: Anyway, you should take this moaning somewhere relevant, because an ASP : newsgroup devoted to database questions clearly isn't an appropriate venue : for generic attacks on commercial enterprises... We agree it is off topic so I will not respond to your remarks however, do make sure you always stay on topic. You wouldn't want to be seen as hypocritical. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <1bc301c3e045$3eb60f70$a001280a@phx.gbl> <#eBHIYE4DHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl> <164f01c3e046$ce450c30$a301280a@phx.gbl> <#$6BJjE4DHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> <16f201c3e04b$5bb4a400$a101280a@phx.gbl> <1f0f01c3e04e$2cce89f0$a401280a@phx.gbl> <#seOwNF4DHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl> <20e401c3e06c$a9cab5f0$a501280a@phx.gbl> <227601c3e092$ecf45b30$a501280a@phx.gbl> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Roland Hall [ip] => nobody@nowhere [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 17 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Error Trying to connect - ASP Database

Error Trying to connect - ASP Database

I am receiving this error when I try to connect to my sql server. It worked yesterday without any problems but today i get this error. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005' [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (PreLoginHandshake()).] General network error. I have router that lets in/out traffic to the sql server machine using the default ports. It also is set up in the router to redirect sql traffic to that computer. Any and all suggestions would help....

  1. #1

    Default Error Trying to connect

    I am receiving this error when I try to connect to my sql
    server. It worked yesterday without any problems but
    today i get this error.

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (PreLoginHandshake()).] General
    network error.

    I have router that lets in/out traffic to the sql server
    machine using the default ports.

    It also is set up in the router to redirect sql traffic to
    that computer.

    Any and all suggestions would help.

    James Jones Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error Trying to connect

    Load this page and look for "General network."

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    Ray at work

    "James Jones" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am receiving this error when I try to connect to my sql
    > server. It worked yesterday without any problems but
    > today i get this error.
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    > [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (PreLoginHandshake()).] General
    > network error.
    >
    > I have router that lets in/out traffic to the sql server
    > machine using the default ports.
    >
    > It also is set up in the router to redirect sql traffic to
    > that computer.
    >
    > Any and all suggestions would help.

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    I was able to look at that page, it told me it was a
    generally a router issue. I can ping inside the network
    but not outside. Any other suggestions.

    JJ Guest

  4. #4

    Can your webserver ping the SQL Server? And can it do so by name? (Can it
    resolve the host name.) Are you using the default port for SQL? (1433 I
    think.) Does the firewall allow two-way traffic through that port?

    Ray at work

    "JJ" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was able to look at that page, it told me it was a
    > generally a router issue. I can ping inside the network
    > but not outside. Any other suggestions.

    Ray at Guest

  5. #5

    >Can your webserver ping the SQL Server? And can it do so
    by name? (Can it resolve the host name.) Are you using
    the default port for SQL? (1433 I think.) Does the
    firewall allow two-way traffic through that port?

    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. I cannot ping the outside IP from
    a computer outside the network. I cannot find anything
    that has changed from yesterday. The IP address is still
    the same and the settings are unchanged. Any other
    suggestions.

    This SUX

    >Ray at work
    >
    >"JJ" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I was able to look at that page, it told me it was a
    >> generally a router issue. I can ping inside the network
    >> but not outside. Any other suggestions.

    JJ Guest

  6. #6

    I just noticed that from where I am, I cannot ping
    anything. Maybe that is the problem? You think why I get
    the error?

    JJ

    JJ Guest

  7. #7

    What computer is attempting to connect to the SQL Server? Your computer? A
    web server? They're one in the same? The SQL Server and the Web server are
    the same? If you're computer's in the mix and can't resolve host names or
    ping or anything, then, yeah, that would be an issue.

    > I just noticed that from where I am, I cannot ping
    > anything. Maybe that is the problem? You think why I get
    > the error?
    >
    > JJ

    Ray at Guest

  8. #8

    Sorry for such confusion. I have a home network with 3
    computers, the sql server (own box), a test webserver/work
    computer (not in use for current problem), and family
    computer (not in use for current problem).

    what happens is some calls a website that is hosted thru a
    hosting company ([url]www.mywebsite.com[/url]). then a request to my
    public IP using the default port comes into my home
    network (using a connection string with public IP address,
    default port, server name, username, and password). the
    request is re-routed to the proper machine (sql server).
    and ideally (like yesterday) the request is served and
    sent to the browser.

    >They're one in the same? The SQL Server and the Web
    >server are the same?
    No, the sql server is all by itself, nothing else is on
    it.

    JJ Guest

  9. #9

    So, if two of your three computers are not in use, and one of them is the
    webserver, on what server are you loading this page that gets this error?

    > Sorry for such confusion. I have a home network with 3
    > computers, the sql server (own box), a test webserver/work
    > computer (not in use for current problem), and family
    > computer (not in use for current problem).

    Ray at Guest

  10. #10

    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" wrote
    : So, if two of your three computers are not in use, and one of them is the
    : webserver, on what server are you loading this page that gets this error?

    If I may, it sounds like his webserver is hosted and it's communicates with
    his SQL box, behind his firewall, on his home network. If he has dynamic
    IP, it might have changed. If it's static, then obviously the issue is
    something else but if not, then he needs a dynamic DNS service so the web
    server can always find it, even when it changes.

    And, if that's not it, then I'm as confused as you are. (O:=

    --
    Roland

    This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    or fitness for a particular purpose.
    -Technet Knowledge Base-
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0[/url]
    -Technet Script Center-
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp[/url]
    -WSH 5.6 doentation download-
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en[/url]
    -MSDN Library-
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp[/url]

    Roland Hall Guest

  11. #11

    I think I figured out what happen. The webhosting
    company may have blocked the default port. Now I changed
    the port on the server and it works fine. Maybe after
    they see traffic coming in that port they may block it,
    but who know. THanks for listening and trying to help me
    troubleshoot. Everything was set up correctly, its just
    a webhosting issue from the webhoster.

    JJ Guest

  12. #12

    Sorry, not the webhosting company, the cable company
    providing my high speed internet.

    Thanks for your help.

    Guest

  13. #13

    <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    : Sorry, not the webhosting company, the cable company
    : providing my high speed internet.

    Yes, the cable company who puts advertising on paid television so you have
    to pay for the ads. Sounds like spam. Sounds like they want you to have
    that business account even though you're not getting any additional
    bandwidth with what you're doing.

  14. #14

    > Yes, the cable company who puts advertising on paid television so you have
    > to pay for the ads. Sounds like spam.
    I certainly don't want to sound like I advocate the way cable television
    works or that the prices are fair. But certainly an argument could be made
    that, because of the advertising revenue, cable television is much cheaper
    than it would be otherwise.
    > Sounds like they want you to have
    > that business account even though you're not getting any additional
    > bandwidth with what you're doing.
    Bandwidth isn't the benefit you would expect from business service. At the
    cable provider I use, the business account entitles you to a *free* modem
    instead of a rented / purchased one (with free upgrades / replacements as
    well), a fixed IP address, and no ports blocked. You still share the same
    network as the masses (so 8 pm is noticeably slower than 1 AM, and there are
    still the same frequency/duration of outages), but not the same
    restrictions.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  15. #15

    :
    : I certainly don't want to sound like I advocate the way cable television
    : works or that the prices are fair. But certainly an argument could be
    made
    : that, because of the advertising revenue, cable television is much cheaper
    : than it would be otherwise.

    I disagree with this. Let's look at some history. Cable said, "Cable TV is
    better than local television because of NO COMMERCIALS, movies 24 hours,
    more channels, one low monthly price..." Then cable said, "More for movie
    channels, pay-per view (which is redundant... ALL CABLE IS PAY PER VIEW),
    commercials keep the price down? They charge everyone for everything. If you
    actually think you cable modem is free, you're naive.

    You know why RR, personal, is $45/month? They compared it to the cost of an
    extra phone line and an ISP connection. They didn't price it because it was
    based upon a fair profit margin. They priced it based upon competition for
    an increase in profit. (reads as whatever we can get away with). Wal-Mart
    does the same thing until a company opens up a store in their area and then
    immediately prices drop. In fact they will lose money on a lot of items to
    run the other store out of business. Overall they can afford to do this
    because they have so many stores and they have buying power. Same story
    with cable. When direct TV hit hard, prices dropped, more deals were
    offered... Now HBO on demand is free, as a special, etc., etc.

    If you pay for someone to advertise to you, then that is EXACTLY what is
    happening with SPAM. You pay for your net account, and someone advertises
    to you, without your consent, that is SPAM. Show me how that is different.

    I used to work for cable in the early 80s. I know what the promises were.
    We promised them banking, shopping, etc. back then and when did fiber get
    installed? TVs now have parts built in so you do not need a set top box,
    unless you want digital and that will soon be obsolete. The problem with
    cable is you don't get all the channels they once offered, unless you pay
    more and the new gimmick, not so new anymore, multiple HBO channels,
    ShowTime, TMC, etc. And they absolutely refuse to cross play, most of the
    time, movies, to entice you to spend more money to get the extra channel.
    It doesn't cost more to provide a movie channel. They just charge more for
    it and label it a 'premium' channel because there is a demand. It has to do
    with greed, not cost.

    Why should it cost more if there is more demand? More demand means they're
    going to make that much more anyway. Basic economics was designed by a
    criminal mind, just like credit cards (charge everyone involved). What if
    the lottery did the same thing and lotto dealers had to pay for every
    transaction instead of making money?

    The weather has been brutal in the North this year. The price of heating
    oil has gone through the roof. Why? More demand. More demand = more greed.
    People are not going to buy less when they're freezing their butts off.
    They're just going to pay more.

    Why do you think Microsoft charges for a server license, client access
    license (per server/per seat), web license, terminal server client license,
    etc.? Revenue. You have a server license, with client OS licenses, client
    access licenses and you cannot connect via Terminal Services without a TSC
    license, except for administration. Why? Greed. So, is TS as popular as it
    could be? Nope. Why? Nobody wants to pay for it.

    When it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it must
    be a crow. (O:=

    : > Sounds like they want you to have
    : > that business account even though you're not getting any additional
    : > bandwidth with what you're doing.
    :
    : Bandwidth isn't the benefit you would expect from business service. At
    the
    : cable provider I use, the business account entitles you to a *free* modem
    : instead of a rented / purchased one (with free upgrades / replacements as
    : well), a fixed IP address, and no ports blocked. You still share the same
    : network as the masses (so 8 pm is noticeably slower than 1 AM, and there
    are
    : still the same frequency/duration of outages), but not the same
    : restrictions.

    I'm not renting a modem. It came with the deal. (see included) I get free
    upgrades, replacements because I don't own it, they do. Generally the only
    time I see an outage is when they decide they want to fix what's working.
    Only once in 4-5 years has it ever been because of some other reason.

    Roland Hall Guest

  16. #16

    > I disagree with this. Let's look at some history. Cable said, "Cable TV
    is
    > better than local television because of NO COMMERCIALS,
    I'm not sure what you're on about, but at no point in my cognisant lifetime
    has Cable TV been commercial free, or promised to be so. Well, aside from
    the past two season premieres of 24. Pay TV, which (if you're paying
    attention) obviously isn't meant to be taken in the literal sense that it's
    the only TV you pay for, is different, of course.
    > If you
    > actually think you cable modem is free, you're naive.
    What I mean is that it's part of the price. I already had a cable modem,
    but they gave me an additional one, even though they could have chintzed on
    it and let me use my own. They knew I had one, because I purchased it when
    I signed up for the residential account, which I was upgrading from.
    > They priced it based upon competition for
    > an increase in profit.
    Uh, don't most capitalist businesses operate this way? Dunkin Donuts,
    Amazon, Asics, Coca-Cola. Let's boycott them all; they're evil! The nerve,
    operating a company and trying to actually money while doing so... will
    wonders never cease!
    > does the same thing until a company opens up a store in their area and
    then
    > immediately prices drop.
    Pffft. That's ridiculous, got a cite? Wal-Mart's prices are almost
    unilaterally national. Their prices are already lower; they don't react on
    a local scale when other companies open a store where there's a Wal-Mart,
    and I certainly have never heard of a case where Wal-Mart was in a price war
    or price gouging with anyone - they never have to. In fact, the effect is
    quite the opposite; Wal-Mart moves into a town and the competition dwindles
    away. They have a pretty effective barrier to entry, but this is still not
    evil, unless you're the mom & pop shop that gets shut down. Having lower
    prices and economies of scale are better off in general for the economy of
    the town/city, and if you can't see that, it's because you're too
    pre-occupied with this hatred towards companies that are doing the things
    that allow them to exist... which, obviously, revolve around _making money_
    .... what a shocker we have there. Obviously everything that happens in the
    business world has an impact on something, and anything big in a town or
    even a nation is going to be positive for some and negative for others.
    Every decision we make has that same effect. Are we evil? Well, yes, but
    not solely because of that.
    > If you pay for someone to advertise to you, then that is EXACTLY what is
    > happening with SPAM. You pay for your net account, and someone advertises
    > to you, without your consent, that is SPAM. Show me how that is
    different.

    Cable is *OPTIONAL*... is anyone forcing you to buy cable? Of course not.
    If you don't like cable, guess what? Stop paying your bill. You won't even
    have to make a phone call to get your service discontinued, then you can
    stop complaining about this weird "I'm paying for commercials" nonsense. If
    you require e-mail for work, then SPAM is not optional.

    In other words. Vote with your wallet, instead of your mouth. You'll get
    much more accomplished, and have less to snivel about.

    Though I'm not sure why you felt compelled to make the comment you made in
    the first place. You jumped into this thread to attack "the cable
    company" - and you don't even know which one it was. Sounds like a pretty
    bad case of discrimination to me.
    > The weather has been brutal in the North this year. The price of heating
    > oil has gone through the roof. Why? More demand.
    There's more to it than that, for example the power outage in NY/NJ left
    refineries inoperable for dozens of hours. And anyone with basic
    understanding of price elasticity knows what happens to a necessity when
    supply dries up, and how much longer it takes for the effect to reverse
    itself. You seem to be making blanket statements based on little fact and
    mostly opinion, and it's not a very challenging discussion as a result.
    Sorry.
    > More demand = more greed.
    You are one cynical person. I hope like hell you work for a non-profit,
    because your tirade has described just about every company in America
    (either how they are, or how they'd love to be -- if they could). Welcome
    to capitalism 101.
    > I'm not renting a modem. It came with the deal.
    Yet you criticized me for calling it "free"... all I was implying was that I
    got it without paying anything extra, even though they didn't have to
    provide it, since I already had compatible equipment. I also got the cable
    to go from the modem to the outlet, but you'll probably argue that I'm
    paying out the nose unnecessarily for that equipment also.

    Anyway, you should take this moaning somewhere relevant, because an ASP
    newsgroup devoted to database questions clearly isn't an appropriate venue
    for generic attacks on commercial enterprises...

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest