Professional Web Applications Themes

Error message on Flash Player 9 - Macromedia Flash Player

Flash player works fine but i keep getting a message every 30 mins saying "Error Macromedia Flash Could Not Be Found". Why is that coming up when Flash Player is installed and working fine ? :confused;...

  1. #1

    Default Error message on Flash Player 9

    Flash player works fine but i keep getting a message every 30 mins saying
    "Error Macromedia Flash Could Not Be Found". Why is that coming up when Flash
    Player is installed and working fine ? :confused;

    Bladesman87 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error message on Flash Player 9

    Hi !
    I had to re-install the flash player on my Imac G5 ! But it still does'nt work
    and the message about "x-shockwave-flash" which module remains to be absent !
    :-( Nothing is explained on the Adobe site ... So ADOBE = A-Daube ??? (French
    joke ! ;-) )

    MicMac63 Guest

  3. #3

    Thats great mate but it dosnt really help me.

    This problem is annoying ive already tried re installing Flash Player.

    Dont know what more i can do.
    Bladesman87 Guest

  4. #4

    This is a known issue that I"m currently working on. The cause of the problems
    is that old screen savers (usually made with Flash MX or earlier) are looking
    for the file 'flash.ocx'. That used to be the name of the Flash Player ActiveX
    control.
    But the name changed with Flash Player 8, and that ocx is no longer there. So
    when these screen savers try to start they throw this error.

    (MicMac63's issue is -entirely- different, and he should open a support case..)

    We think that more of these errors are starting to pop up as a result of
    Microsoft reolling out this fix (" APSB06-03 Flash Player Update to Address
    Security Vulnerabilities" at
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/devnet/security/security_zone/apsb06-03.html[/url]).

    This is a secure version of Flash Player 6 which they pushed out to the world
    via autoupdate a few months ago. The microsoft update changes the name of
    flash.ocx , and locks the control for security reasons.

    ScreenTime (a tool commonly used to make Windows screensavers from Flash SWF
    files) has always had issues similar to this (doented here:
    [url]http://www.screentime.com/faqs/ScreenTime_F/technote202.html[/url])

    So any screen saver built with ScreenTime (and possibly other screen saver
    tools) using Flash MX can have this problem. They're coded to look for
    flash.ocx.

    So what can you do to fix it? Well, we're not entirely certain what the SAFE
    solution is yet.

    There is an existing workaround you can use, but it has potential problems:
    1. Copy: "...windows/system32/macromed/flash/flash9b.ocx"
    2. Paste a copy of flash9b.ocx then...
    3. RENAME: the COPIED FILE to "flash.ocx"
    (IMPORTANT: do not delete the original flash9b.ocx just make a copy of named
    "flash.ocx")

    BUT......

    First, if you copy/paste Flash9b.ocx and rename it, the Flash Player
    uninstaller will not remove the renamed 'flash.ocx'.

    Second, this leaves you with a possibly more serious second problem. You've
    now created an unlocked, insecure version of the Flash Player activeX control
    on your machine.

    We're working on finding out what the safest solution is. Obviously switching
    to a more recent screensaver is one simple way to resolve the problem. But
    we're going to see what else we can find out and we'll post that to technotes
    when we have more info.

    Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE Guest

  5. #5

    Cheers thanks for the reply i wondered why i hadnt seen my screensaver pop up in a while. hehe

    Ive switched the screensaver off now and i will do what you said.

    Thanks
    Bladesman87 Guest