Professional Web Applications Themes

Error: Unable to read footer file - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Anyone familiar with this error? (Unable to read footer file) The page looks/works fine on my local machine and even on the live server (when it was still in a development directory). I had someone move the newly developed site into the main root directory and now I get this error on the homepage (and none of the dropdowns work...). HELP! thanks guys, sisi here's the link: [url]http://www.jazzonthepark.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Error: Unable to read footer file

    sirinsamman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error: Unable to read footer file

    W2KPro/IE6 - I see no error and the dropdowns (pop-ups) work "fine,"
    considering. Your About Us dropdown has a different appearance than the
    others, however.

    You do know that this page will not be spidered since the links are all a
    part of the javascript, right? Anyhow, here's my standard rant about these
    menus -

    The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    HTML-based navigation links on them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    [url]http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "sirinsamman" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone familiar with this error? (Unable to read footer file)
    > The page looks/works fine on my local machine and even on the live server
    (when it was still in a development directory).
    > I had someone move the newly developed site into the main root directory
    and now I get this error on the homepage (and none of the dropdowns
    work...).

    > HELP!
    > thanks guys,
    > sisi
    > here's the link:
    > [url]http://www.jazzonthepark.com[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: DW DropDown Menus

    thanks for the extensive feedback Murray.
    didn't know about the spider/accessibility problem..
    I actually bought menumagic from projectseven a few months ago but found the DW menus easier to build..(eh..what I mean is less of a learning curve;)).
    Next site project I'll stick to the projectseven menus then. also, I'll add metatags to the site.

    since I'm using templates, I had to make all my menulinks absolute (otherwise they didn't work) ...where/which page do you see relative menu links?

    also, I don't see the 'about us' menu appearance difference you mentioned....am also on Win2K, IE6 .....
    am using Cascading Stylesheets....will test more on different browsers and platforms. thanks for the heads-up.

    last but not least, the error "unable to read footer file" fixed itself after I specified two JavaScript type attributes, which were missing. Why this would fix the problem, I do not know but it worked.
    The menus started working once I renamed the mm_menu.js file to mm_menubar.js .... and I REALLY don't know why that worked. I can't stand such random logic (or unlogic..)

    In any case,
    thank you very much for your feedback.
    MUCH APPRECIATED.
    (I would put a smiley here...but I think I'm not supposed to "LAUGH" ...is that what you mean in your signature?)

    sirin

    sirinsamman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    sirin:
    > (I would put a smiley here...but I think I'm not supposed to "LAUGH" ...is
    that what you mean in your signature?)

    No, that refers to the obscure spam trap I am using in my email address -
    HAHA should be removed! 8)
    > Next site project I'll stick to the projectseven menus then.
    They are so simple, and at 10% or better of the code weight and the ease of
    maintenance, they can't go wrong. And I am not necessarily referring to the
    MM1 or MM2 code from PVII, but rather the roll your own methods taught
    there.
    > also, I don't see the 'about us' menu appearance difference you mentioned
    The left border on that dropmenu is not shaded the same as the left border
    for the others, at least for me.
    > where/which page do you see relative menu links?
    These are all doent relative -

    mm_menu_0630145513_0.addMenuItem("facilities","loc ation='aboutus.htm'");
    mm_menu_0630145513_0.addMenuItem("staff","location ='staff.htm'");
    mm_menu_0630145513_0.addMenuItem("hostel tour","location='tour.htm'");
    mm_menu_0630145513_0.addMenuItem("jobs","location= 'workforus.htm'");

    and more. If you would save this page in another folder, all those links
    would break. However, I now see that I might have to change my rant a bit
    and re-investigate the linking because I think that this line -

    window.mm_menu_0630155300_0 = new Menu("root",

    may be directing the dynamic write to use root relative links. Let's just
    put that one on hold.
    > last but not least, the error "unable to read footer file" fixed itself
    after I specified two JavaScript type attributes, which were missing.

    I dunno, but if you had no type attributes, and no language attributes
    there, then the browser would throw an error.
    > The menus started working once I renamed the mm_menu.js file to
    mm_menubar.js

    I'm not sure why this worked either, but it could simply be that you had not
    uploaded mm_menu.js and you did upload the latter file. My experience with
    things that respond randomly to changes like this has taught me that I have
    not changed the proper variable to fix the problem.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > thanks for the extensive feedback Murray.
    > didn't know about the spider/accessibility problem..
    > I actually bought menumagic from projectseven a few months ago but found
    the DW menus easier to build..(eh..what I mean is less of a learning
    curve;)).
    > Next site project I'll stick to the projectseven menus then. also, I'll
    add metatags to the site.

    > since I'm using templates, I had to make all my menulinks absolute
    (otherwise they didn't work) ...where/which page do you see relative menu
    links?

    > also, I don't see the 'about us' menu appearance difference you
    mentioned....am also on Win2K, IE6 .....
    > am using Cascading Stylesheets....will test more on different browsers and
    platforms. thanks for the heads-up.

    > last but not least, the error "unable to read footer file" fixed itself
    after I specified two JavaScript type attributes, which were missing. Why
    this would fix the problem, I do not know but it worked.
    > The menus started working once I renamed the mm_menu.js file to
    mm_menubar.js .... and I REALLY don't know why that worked. I can't stand
    such random logic (or unlogic..)

    > In any case,
    > thank you very much for your feedback.
    > MUCH APPRECIATED.
    > (I would put a smiley here...but I think I'm not supposed to "LAUGH" ...is
    that what you mean in your signature?)

    > sirin

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    you're right (note how I don't even say Murray anymore....it seems to be just us here;) the menu links are all relative and now I remember why I had to do this. Since I am using DW Templates they are automatically saved in a dynamically created Templates folder within the root directory.
    Since that jazzonthepark site, however, had nothing to do with the wwwroot it was sitting in I had to make the menulinks relative so they would only call files within the main-directory they are sitting in and don't try to come out of the folder looking for files.

    did I explain this in any way understandably (understandably? is that even a word?)

    sirin (about to switch over to Flash)

    sirinsamman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    sirin:

    Hehehe.

    I don't get it! 8)
    > links are all relative
    You mean ROOT relative, right?
    > Since that jazzonthepark site, however, had nothing to do with the wwwroot
    it was sitting in I had to make the menulinks relative so they would only
    call files within the main-directory they are sitting in and don't try to
    come out of the folder looking for files.

    Huh? It wasn't in a defined site?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    yeah... originally I set the site up to test on one of my servers, that's why it sits in a different root directory. at the end, however, I had to upload (ftp) to the hosting server they use and that's when things kinda crapped out.

    oh well.
    the joys of this job.
    ;)
    sirin
    PS: THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND FOR CONTINUING TO OVERYZE WITH ME (WHICH i LOVE TO DO) ;)

    sirinsamman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    sirin:

    You're welcome! So - what is the status now - are things still broken?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > yeah... originally I set the site up to test on one of my servers, that's
    why it sits in a different root directory. at the end, however, I had to
    upload (ftp) to the hosting server they use and that's when things kinda
    crapped out.

    > oh well.
    > the joys of this job.
    > ;)
    > sirin
    > PS: THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND FOR CONTINUING TO OVERYZE WITH ME
    (WHICH i LOVE TO DO) ;)

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    Default final update

    everything seems to be working now. thanks for asking.
    there is one broken link (I just found)...but that's due to stupidity on my side not scripting issues.

    now I just gotta be good and add those metatags....(onto my to-do-list it goes)

    looking forward to get feedback from you when I return to this forum with new issues of new projects to come :)

    thanks for all your help murrayyyy :D
    sirin

    sirinsamman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: final update

    sirins:

    Why bother with the metatags, really? They are so meaningless anymore.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > everything seems to be working now. thanks for asking.
    > there is one broken link (I just found)...but that's due to stupidity on
    my side not scripting issues.

    > now I just gotta be good and add those metatags....(onto my to-do-list it
    goes)

    > looking forward to get feedback from you when I return to this forum with
    new issues of new projects to come :)

    > thanks for all your help murrayyyy :D
    > sirin

    Murray *TMM* Guest