Professional Web Applications Themes

EXCEL spreadsheet - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello I'm new to InDesign, but love all the features it has to offer. I'm having a problem placing a EXCEL chart without the grid lines. In PageMaker I was able to copy from EXCEL and PasteSpecial into PageMaker. It seemed to work pretty nice. What am I missing? thanks Susan...

  1. #1

    Default EXCEL spreadsheet

    susan_sicora@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: EXCEL spreadsheet

    Susan, you can place the excel file like a text file or picture with the
    place command. Any formatting then is done with the formatting abilities of
    InDesign, inclusing stroke width and color.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  3. #3

    ID2.x was defaulting to 1 pt lines if Excel was set to 'none' for the grid.
    So you had no option with that but edit the stroke in ID later.

    rgrds
    George
    George_Bilalis@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In PageMaker I was able to copy from EXCEL and PasteSpecial into PageMaker.
    It seemed to work pretty nice.

    Although it seems like it was working good, you can check in the PM forum and just about anyone there can tell you that doing a Paste Special is anything but good.

    Personally, the way I place Excel spreadsheets or Word docs with tables etc. to ID is by making a PDF first, then placing the PDF in ID. I prefer doing it this way because all the original formatting is retained. The result is your placed file will look exactly like the native file.

    Note: To edit, you'll need to keep a copy of the native file and PDF it again.

    HTH,
    Gabriel
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Gabriel,

    There are, of course, some limits to this approach, mainly to do with how pdf handles those metafile pattern fills (poorly, since they're store in the metafile as bitmaps).

    Also, you can edit the graphs after making them in Illustrator.
    David_Earls@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This is a wonderful idea if you are inserting new tables, or replacing entire tables, but when you need to replace thousands of cells in seperate tables, and the info provided is in disorganized spreadsheets, it would be great to find a way to copy and paste. Does anyone know if Adobe is working on this issue?

    Christie
    Christie_L._Davis@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I don't know about Adobe, but Dave Saunders has been working on it:

    [url]http://www.pdsassoc.com/index.php?Nav=downs&Ban=Downloads&Info=downloads.h tml[/url]

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #8

    Does anyone have experience querying Excel spreadsheets? If so, here's my
    dilemma: I'm trying to set it up so my users can upload an excel spreadsheet a
    couple times a month so CF can query the data and populate a SQL table.

    Initially, when we set up the DSN, it worked - i.e. my query worked. NOW,
    since I've uploaded a new spreadsheet - it doesn't work anyone. Could it be
    that the DSN made a connection to the existing spreadsheet, but can't see the
    spreadsheet with a new name (with a different name, but with same sheet names)?
    I keep getting a 'can't find' error: "The Microsoft Jet database engine could
    not find the object 'projects$'. Make sure the object exists and that
    you spell its name and the path name correctly. "

    BTW: The sheet name (object) exists. AND the code worked before I uploaded a
    new excel spreadsheet with a different name. I can supply screen prints of the
    system ODBC connection and CF administrator if needed.

    What's your take on this situation?

    Thanks,
    z.

    ganzor Guest

  9. #9

    I've had success using cffile to upload a csv file, then using cfhttp to create a query, which are really easy to work with.
    Dan Bracuk Guest

  10. #10

    When you create an ODBC datasource out of an Excel spreadsheet, you use the
    actual Excel file name, so if you upload a new spreadsheet with a different
    name, your data source is no longer valid. In other words, your DSN points to
    an ODBC data source, and your ODBC data source points to a particular
    spreadsheet file. If that file no longer exists (renamed), then your DSN is no
    longer pointing to anything.

    Phil

    paross1 Guest

  11. #11

    try cfx_excel2query from
    [url]http://www.emerle.net/programming/display.cfm/t/cfx_excel2query[/url]

    Transform a Microsoft Excel file into a ColdFusion query without installing
    Excel on your server! This tag is written in 100% java, so there is no need for
    the dreaded COM. This tag works best with simple Excel files, but many have had
    luck with extremely complex files.

    cheers,
    Kim

    kim il sung Guest

  12. #12

    I tried to install this tag and following the directions word for word DID NOT work. SO it's pretty much useless to me.
    Scooby Doobie Doo Guest

  13. #13

    Scooby Doobie Doo,

    Be aware that using CFHTTP usually means placing your data file in a web
    accessible directory. This means that your data may be accessible to the
    public, which is usually not desirable. If you are using a CSV file there are
    other alternatives. For example, the CSVToQuery UDF at cflib.org

    [url]http://www.cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=1236[/url]

    Most database also have import utitlities. For example mySQL has an import
    tool. With Access you could probably import the data directly using a single
    cfquery. MS SQL also has a number of tools available, DTS, etc...

    mxstu Guest

  14. #14

    Originally posted by: kim il sung
    try cfx_excel2query from
    [url]http://www.emerle.net/programming/display.cfm/t/cfx_excel2query[/url]

    Transform a Microsoft Excel file into a ColdFusion query without installing
    Excel on your server! This tag is written in 100% java, so there is no need for
    the dreaded COM. This tag works best with simple Excel files, but many have had
    luck with extremely complex files.

    cheers,
    Kim

    I have installed this, but do not know how to implement. Any sample code can
    see how to show variable in excel ?

    hasbroconny Guest