Professional Web Applications Themes

Error Executing Database Query - Coldfusion Server Administration

About three times a week, we get a ton of errors for "Error Executing Database Query", all at once. That is about as descriptive as it gets. It does tell us the line and the exact SQL statement it tried to run, but when we copy and paste the SQL into a query browser it runs fine. It's almost like there is a connection failure somewhere between CF and the db that is causing this "error"? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks for any help....

  1. #1

    Default Error Executing Database Query

    About three times a week, we get a ton of errors for "Error Executing Database
    Query", all at once. That is about as descriptive as it gets. It does tell us
    the line and the exact SQL statement it tried to run, but when we copy and
    paste the SQL into a query browser it runs fine. It's almost like there is a
    connection failure somewhere between CF and the db that is causing this
    "error"? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks for any help.

    OkTulsa Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error Executing Database Query

    It sounds to me like the connection between your DB server and CF server is
    dropping. Where is the DB server in relation to the CF server? Did the DB
    get taken down for maintenance? Is the problem always at the same time of
    day? what time of day is that? Does it happen for ALL queries? When the
    problem is manifesting, can you make a connection from the CF server to the
    DB server using [insert name of appropriate DB client software here]. Can
    you even ping it during these times? Does anything get logged on the DB
    end of things?

    There's plenty of invesigation here for you to do.

    --
    Adam
    Adam Guest

  3. #3

    Adam Cameron wrote:

    As well as all that Cameron says, you will probably want to investigate
    load as that can be a root cause to many of the items he suggests. I.E.
    maybe it is too many simultaneous requests causing something to be dropped.

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    Where is the DB server in relation to the CF server?
    We run a clustered, load balanced environment involving seven web servers
    running on windows boxes. The Informix database is running on a separate linux
    box, but all in the same domain.

    Did the DB get taken down for maintenance?
    No

    Is the problem always at the same time of day? what time of day is that?
    There is not a real consistency with when it happens, but if there is a more
    common time it would be early afternoon

    Does it happen for ALL queries?
    No. Some people get through just fine which makes me think it is one or two
    of the seven web servers that is having the problem. But we don't really have
    any way of telling which one it is.

    When the problem is manifesting, can you make a connection from the CF server
    to the DB server using [insert name of appropriate DB client software here].
    Informix's software is not very user friendly, but i'll try.

    Can you even ping it during these times?
    With some queries getting through, I would think yes.

    Does anything get logged on the DB end of things?
    Not that I have seen, but I'll check again.

    OkTulsa Guest

  5. #5

    I was able to get a dump of the entire error, which is returning an informix
    error code of -408. The description of that error is below. Does anyone know
    that this means? Thanks to all for the help.

    -408 Invalid message type received from the sqlexec process.
    This internal error indicates a problem in the communication between the
    database server and the library functions that call it. Make sure that your
    program software is compatible with the database engine in use. If the error
    recurs, please note all cirstances and contact Informix Technical Support.

    OkTulsa Guest

  6. #6

    > Does it happen for ALL queries?

    When you say "web server", I presume you mean "CF server", yeah?

    You should be able to see which of the CF servers are reporting the error
    by looking at their logs.

    Is there any pattern as to which tables or other DB assets are being hit by
    these queries? Number of rows being returned? Could you post an example
    of an error (all of it).

    On Oracle (I know nothing about Informix, so bear with me on the Oracle
    stuff) it's possible for the DB to not allow for as many connections as CF
    will want to make with it. If CF thinks it can have 500 connections at
    once and Oracle only permits 300... errors will crop up. However the error
    message is informative. Maybe there's something similar on Informix, but
    the reported error is more vague.

    I think Ian might be onto something with the load thing. Is "afternoon" -
    which is when you say you see this the most - your busy time of day? Or to
    put it around the other way... does this happen more at busy times of the
    day rather than slow times?

    It might be worth getting FusionReactor or something to keep an eye on what
    DB traffic CF is sending out, and how it's performing. F/R has a 30 (?)
    day trial, which might be long enough for you to work it out. Then again:
    it's not very expensive and is a bloody useful tool, so worth buying
    anyhow, I reckon.

    --
    Adam
    Adam Guest