Professional Web Applications Themes

Error when starting Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When i start up illustrator i get the following error: The instruction at "0x0034197d" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read" Click on OK to terminate the program. Ive tried reinstalling and that doesnt work. Anyone know what the problem may be?...

  1. #1

    Default Error when starting Illustrator

    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Error when starting Illustrator

    Matt,

    The first thing to do if Illustrator is 'playing up' is to delete the
    aiprefs file as per the Forum FAQs FAQ#2 (That file is NOT replaced by
    an unisnstall/reinstall)
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    still doesnt work
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    What version of Illustrator are you using?

    What version of Windows?

    Is your video driver up to date?

    Can you reproduce it on any other PC (using another license or trial version)?
    janericster@hotmail.com Guest

  5. #5

    Im using Illustrator CS2,
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    My video cards are up to date.

    It works fine on my dads pc.
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Matt,

    Try creating a new user profile with Admin priviledges, log in as that
    user and tell us if Illustrator then runs.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Nope, Still doesnt work.

    I get the same error.
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Try in Doents and Settings - x - Aplication Data - Adobe - Adobe Illustrator CS Settings, delete all Ai pref in CS2.
    Fernando_Berga@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Matt,

    Creating a new profile elliminated the chance any user-settings or prefs
    file problems being the cause.

    There is either a driver conflicting with Illustrator or an O/S problem.
    Do you have any GUI enhancements running such as Windows Blinds?

    Try reducing the running tasks to a minimum - background apps,
    anti-virus etc. Once you can get Illustrator to run you can start adding
    them back to find out where the conflict is.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I wideled down the process to only the absolutly necassary one and still no dice.

    Here is a screenshot of the process that were running when i got it down.
    <http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4992/illustratorprocess4tb.jpg>

    I really appreciate all the help.

    Thanks
    Matt
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Hi Matt,

    The only thing I can see there that won't be common to most systems is
    AdskScSrv.exe which is a process associated with a licensing service
    application from Autodesk.

    Running out of ideas, here, I'm afraid. It might be time to give Adobe
    Customer Support a call.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    It could be a hardware error.
    Try running some diagnostics for memory, cpu and motherboard.
    I'm using HP computer and they have good diagnostics.

    Dusko Savatovic

    <com> wrote in message

    Dusko_Savatovic@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I built my pc myself so...diagonstics are sorta hard to come by.

    Closing AdskScSrv.exe still give me the error.
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Matt,

    Someone over in the Photoshop_Win forum is suffering the same error in
    both Illustrator and InDesign. Chris Cox (one of the Photoshop
    engineers) has suggested it might well be due to a bad O/S install and
    has recommended a format and re-install of the O/S
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    that s...not sure i want to do that.

    But i am suffering in the other programs aswell, i just realized.
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Matt,
    I too am having this very same problem and have tried everything. I even went to talk to the folks who built my computer. They suggested trying to do a Safe Mode install. I spent (wasted) all day yesterday trying to install my new CS2 Standard Suite upgrade from Photoshop CS, but nothing worked. My computer is only 2 months old and I've not had any problems with it. I keep it clean and up to date, so I'm really not happy. This same error happens when I try to open InDesign (CS2) too, but when I try to open Photoshop (CS2), it just hangs after the splash screen (when checking Task Manager, it shows it "running" not "not responding). I am so upset. I have never bought any of Adobe's "suites" before and now I think I know why. It just seems that someone should know how to fix this because I've read lots and lots of problems with this very thing dating back to August. Most of seem to be running WinXP Pro, one of the most popular OSs. Ho hum. Truly, I will let you know (and let Adobe know too) if I can determine what the problem is. It's AWFUL!
    Bobbi Guest

  17. #17

    >>..not sure i want to do that<<

    I don't think it's something that anyone looks forward to...but, if it
    means half-a-day out of your life to get everything back to how it was,
    and gets everything not only running, but running better than before
    (which is often the case), and takes away ongoing frustrations, then I
    would say it was worth while.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Well, I have uninstalled (and cleaned up files/diretories) and installed my CS Standard Suite upgrade (from Photoshop CS) this entire weekend and it still doesn't work. I am on Win XP Pro (a new machines, 2 months old). After installing, Photoshop hangs, Illustrator gives me an error ("The instruction at "0x0034197d" referenced memore at "0x000000000". The memory could not be read.", and InDesign just returns an error box (the Microsoft error "InDesign.exe has encountered a problem nad needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience").

    I uninstalled my old versions (and cleaned up files/dirs) of Photoshop CS, Illustrator 10, InDesign CS, even Acrobat Reader, and Type Manager. I've tried installing in Safe Mode (it gives me an error saying that I don't meet the system requirements and when I hit exit, it exits the installer) - ah, but I do meet the requirements. I've tried installing in Simple Mode, it installs fine, but I get the same errors as above when I installed it correctly. I have defragged my drive. Here are my specs:
    Pentium 4, 3 Ghz
    Windows XP Pro (sp2)
    Radeon x800 video card
    2 Gb memory

    I don't know what to do. I am getting way behind on my work while trying to resolve this. I have also read that I am not alone with this problem. I even disconnected my dual monitor set up so I was using my CRT set to 1024x768 (disconnected my LaCie 321 LCD which is 1600x1200). Still not working. Here is an interesting error I saw in a file named "AdobeerrorSuiteInstaller2.0.txt":
    10/15/05 21:10:15 Init Program
    10/15/05 21:10:15 The current commandline is
    10/15/05 21:10:15 Now parsing commandline...
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement1MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement1Value2
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement2MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement2Value1
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement3MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement3Value2
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement4MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:10:17 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement4Value4
    10/15/05 21:10:17 Failure to pass requirements check: $$$/ACS/ReqCheckFailureScreen=The Adobe Creative Suite 2 needs your monitor to support a\nresolution of at least 1024x768 with 16-bit color in order to run\nproperly. Please connect a compatible display device to your computer\nand then restart the installer.\n\nThe minimum system requirements for the Adobe Creative Suite are:\n\t- Windows 2000,XP\n\t- Pentium III Processor or better\n\t- 3 GB of hard disk space\n\t- 384 MB of RAM\n\t- 1024x768, 16-bit color monitor
    10/15/05 21:57:31 Init Program
    10/15/05 21:57:31 The current commandline is
    10/15/05 21:57:31 Now parsing commandline...
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement1MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement1Value2
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement2MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement2Value1
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement3MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement3Value2
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement4MsgSuccess
    10/15/05 21:57:33 GetIniFileEntry() failed to get key: Requirement4Value4
    10/15/05 21:57:33 Failure to pass requirements check: $$$/ACS/ReqCheckFailureScreen=The Adobe Creative Suite 2 needs your monitor to support a\nresolution of at least 1024x768 with 16-bit color in order to run\nproperly. Please connect a compatible display device to your computer\nand then restart the installer.\n\nThe minimum system requirements for the Adobe Creative Suite are:\n\t- Windows 2000,XP\n\t- Pentium III Processor or better\n\t- 3 GB of hard disk space\n\t- 384 MB of RAM\n\t- 1024x768, 16-bit color monitor

    I don't know if this is significant, but this appears to be something that occured the very first time I tried to install.

    I SO need some help and advice. My machine works fine, is virus free, has plenty of space and memory. I have never encountered anything like this from any Adobe products in the past, nor Macromedia (which I have Studio MX2004 on my machine.

    I am without words. I am also copying this and plan to copy/add this to all forums I can find; maybe someone can help me. I am so disappointed in Adobe for this. I've run out of time and have to reload my old versions just so I can work. I am a full-time independent graphic/web designer and do not have the help of an IT department.
    Bobbi Guest

  19. #19

    I have news though for others and Adobe regarding this very frustrating issue. After very methodically trying various things, I have determined that the problem appears to be that the new CS2 doesn't play well with older fonts. I don't know why, but by process of elimination. I finally removed all but the default fonts in the /psfonts directory for Win XP, and was able to open Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign successfully - I didn't even reinstall it (and had been getting all those very vague errors prior to doing this). Adobe needs to post this to their FAQ; yes, I know they list a lot of things to try, but I truly believe that this is the problem and Adobe needs to address it. I have been working on this for days, not giving up.

    So, to anyone who is having the problems listed in my original post, before you tear your hair out and such, first remove all but the default fonts from your /psfonts directory - you don't even need to uninstall. If you installed the CS2 product and Photoshop hangs, Illustrator gives the error: "The instruction at "0x0034197d" referenced memore at "0x000000000". The memory could not be read.", and InDesign, well, it just bombs out with the Microsoft error box: InDesign.exe has encountered a problem nad needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience", don't remove or reinstall; first remove all but the default fonts.
    Bobbi Guest

  20. #20

    Thank you so much!!!

    Everything now works for me after i got rid of those.

    YAY.

    Thanks
    Matt
    Matt_Witmer@adobeforums.com Guest