applications Themes

Equipment Disease - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have been taking photographs for many years now, and I have come to the sad conclusion that I suffer from Equipment Disease. This disease manifests itself by the seeming uncontrolable desire to by new cameras and other associated equipment. Of course all purchases are so that I can take better photographs. Obviously the new stuff will be the key to improving my compentancy. Sad to say I don't believe that I ever truly utilized all the capabilities of the soon to be replaced camera. So I have the new camera, but strange to say I remain pretty much the ...

  1. #1

    Default Equipment Disease

    I have been taking photographs for many years now, and I have come to the sad conclusion that I suffer from Equipment Disease. This disease manifests itself by the seeming uncontrolable desire to by new cameras and other associated equipment. Of course all purchases are so that I can take better photographs. Obviously the new stuff will be the key to improving my compentancy. Sad to say I don't believe that I ever truly utilized all the capabilities of the soon to be replaced camera. So I have the new camera, but strange to say I remain pretty much the same picture taker I always was. Hmm, strange disease this.
    I know that one needs a "decent" camera to take acceptable pictures, but from reading this forum, I would say that Equipment Disease is an affliction suffered by many.
    Mel_Lewis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Equipment Disease

    Mel,

    Do you feel better now after confessing? Look on the brightside, our national economy needs consumers...and there have to be some joyous perks to working full time...One of my sons makes up for me not doing my fair share in the consumerism department.

    Has PSE helped you improve your images though? My digital camera images are decidedly better straight across the board after some editing in the program.

    Nancy

    EDIT: good eye catching topic title!
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    A photograph that is pleasing to the eye can be taken with ANY camera. My mother-in-law never had anything but a very simple point and shoot 35mm camera, but she always seemed to come up with some fun pictures. I think we need to be aware of the quality of light and spend a little more time composing our pictures. While it's true that all of the new cameras coming out are loaded with more features than we will probably every use, if we would just get back to the basics of composition and lighting we all could probably do more with the equipment that we already have.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have a bad case of it and I don't know that there is a cure. It
    seems to infect golfers also. If you are a golfer and
    photographer it is hopeless. Thank God for loving, understanding
    spouses.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There is a cure: just don't buy a new camera before you understand everything in the manual. This will provide enough delay to miss at least 3 new cameras.

    BTW, I don't play golf; I 'm still ually active.... ;-)

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    hum, sorry, i can't afford this disease ;) although ain't nothing wrong with it...spend and be happy. Death is part of life and life is part of death...where would you prefer to spend your money taking pictures ?
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    My name is Grant and I am an addict.

    I have a camera a year habit.

    I main-line hypo and sniff D 76 developer.

    In the privacy of the dark corners of my home I have been know to push
    process and hyper-sensitize TRI X. ... Hell I have even been know to try a
    ferrotype or two.

    Oh god help me break this habit or I am lost.

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Well I don't have it ... well maybe just a bit ... but not cameras :).

    I have Elements & Photoshop disease ... can't resist a new book, brush, filter, gradient ... oh well I guess I am just a collector.
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    I'm battling the disease by vowing that I won't buy any more equipment until
    I start taking photographs instead of snapshots. That should keep me out of
    the B&H website for a long, long time....

    :-(

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Chuck, you are so full of crap ! You are an amazing photographer and i can't wait to see your work posted as the featured artist ! Then everyone else will see how you talk down about your work and will agree with me about what you are full of ;)

    Chuck sends me his beautiful images from time to time...believe me...he is not a snapshot photographer !
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Jodi, even a blind pig can find an acorn every so often...

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    lol

    Chuck, you know I love you but you need to stop...or else...I will post all the images you have sent me. I got that real y one of you in the cowboy hat...remember ? :)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I'm suffering from a variety of this disease : software disease... It seems I can't stop looking at
    them, contemplating their functions, and many times, I sucd to my addiction and buy the latest
    version. Oh please, God, have mercy on my soul (and hard drive). May you also protect my OS from
    being corrupted by the nasty demon of the rogue DLL...

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  16. #16

    It looks like most of us have it in one form or another
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    all I did was read this post and now I just have to run out and get a new camera. I blame it all on you........LOL
    George Guest

  18. #18

    I think I've just about gotten over this forever chasing after a better camera, or lens for a particular type of shot. In looking over some old photos slides from long forgotten cardboard cartons about ten years ago, I discovered my better photos were taken in my early years when the camera equipment was pretty basic. A few of the really good shots were taken in 120 B&W on my first camera, a flip-out concertina Balda Baldinette with a 80mm Schneider lens. That was a real sobering discovery!

    Shan
    Shan_Ko@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Shan, I am with you! I have some great photos from a long long time ago when equipment was basic. I had an old Calypso, that really dates me,,,,,
    We just did the best with what we had. But, now, with PSE, we can take those old photos, and work with them, transform them, into something really far beyond what we originally had! And my goodness, is it fun.

    This is all a new hobby for me, and I love it. (Tis fun to buy a new toy now and then, though.)
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Shan

    Funny you should mention this. Over they years I have had two wonderful do
    everything type systems. Notably a very good Pentax one consisting of
    eight excellent fixed length Super Takumar lenses and later an equally
    attractive Nikon system consisting of three overlapping zooms an one fixed
    lens. The shocking truth is that 85% all my shots were taken with a 50 mm f
    1.4 standard lenses and the basic camera. All the rest of my glass only
    accounted for 15% of my shooting and the majority of that was in the 35 - 85
    mm range. The one tool that really did create a huge difference in my
    shooting quality was when I purchased a good hand held meter, to this day I
    almost always over ride my meter with what I get from the hand held.

    While you think I would learn from this I haven't as I am in the process of
    changing all my Nikkors for the state of the art lenses and maybe then I
    will be satisfied.

    g.

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast