Professional Web Applications Themes

Error: SQL Server does not exist or access denied - ASP Database

My client has a server running Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server 2000. The sole purpose of the server is to run a single web site. It was previously hosted with Verio and except for a problem backing up the SQL database, it ran just fine. Since it's been moved to the new web server we've had intermittant connection problems between the ASP code and the SQL server: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005' [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. /gov/vendor/index.asp, line 106 All you have to do is wait a few seconds, refresh ...

  1. #1

    Default Error: SQL Server does not exist or access denied

    My client has a server running Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server 2000.
    The sole purpose of the server is to run a single web site.

    It was previously hosted with Verio and except for a problem backing up
    the SQL database, it ran just fine.

    Since it's been moved to the new web server we've had intermittant
    connection problems between the ASP code and the SQL server:

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or
    access denied.
    /gov/vendor/index.asp, line 106

    All you have to do is wait a few seconds, refresh and everything is
    fine.

    What's strange is that we don't have this problem on our development
    server which is set up 99% the same as the client's server. However,
    their server is running dual 3 Ghz P4's with 4 gigs of RAM and my
    development server is a 633Mhz system with 512 megs of RAM.

    I looked up the error on ASPFAQ and came across:

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    which only pointed me to a knowledge base article:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328306[/url]

    Niether of which helps. My guess is that too many people could be
    connected to the web site and SQL counts each web connection as a
    seperate connection. Does that sound plausible?

    If so, how do I increase the number of simultaneous connections
    supported by SQL?

    The SQL server on this machine strictly supports the web site. No other
    applications or users need to connect to it other than the web server
    for this one web site.

    Thanks!
    Dave Navarro Guest

  2. #2

    Dave Navarro wrote:
    > My client has a server running Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server
    > 2000. The sole purpose of the server is to run a single web site.
    >
    > It was previously hosted with Verio and except for a problem backing
    > up the SQL database, it ran just fine.
    >
    > Since it's been moved to the new web server we've had intermittant
    > connection problems between the ASP code and the SQL server:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    > [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or
    > access denied.
    > /gov/vendor/index.asp, line 106
    >
    > All you have to do is wait a few seconds, refresh and everything is
    > fine.
    >
    > What's strange is that we don't have this problem on our development
    > server which is set up 99% the same as the client's server. However,
    > their server is running dual 3 Ghz P4's with 4 gigs of RAM and my
    > development server is a 633Mhz system with 512 megs of RAM.
    >
    > I looked up the error on ASPFAQ and came across:
    >
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]
    >
    > which only pointed me to a knowledge base article:
    >
    > [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328306[/url]
    >
    > Niether of which helps. My guess is that too many people could be
    > connected to the web site and SQL counts each web connection as a
    > seperate connection. Does that sound plausible?
    No, that would raise a different error message. This problem sounds
    network/hardware-related. Perhaps a bad NIC?

    You might want to try this question on a SQL Server newsgroup. The relevant
    ones seem to be .sqlserver.connect and .sqlserver.server. You will want to
    provide them with any relevant-looking entries from the SQL Server error
    logs.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    > Niether of which helps. My guess is that too many people could be
    > connected to the web site and SQL counts each web connection as a
    > seperate connection. Does that sound plausible?
    Why do you think SQL would be imposing a limitation on the number of people
    connected? You're not running on Windows XP (which has a 10-connection
    limitation), and you're not running MSDE (which has a governor that kicks in
    after 5 simultaneous user workloads).

    I think it is more likely that your network is not optimized and that
    traffic is causing problems that make one server think another is down. If
    the network is flooded with traffic, you're going to see this kind of
    problem. If you have too many loopbacks / lookups, you might see this
    problem as well. Are you accessing the server by servername? And is this
    going through WINS, local DNS, remote DNS, ...? Use the IP address, this
    will take one step out of the process. The web server should use the
    internal, local IP address, not go out through the Internet to connect back
    to a SQL Server that is right on your own network.

    Also, what does SELECT VERSION tell you? Hopefully your build is 8.00.760
    or greater, otherwise you might be a victim of SQL slammer.
    > The SQL server on this machine strictly supports the web site. No other
    > applications or users need to connect to it other than the web server
    > for this one web site.
    Again, this is largely irrelevant... *ANY* network traffic can be causing
    slowdowns and timeouts. They don't have to be connecting to the SQL Server,
    they just have to be sharing the same bandwidth. I might even go so far as
    to run network monitor and see if someone is having a field day with MP3s...

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    In article <eGJaReVIEHA.580TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, reb01501
    NOyahoo.SPAMcom says...
    > No, that would raise a different error message. This problem sounds
    > network/hardware-related. Perhaps a bad NIC?
    Even though both IIS and SQL are running on the same box?

    I'm accessing the server using LOCALHOST as suggested by ASPFAQ.

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro Guest

  5. #5

    In article <#2KpgCXIEHA.3144TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    [email]aaronTRASHaspfaq.com[/email] says...
    > I think it is more likely that your network is not optimized and that
    > traffic is causing problems that make one server think another is down. If
    > the network is flooded with traffic, you're going to see this kind of
    > problem. If you have too many loopbacks / lookups, you might see this
    > problem as well. Are you accessing the server by servername? And is this
    > going through WINS, local DNS, remote DNS, ...? Use the IP address, this
    > will take one step out of the process. The web server should use the
    > internal, local IP address, not go out through the Internet to connect back
    > to a SQL Server that is right on your own network.
    Both SQL and IIS are installed on the same box. And I am accessing SQL
    in my server string as LOCALHOST

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro Guest

  6. #6

    Dave Navarro wrote:
    > In article <eGJaReVIEHA.580TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, reb01501
    > NOyahoo.SPAMcom says...
    >> No, that would raise a different error message. This problem sounds
    >> network/hardware-related. Perhaps a bad NIC?
    >
    > Even though both IIS and SQL are running on the same box?

    Yes. The network is still involved, even if a loopback adapter is being
    used.
    > I'm accessing the server using LOCALHOST as suggested by ASPFAQ.
    Try using the actual server name. Are you using ODBC or SQLOLEDB?

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    In article <#2KpgCXIEHA.3144TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    [email]aaronTRASHaspfaq.com[/email] says...
    > Again, this is largely irrelevant... *ANY* network traffic can be causing
    > slowdowns and timeouts. They don't have to be connecting to the SQL Server,
    > they just have to be sharing the same bandwidth. I might even go so far as
    > to run network monitor and see if someone is having a field day with MP3s...
    The server itself is isolated from the local network. Only the network
    administrator can access it via the local network.

    The only thing running on the server are SQL and IIS. And there is only
    one web site running. No MP3s or other files of any kind.

    There are no trojans or viruses on the server and everything is up-to-
    date.
    Dave Navarro Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:16:18 -0400, Dave Navarro <davedave.dave>
    wrote:
    >In article <#2KpgCXIEHA.3144TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    >aaronTRASHaspfaq.com says...
    >> I think it is more likely that your network is not optimized and that
    >> traffic is causing problems that make one server think another is down. If
    >> the network is flooded with traffic, you're going to see this kind of
    >> problem. If you have too many loopbacks / lookups, you might see this
    >> problem as well. Are you accessing the server by servername? And is this
    >> going through WINS, local DNS, remote DNS, ...? Use the IP address, this
    >> will take one step out of the process. The web server should use the
    >> internal, local IP address, not go out through the Internet to connect back
    >> to a SQL Server that is right on your own network.
    >
    >Both SQL and IIS are installed on the same box. And I am accessing SQL
    >in my server string as LOCALHOST
    Have you tried the server name or IP address? Have you tried pinging
    localhost to make sure it resolves the 127.0.0.1 address and connects
    (from the server)? Is there a possibility you have a hardware issue
    or routing issue? And what has changed from when it worked as
    expected?

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran Guest

  9. #9

    > Both SQL and IIS are installed on the same box. And I am accessing SQL
    > in my server string as LOCALHOST
    Use 127.0.0.1. And are you connecting as sa, a lesser SQL user, or through
    windows authentication?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  10. #10

    > I'm accessing the server using LOCALHOST as suggested by ASPFAQ.

    Actually, [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url] has this:

    <snip>
    If you are running SQL Server or MSDE on the same machine as your ASP pages,
    you are probably tempted to use the hostname "localhost." This doesn't
    always work, due to different configuration issues, so try (local),
    127.0.0.1, the actual host name, or simply a period (".").
    </snip>

    And in the 80004005 article to which I think you're referring (it is a
    rather large site, so saying the site suggested it is rather vague), it
    suggested using 127.0.0.1 or LOCALHOST if the *network name* is failing.
    Did you try 127.0.0.1, the local network name, (local), ., the local IP
    address, ...?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    How many SQLServer CALs do you have?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    "Dave Navarro" <davedave.dave> wrote in message
    > In article <#2KpgCXIEHA.3144TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    > [email]aaronTRASHaspfaq.com[/email] says...
    > > I think it is more likely that your network is not optimized and that
    > > traffic is causing problems that make one server think another is down.
    If
    > > the network is flooded with traffic, you're going to see this kind of
    > > problem. If you have too many loopbacks / lookups, you might see this
    > > problem as well. Are you accessing the server by servername? And is
    this
    > > going through WINS, local DNS, remote DNS, ...? Use the IP address,
    this
    > > will take one step out of the process. The web server should use the
    > > internal, local IP address, not go out through the Internet to connect
    back
    > > to a SQL Server that is right on your own network.
    >
    > Both SQL and IIS are installed on the same box. And I am accessing SQL
    > in my server string as LOCALHOST
    >
    > --Dave

    Mark Schupp Guest

  12. #12

    If I guess where you're coming from, SQL Server doesn't actively enforce CAL
    limitations... e.g. if you are licensed for 5 users and 6 connect, it won't
    deny the 6th user...

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

  13. #13

    Plus, there would be a different error message ...

    There is a setting in Licensing Services that will limit the number of
    connections. But the error message generated leaves no doubt about the
    reason for the connection failure.

    Bob Barrows

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] wrote:
    > If I guess where you're coming from, SQL Server doesn't actively
    > enforce CAL limitations... e.g. if you are licensed for 5 users and 6
    > connect, it won't deny the 6th user...
    >

    > "Mark Schupp" <mschuppielearning.com> wrote in message
    >> How many SQLServer CALs do you have?
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows Guest

  14. #14

    In article <O6#M17ZIEHA.2972TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    [email]aaronTRASHaspfaq.com[/email] says...
    > > I'm accessing the server using LOCALHOST as suggested by ASPFAQ.
    >
    > Actually, [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url] has this:
    >
    > <snip>
    > If you are running SQL Server or MSDE on the same machine as your ASP pages,
    > you are probably tempted to use the hostname "localhost." This doesn't
    > always work, due to different configuration issues, so try (local),
    > 127.0.0.1, the actual host name, or simply a period (".").
    > </snip>
    >
    > And in the 80004005 article to which I think you're referring (it is a
    > rather large site, so saying the site suggested it is rather vague), it
    > suggested using 127.0.0.1 or LOCALHOST if the *network name* is failing.
    > Did you try 127.0.0.1, the local network name, (local), ., the local IP
    > address, ...?
    Using the 127.0.0.1 works. The connection problems haven't appeared in
    the past several hours.

    Many, many thanks!

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro Guest

  15. #15

    In article <#86cD3ZIEHA.2260TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    [email]aaronTRASHaspfaq.com[/email] says...
    > > Both SQL and IIS are installed on the same box. And I am accessing SQL
    > > in my server string as LOCALHOST
    >
    > Use 127.0.0.1. And are you connecting as sa, a lesser SQL user, or through
    > windows authentication?
    127.0.0.1 works. And I'm connecting as a lesser SQL user. The SA
    account was disabled.

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro Guest