Professional Web Applications Themes

Ethernet/AppleTalk print server? - Mac Networking

I want to put a couple of AppleTalk laser printers on my Ethernet network and print to them via TCP/IP. To do this, I need an adapter/server that will give me an IP address that I can configure. I'm aware of AppleTalk-to-Ethernet adapters such as Asante's EtherPrint/EtherTalk products. But these don't have a configurable IP address (pretty sure about this...). Are there any devices on the market that will allow me to do this? Thanks, -- DaveC net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group...

  1. #1

    Default Ethernet/AppleTalk print server?

    --
    DaveC
    net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ethernet/AppleTalk print server?

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    Why do you need an IP address? Just use AppleTalk printing.

    Even if you could get an IP address, it would be for the adaptor; you
    still wouldn't have addresses for the printers.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > Why do you need an IP address? Just use AppleTalk printing.
    >
    > Even if you could get an IP address, it would be for the adaptor; you
    > still wouldn't have addresses for the printers.[/ref]

    When I've used AppleTalk printers via ethernet using a bridge, I've
    had one of the computers on the network configured to run the print
    queue for that printer.
    David Guest

  4. #4

    Hello,

    It depends what PCs you are connecting to the LaserWriter. It also
    depends which LaserWriter your are using.

    Which Windows OS are you using?

    Windows XP does NOT support AppleTalk. You must use TCP/IP printing
    over an ethernet. If you have an older version of Windows (95 for
    example) you can connect directly.

    Only certain LaserWriter support TCP/IP printing (the 16/600 for
    example).

    Before you spend a bunch of money on Ethernet Adaptors (which are slow
    for large files), consider just buying a healthy old 16/600 for under
    $100.

    You can also just connect any Mac LaserWriter directly to the PC (any
    OS via parallel cable. This works fine to.

    I have a mixed network of old and new Macs and a couple of PCs (running
    XP Pro) with a few 16/600s at my home. WORKS GREAT!

    Email me if there are any questions.

    Craig Bergh
    net

    _______________

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC

    CB Guest

  5. #5

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    You can't simply switch from IP to AppleTalk, it just doesn't work that
    way. To do what you want you would need a print server that can accept
    IP print jobs and print to AppleTalk printers. AppleShare IP 6.0 can do
    this.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:09:01 -0700, Clark Martin wrote
    (in article <sonic.net>):

    I realize that. I'm asking if there is a server box (not a computer) that can
    do the IP - to - AT print serving.

    Hopefully I can find a server box to do this.

  7. #7

    <
    < > You can't simply switch from IP to AppleTalk, it just doesn't work
    < > that way. To do what you want you would need a print server that
    < > can accept IP print jobs and print to AppleTalk printers.
    <
    < I realize that. I'm asking if there is a server box (not a computer)
    < that can do the IP - to - AT print serving.

    It sounds like you want a GatorBox. They show up on ebay every few
    weeks and generally sell for $10-$30. A web search ought to get you
    configuration software and instructions. If you can't find them, let
    me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

    Mark Geary

    --
    "It's going to be a tough one Sam...Ziggy hasn't got a clue and the
    guy in the waiting room keeps asking me if I want a jelly baby."

  8. #8

    In article <com>, Big Bird <com>
    wrote:

    It wasn't a GatorBox, but I do remeber seeing a PrintServer box that
    included Windows & Apple connections including, IIRC, AppleTalk. I
    even had a note of it, but I can't find my notebook right now. Check
    your local computer stores, and look at the small print on the boxes.
    If I can find the specific information, I'll post it here.
    David Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>, com (Big Bird)
    wrote:

    A GatorBox or FastPath will route or bridge MacIP to Ethernet IP but
    that is not what is needed here. What is needed is to convert IP
    printing (LPR) to AppleTalk printing. AFAIK there isn't any box to do
    this.

    The only option that comes to mind (aside form the AppleShare server) is
    to attach a network adapter to the parallel port on the LaserWriter
    (assuming it has one).

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 18:36:48 -0700, Clark Martin wrote
    (in article <sonic.net>):

    No, it doesn't. The main issue (one of them, anyway) is that most older
    AppleTalk printers have only a mini-DIN 8 connector, the AppleTalk connector.

  11. #11

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    Why do you need IP addresses? I have an old AppleTalk LaserWriter
    connected to my LAN via an Asante AsnateTalk device and all my Macs can
    see it and print to it from both OS X GUI applications and lpr commands.
    I just specify the name of the printer, rather than its network address
    on the command line.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Support the 2004 Million Mom March on Washington DC
    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  12. #12

    Clark Martin <net> wrote:

    hmmm, I just opened Printer Setup Utility (10.3.3)
    selected AppleTalk, & it gave me a list of available printers in
    the default zone.

    Now to try it at home later with the trusty old 7600/9.2.2 running
    LocalTalkBridge to a DeskWriter 320
    J.Random Guest

  13. #13

    Hello,

    You have had a lot of responses.

    I still wonder if you need any additional equipment or not.

    Would you describe what computers (including OS versions) and which
    printers you are trying to set up,

    Craig Bergh
    Worthington, MN

    _______________

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC

    CB Guest

  14. #14

    > In article <individual.net>, DaveC [/ref]

    Try looking at the D-Link DP-300 print server. (Yes, I found that
    notebook!) It also says here, "Trendware.com TE100-PS1plus" but I
    didn't note whether or not it claimed to support Macs.
    David Guest

  15. #15

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:17:40 -0700, CB wrote
    (in article <030520041717400000%com>):

    Several iMacs (non-flat panel models), a few G3's, a few PowerBooks. Most
    running OS 9.x, one running OS X 10.3.2.

    Printers : HP LJ 2100, one Apple LaserWriter Select 360. All have AppleTalk
    (mini-DIN 8) connectors. The HP's have parallel connectors, of course.

  16. #16

    Now I understand,

    I suggest you consider buying a printer that supports TCP/IP printing.
    In the Apple family that starts with the 16/600 and higher. Your 360
    will not support it directly. That is why tolks are recommending print
    servers.

    If you get a nice old 16/600, it will connect directly to the Macs and
    PCs. No additional equipment needed. You can try TCP/IP printing on the
    Macs. In System 9 you need to get Destop Printing Application. I have
    it, email if you need me to send it. In OSX, the it is built into the
    print drivers.

    I did not like TCP/IP printing on the Mac. But you will have the
    option. On the PC, you will have to use it in XP since it does not
    support Appletalk. You have to install the additional Unix printing
    software from the Control Panel.

    It is simpler, and no other hardware is needed.

    My home is a mixed Mac/PC network sharing a number of 16/600 printers.
    Works great.

    Look for a nice old 16/600 o EBay for about $50 or so. A very good
    printer and it will allow you try out TCP/IP printing.

    Think before buying additional print servers, etc.

    Email if there are questions.

    Craig Bergh
    net

    <net> wrote:

    > Several iMacs (non-flat panel models), a few G3's, a few PowerBooks. Most
    > running OS 9.x, one running OS X 10.3.2.
    >
    > Printers : HP LJ 2100, one Apple LaserWriter Select 360. All have AppleTalk
    > (mini-DIN 8) connectors. The HP's have parallel connectors, of course.[/ref]
    Craig Guest