Professional Web Applications Themes

errant process query - MySQL

Hi I have a question in relation to errant queries. Now once and a while the database that I'm using gets itself into a bit of "state" due to errnt process. If you go in and manually kill that process the database then starts perfoming as it should. Now this involves manual intervention, now I was thinking about a reaper process (killing zombie queries), I know there may be an issue relating to time queries take to run(ie a really big query may appear to have hung, but they are still extracting the data). Now not know mysql that well, ...

  1. #1

    Default errant process query

    Hi

    I have a question in relation to errant queries. Now once and a while
    the database that I'm using gets itself into a bit of "state" due to
    errnt process. If you go in and manually kill that process the database
    then starts perfoming as it should.
    Now this involves manual intervention, now I was thinking about a
    reaper process (killing zombie queries), I know there may be an issue
    relating to time queries take to run(ie a really big query may appear
    to have hung, but they are still extracting the data).
    Now not know mysql that well, can I ask the following questions?
    Is the concept of a reaper frought with danger and such a bad idea?
    Does mysql have any sort of monitoring facility to determine if a
    thread has a period of inactivity, hung itself? (at this stage not
    concerned with db overhead, as would probably consider getting a
    chunkier machine)

    Alternativley could you point me in a direction of any useful
    doentation. Before I get flammed, yes I know how to use google, and
    have done a broad search, but not exactly sure of what I'm after, so
    I'm trying to pick the brains of some experts.

    Any tips and pointers would be useful, thanking you indvance for your
    time and consideration, and I look forward to your reply.

    David

    Le Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: errant process query

    >I have a question in relation to errant queries. Now once and a while

    My interpretation of this is that your process is holding a MySQL
    lock, which is blocking other queries. The process is perhaps off
    doing something else besides a query. It is premature to say that
    there is anything "errant" about the query or the process. And
    killing it may be asking for data corruption that the lock was
    supposed to prevent.

    The term "zombie" has a specific technical meaning on UNIX and UNIX-like
    systems, and you can't kill "zombie" processes, they are already stuck
    trying to exit. What is the process REALLY doing?

    Use "show processlist". Is the process in the middle of performing a
    query? What query? Or is it off doing something in the real world?

    Is the concept of a "restaurant reaper" who throws out customers who
    haven't finished their meal in 10 minutes a bad idea?

    There should be no need for such a thing. What supposedly hung,
    the process or the query? They are different.

    Gordon Guest