Professional Web Applications Themes

Error 50 files open - FileMaker

I recently discoverd a major problem in Filemaker 6 Unlimited. I've made a webshop wich uses 7 databases, but filemaker frequently gives the error message there are already 50 files open. When this error occures no one can login anymore except for the users that are already logged in. The only sollution I have so far is to restart filemaker. I am using tokens to guide visitors correctly through de webshop. It seems that when users log in and thus create tokens, filemaker creates a file that it sees as a database. Does anybody experienced this before and what is ...

  1. #1

    Default Error 50 files open

    I recently discoverd a major problem in Filemaker 6 Unlimited.
    I've made a webshop wich uses 7 databases, but filemaker frequently
    gives the error message there are already 50 files open.
    When this error occures no one can login anymore except for the users
    that are already logged in.
    The only sollution I have so far is to restart filemaker.
    I am using tokens to guide visitors correctly through de webshop.
    It seems that when users log in and thus create tokens, filemaker
    creates a file that it sees as a database.
    Does anybody experienced this before and what is the solution.
    I know I can get the webserver connector and devide the traffic over 2
    or more servers, but that would mean I can serve 86 users and thats not
    the solution.

    Boner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error 50 files open

    I'm confused. Are you saying you only have 7 files, but Filemaker tells
    you you have over 50?

    Boner wrote:
    > I recently discoverd a major problem in Filemaker 6 Unlimited.
    > I've made a webshop wich uses 7 databases, but filemaker frequently
    > gives the error message there are already 50 files open.
    > When this error occures no one can login anymore except for the users
    > that are already logged in.
    > The only sollution I have so far is to restart filemaker.
    > I am using tokens to guide visitors correctly through de webshop.
    > It seems that when users log in and thus create tokens, filemaker
    > creates a file that it sees as a database.
    > Does anybody experienced this before and what is the solution.
    > I know I can get the webserver connector and devide the traffic over 2
    > or more servers, but that would mean I can serve 86 users and thats not
    > the solution.
    >
    > --
    Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California

    Howard Schlossberg Guest

  3. #3

    Boner wrote:

    > I recently discoverd a major problem in Filemaker 6 Unlimited.
    > I've made a webshop wich uses 7 databases, but filemaker frequently
    > gives the error message there are already 50 files open.
    Are you absolutely certain about this message?
    Can you mail me a screenshot of this message, or put
    it on a website?
    > When this error occures no one can login anymore except for the users
    > that are already logged in.
    > The only sollution I have so far is to restart filemaker.
    > I am using tokens to guide visitors correctly through de webshop.
    > It seems that when users log in and thus create tokens, filemaker
    > creates a file that it sees as a database.
    Nope, that can't be the problem. Or my version of FM 6 U is
    different to yours... A lot of tokens used in some of my solutions,
    and this has never occurred.
    > Does anybody experienced this before and what is the solution.
    Never had the 50 files open error, although I believe it exists.
    One of my users did try to open a 51st file and got it... but
    it was a real file...

    Ummmm... dang, I think this has me beat on current info.

    Cheers

    Webko
    Tim Booth Guest

  4. #4

    But you also said:
    > > frequently
    Which is it?
    > > My guess is that it was to busy.
    > > The day it happend I had over 2000 unique visitors.
    Yes, well, that really isn't very high traffic... the standalon box
    runs 35K requests /day (local proxying makes unique visitors a
    meaningless number)

    > > I don't know how filemaker keeps track of all the tokens
    FileMaker doesn't - the client machine does. That's why you
    need to keep the tokens alive from page to page - if FM
    tracked them, then you wouldn't need to.

    Could be a memory issue on FileMaker, or a bad reboot at
    some stage, which does cause odd errors at times.

    Webko
    Tim Booth Guest