Professional Web Applications Themes

error report redirection - SCO

In my printer interface script I have the following: until /usr/bin/netgearcheck $PRTHOST $PRTPORT do sleep 10 done If network traffic is really heavy, it occasionally encounters an error. The error is mailed to the user who submitted the print job. What can I do to this line to cause the lp system to ignore this problem and not send the user mail OR redirect the mail to another user. Any help appreciated. TIA Ron...

  1. #1

    Default error report redirection

    In my printer interface script I have the following:
    until /usr/bin/netgearcheck $PRTHOST $PRTPORT
    do
    sleep 10
    done

    If network traffic is really heavy, it occasionally encounters an error.
    The error is mailed to the user who submitted the print job.

    What can I do to this line to cause the lp system to ignore this problem and
    not send the user mail OR redirect the mail to another user.

    Any help appreciated.

    TIA
    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: error report redirection

    Tony Lawrence typed (on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 05:10:16PM +0000):
    | Ronald J Marchand <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    | >In my printer interface script I have the following:
    | >until /usr/bin/netgearcheck $PRTHOST $PRTPORT
    | >do
    | > sleep 10
    | >done
    |
    | >If network traffic is really heavy, it occasionally encounters an error.
    | >The error is mailed to the user who submitted the print job.
    |
    | >What can I do to this line to cause the lp system to ignore this problem and
    | >not send the user mail OR redirect the mail to another user.
    |
    | If your script always does an "exit 0" then the rest of lp is going
    | to assume it was successful..
    |
    | What's actually happening here? Is it sleeping so long that lp
    | assumes the script fails? Perhaps you can be more creative and
    | only check for a short period of time?
    |
    | But then again, why wouldn't you want to notify the user of an error?

    Starting in OSR 5.0.6, inserting CANCEL_MAIL=NO in /etc/default/lpd
    will stop messages about failed printing jobs from being mailed to the
    invoking user.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > Tony Lawrence typed (on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 05:10:16PM +0000):
    > | Ronald J Marchand <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    > | >In my printer interface script I have the following:
    > | >until /usr/bin/netgearcheck $PRTHOST $PRTPORT
    > | >do
    > | > sleep 10
    > | >done
    > |
    > | >If network traffic is really heavy, it occasionally encounters an
    error.
    > | >The error is mailed to the user who submitted the print job.
    > |
    > | >What can I do to this line to cause the lp system to ignore this
    problem and
    > | >not send the user mail OR redirect the mail to another user.
    > |
    > | If your script always does an "exit 0" then the rest of lp is going
    > | to assume it was successful..
    > |
    > | What's actually happening here? Is it sleeping so long that lp
    > | assumes the script fails? Perhaps you can be more creative and
    > | only check for a short period of time?
    > |
    > | But then again, why wouldn't you want to notify the user of an error?
    >
    > Starting in OSR 5.0.6, inserting CANCEL_MAIL=NO in /etc/default/lpd
    > will stop messages about failed printing jobs from being mailed to the
    > invoking user.
    >

    > --
    > JP
    Unfortunately this is pre 5.0.6. But the print job is not failing. The
    perl script (in netgearcheck) is encountering difficulty and that is what is
    being mailed.

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  4. #4

    Ronald J Marchand <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    >The routine checks the status of the print server every 10 seconds. If it
    >is ready, then the job prints else it continues to loop.
    >
    >Why?? you might ask. Because Netgear print servers are buggy.
    Umm, not in my experience. Are you using netcat?

    I have dozens and dozens of netgears in the field, all using netcat. The
    only time I have problems with these is with lpd or using their
    Windows software to go directly. But with netcat
    ( [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec7.html#getnetcat[/url] for those
    who don't know), no problems at all.

    Well, one Linux box the netgear keeps losing its ip address, but the
    customer won't let me find out why, so I can't say that's really
    a netgear problem.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  5. #5

    Jean-Pierre Radley <jprjpr.com> wrote:
    >Starting in OSR 5.0.6, inserting CANCEL_MAIL=NO in /etc/default/lpd
    >will stop messages about failed printing jobs from being mailed to the
    >invoking user.
    I knew about that, but does it also work for failed jobs as well
    as cancelled?

  6. #6

    <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote in message news:bf6qne$vl9$1pcls4.std.com...
    > Ronald J Marchand <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    >
    > >The routine checks the status of the print server every 10 seconds. If
    it
    > >is ready, then the job prints else it continues to loop.
    > >
    > >Why?? you might ask. Because Netgear print servers are buggy.
    >
    > Umm, not in my experience. Are you using netcat?
    Yes I am. And it works as expected. But Netgear print servers with a
    firmware later than 6017 have problems. We had a prior thread here on this
    subject. If the printer is not on line, the job goes into never-never land.
    If I only had one or two I would sledge hammer them into the trash can.

    > I have dozens and dozens of netgears in the field, all using netcat. The
    > only time I have problems with these is with lpd or using their
    > Windows software to go directly. But with netcat
    > ( [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec7.html#getnetcat[/url] for those
    > who don't know), no problems at all.
    >
    > Well, one Linux box the netgear keeps losing its ip address, but the
    > customer won't let me find out why, so I can't say that's really
    > a netgear problem.
    Check the firmware revision ....

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bf6qne$vl9$1pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >Ronald J Marchand <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    >
    >>The routine checks the status of the print server every 10 seconds. If it
    >>is ready, then the job prints else it continues to loop.
    >>
    >>Why?? you might ask. Because Netgear print servers are buggy.
    >
    >Umm, not in my experience. Are you using netcat?
    >I have dozens and dozens of netgears in the field, all using netcat. The
    >only time I have problems with these is with lpd or using their
    >Windows software to go directly. But with netcat
    >( [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec7.html#getnetcat[/url] for those
    >who don't know), no problems at all.
    The old Netgears with the 6017 firmware worked fine. Then they
    moved to 6026 ?? [from memory] and they stopped being 'fine.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest