Professional Web Applications Themes

Establishing connection - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Trying to establish connection for the first time with Contribute. I get all the way through to the remote info section and it runs all the tests and permissions and then I get the error - "contribute can not verify your connection information" Then gives my root folder and tells me to contact my web administrator. All the permission on the server are wide open. Can anyone make any suggestions. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Establishing connection

    Trying to establish connection for the first time with Contribute. I get all
    the way through to the remote info section and it runs all the tests and
    permissions and then I get the error - "contribute can not verify your
    connection information" Then gives my root folder and tells me to contact my
    web administrator. All the permission on the server are wide open. Can anyone
    make any suggestions.
    Thanks

    J. Cliff Canipe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Establishing connection

    J.

    One of the first things I would try is to use the FTP Server Checker and see
    it it shows any errors.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_19012[/url]

    Might also try logging in with a third party FTP client like CuteFTP, WSFTP or
    even the command prompt with in Windows or Terminal on Mac.

    Doing all of this may show an error that may lead to a better understanding of
    the issue.

    jnosal3 Guest

  3. #3

    Can you look at a later posting on this same problem. I can easily connect with
    the browser and also with a FTP program (Transit) without any problem. All the
    files are there. Most of the time when I recheck the "websit connections" in
    Contribute the icon of the Website name has a red line through it. I had
    connected two minutes ago, was able to edit and publish a page, and quit
    Contribute. Now I have tried to restart Contribute and go back on, it fails,
    can't connect. It gives the message "waiting for the server". Sometimes if I
    hit the stop button, it mucks around and tells me to contact the administrator,
    but if I keep hitting the stop button it sometimes seems to come right. This
    would be the hardest application I have ever had to deal with.stop button it
    somehow seems to connect.

    kiwigray Guest

  4. #4

    Help---I haven't been able to access my site for three weeks and have been
    pouring over all the forums...I am having the problem described above and did
    run the ftpfile checker. No issues reported.

    This non-connection issued came up only recently after months of no problems.
    I am running XP SP2, Trend Penicillin, and I am getting real ticked at this
    problem. My admin gave me another connection key (would not open because of the
    server connection problem), I rolled back XP to an earlier date when I knew
    Contribute did work (didn't fix anything), removed the coonnection key and
    tried the import...don't want to do any reinstalls because everything was
    working just fine.
    Also could not install the #$% 3.1 update even when I tried to use another
    extraction program...error message states the network resource you are trying
    to access does not exists.....look for contribute3.msi file and I can't find
    where to locate that file folder....I know its a microsoft install folder but
    --- where?? :disgust;:o:evil;:frown;

    10inky Guest

  5. #5

    I need to add that I have already successfully pinged the server from my
    computer, used the ftp checker to access the server, and changed the options
    tab to passive mode.
    The problem remains....just kills time trying to access the server then times
    out and cancels the operation. Over and over again.

    Here's the results of the ftp check....
    It looks fine to me but I am not a techie.
    Can anyone shed some light on this issue.
    Getting pretty PO'ed. Love how you only get two incidents and 3 month
    support----- didn't need any help when things were just fine in the beginning
    but now y.

    NOTE: Microsoft FTP Service has been detected.
    For more information on FTP server compatibility issues, please see:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/contribute/ts/doents/ftp_info.htm[/url]

    Login: SUCCESS!

    Directory Listing Test: SUCCESS!

    Make Directory Test: SUCCESS!

    Change Directory Test: SUCCESS!

    Upload a File Test: SUCCESS!

    Fallback Test for Optimization: SUCCESS!

    Server State Test: SUCCESS!

    File/Directory NameExists Test: SUCCESS!

    File/Directory NOT Exists Test: SUCCESS!

    TimeStamp Test: SUCCESS!

    Rename Test: SUCCESS!

    Move File To Sub Dir Test: SUCCESS!

    Move File To Parent Dir Test: SUCCESS!

    Change Permission test: The ChMod test did not run because ChMod is not
    implemented
    on this FTP server.

    -------------------------------- FTP log from the last operation
    -------------------------------
    > CWD /flexsol/mm_diagnose
    < 250 CWD command successful.
    > SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.mm
    < 500 'SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.mm': command not understood

    ------------------------

    Cleaning Test File: SUCCESS!

    Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!

    Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!

    selected.

    10inky Guest

  6. #6

    All,

    Here are a couple of things that I think that may be happening.

    1) privledges might have changed for the _mm directory on the server. I show
    this as the rights to my _mm folder at the root of my site. drwxr-xr-x

    2) the cthub... file might have gotten messed up. Try renaming it and then see
    what happens. Once again, this would be found in the _mm directory at the root
    of your site.

    I too saw many of these issue when I was still working at Macromedia but never
    saw a good solution. Now that I am free lancing I might be able to spend some
    extra time looking into this so if one of you would like to work directly with
    me I would be willing to see what we could come up with together. Just send me
    an e-mail and we can get together and work on this.

    I do know that I have been running contribute on my personal site and have not
    seen this problem during the year plus that i have been using it there. So I am
    leaning toward a server setting that is causing the problem.

    jnosal3 Guest

  7. #7

    Brilliant and thanks. I am away from home for a few days over Christmas, so
    when I get back I will try what you have suggested and get back to you. I would
    be very happy to work with you try and resolve the problem, both for me and for
    everyone else who has had the problem. Have a happy Christmas and thanks agin.

    kiwigray Guest

  8. #8

    Although Contribute 3 worked fine for months I just started having the same
    issues just today:

    ======================== Test Results ==========================

    NOTE: Microsoft FTP Service has been detected. For more information on FTP
    server compatibility issues, please see
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/contribute/ts/doents/ftp_info.htm[/url]
    Login: SUCCESS!
    Changing Directory To: /NoahsBark/ SUCCESS!
    Directory Listing Test: SUCCESS!
    Make Directory Test: SUCCESS!
    Change Directory Test: SUCCESS!
    Upload a File Test: SUCCESS!
    Fallback Test for Optimization: SUCCESS!
    Server State Test: SUCCESS!
    File/Directory NameExists Test: SUCCESS!
    File/Directory NOT Exists Test: SUCCESS!
    Rename Test: SUCCESS!
    Move File To Sub Dir Test: SUCCESS!
    Move File To Parent Dir Test: SUCCESS!
    Change Permission test: The ChMod test did not run because ChMod is not
    implemente non this FTP server.
    ----------------------- FTP log from the last operation ----------------------
    > CWD /NoahsBark/mm_diagnose_32tl8
    < 250 CWD command successful.
    > SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.htm
    < 500 'SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.htm': command not understood
    Cleaning Test File: SUCCESS!
    Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!
    Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!
    selected.

    I have made NO changes to my server but I think it might be related with the
    latest windows update on XP machines. I tested Contribute on 3 XP machines. 2
    of the 3 would display the web page in Contribute but would not connect. The
    third machine connected and made edits but then started getting quirky, so I
    rebooted. During the reboot, I noticed that Windows applied the latest
    outstanding update before shut down. When booting back up, I started getting
    the same No Connection issues that I experienced with the other machines.

    When logging on via CuteFTP, it accepts my password but gets an error opening
    data socket:
    500 'ORT 72,112,180,78,19,137'; command not understood

    I hope someone has some idea on this one. I have used Contribute 1,2, and now
    3. All three have been an extremely disappointing experiences - to the degree
    that ALL my customers have quit using Contribute and prefer to send me web page
    updates.

    See4th Guest

  9. #9

    HI,
    Can you check if 'URL of the website' you are trying to connect and the
    folder you have chosen are correct.
    Also If you provide the below information we can look into the problem
    1. Version of CT used
    2. Platform
    3. Type of connection
    4. Connection details

    Thanks,
    Shubha

    shubha turuvekere Guest

  11. #11

    Shubha,

    Thank you for your reply. See my replies to your q's below:

    Can you check if 'URL of the website' you are trying to connect and the folder
    you have chosen are correct.
    These are connections that have been working in Contribute for the last 4
    months and just stopped working. I can connect & send up/down with DW with no
    problem.

    1. Version of CT used 3.11
    2. Platform Win XP Pro on one PC and XP Home on the anothers
    3. Type of connection Cable (over 1000kbps)
    4. Connection details Server is Win 2003 Server using IIS FTP Service

    See4th Guest

  12. #12

    :|Yes all the settings have been check and rechecked a thousand times.
    Sometimes I can actually connect and actually dowload the page and sometimes I
    can actually publish after editing a page. Most of the time however I can do
    any or all of the things. Ofter after a connection failure I notice I have to
    go into "connections" and re-enable it again.

    To be fair I think it may be something on my computer (Mac imac G3 running
    Tiger). A friend has been able to go on to my site from his computer. I used to
    be able to, no problems, but something must have changed somewhere. I can FTP
    to the site up and down with an FTP program.

    kiwigray Guest

  13. #13

    I have the exact same problem..windows xp, on a network, sp2.
    I am running wsftp pro..if I get into the site with the ftp software, then
    contribute will not work. If I reboot I MIGHT be able to get into contribute
    3.11 once..then I wont be able to get in via ftp pro.
    BUT, if I run home and get on the same configured computer without a network I
    dont have a problem at all..
    I have the exact same error message you are receiving.

    grey25 Guest

  14. #14

    to add a little more info..after the macromedia contribute 3.11 generates the
    error "waiting for the server" then the usual "contact administrator...
    If I close the program completely and then open microsoft browser I cannot
    browse to the website that I was trying to edit!
    I have to then reboot to browse to the site
    any thoughts?
    thanks

    grey25 Guest

  15. #15

    MACROMEDIA / ADOBE THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

    I have clients wanting me to refund their money for the Contribute purchase...
    and I realy don't blame them. I was the one that recommended the bug ridden
    software. I have used v1, v2, and v3 hoping the each subsequent version would
    eliminate the instability of the prior version. When will I quit poking this
    sharp stick into my eye?

    Please fix this issue or offer refunds to those that cannot get their $100+
    software to work.

    Regards,

    Jeff Boothe

    See4th Guest

  16. #16

    Does anyone know if Macromedia (Adobe) even looks at these postings. I suspect
    not, or they may have had the decency of responding in some way. I can FTP and
    log into my site without any trouble whatsoever, but do you think I can get
    Contribute to do likewise. No way. Perhaps we need a class action or something
    to get it to the attention of the purveyors of this rubbish. Does anyone know
    anything else that does a similar thing. I even was so desperate that I tried
    to set up my site at other servers, but none of them that I know of allow FTP
    uploading. They all insist on uploading one file at a time, and when you have a
    hundred or son pages, it becomes impossible.

    kiwigray Guest

  17. #17

    :D Well I at least might have to apologise to Adobe. In desperation, I started
    another site at [url]http://kiwigray.white.prohosting.com[/url]. It is a free site (with
    some strings attached). After I set up the site, I used Transmit (remember I
    am on a Mac), to FTP all my files up there. Don't use the site upload system
    because as far as I can see you can only upload a file at a time, unless you
    pay for the site, which as it is working, I might.

    I then fired up Contribute, changed the site details, login etc and hey
    presto, it has not failed to connect or let me do editing and publishing to my
    hearts content.

    Makes me think that there is something on some host sits that is causing the
    problem and not Contribute.

    What do people think?

    kiwigray Guest

  18. #18

    All,

    Here are a couple of things that will get in the way of having a successful
    connection with Contribute.

    Another option that I thought of would be relating to an ISP using virtual
    Directories. Here is a TechNote refering to this.
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_16649[/url]

    There was also a one time thing I saw but can't remember all the details... It
    was relating to a setting for folder/directory writing... The ISP turned the
    setting off and everything started working. I am searching for more information
    on this. Will post it when I find it.

    jnosal3 Guest