Professional Web Applications Themes

Excellent Forum! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've been using Elements for a little more than 2 years now, both 1 and 2, and have been reading this forum just as long. I have learned so much from you people it's incredible. Everybody seems so friendly and helpful and rarely seems to get frustrated with newbees. On the other hand, I have occassionally visited the Photoshop forum and have noticed a totally different tone there. They seem to be very impatient with new or repeat questions, even getting upset with posters. I would be very intimidated posting there if I used Photoshop, very comfortable here though. Thank ...

  1. #1

    Default Excellent Forum!

    I've been using Elements for a little more than 2 years now, both 1 and 2, and have been reading this forum just as long. I have learned so much from you people it's incredible. Everybody seems so friendly and helpful and rarely seems to get frustrated with newbees. On the other hand, I have occassionally visited the Photoshop forum and have noticed a totally different tone there. They seem to be very impatient with new or repeat questions, even getting upset with posters. I would be very intimidated posting there if I used Photoshop, very comfortable here though. Thank you!
    dhoganjr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Excellent Forum!

    Ray, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, I guess....but I haven't
    visited there myself in many weeks. Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, I am a regular poster on the Photoshop Forum, and I remember all of the posts from the past several years. There are two sides to the Photoshop forum, one is for Mac and one is for Windows. You will find the more intense artists and professionals on the Mac side, where I hang out. There is little tolerance for those who come on as newbies and purport to 'know it all' - they get chewed up handily. But for honest regular folks, like you and me, we are the friendly bunch who enjoy the craft and art and the privilege of being employed to run the best software on earth - Photoshop.

    I got Elements on a disk with a Wacom tablet I bought for home use and I am very impressed with the program. It is a little Photoshop. This is nice because if you ever want to step up to Photoshop, you will be prepared in many areas of how the tools work and how the program operates.

    Best wishes to all here,

    Ken
    Ken Nielsen • Guest

  4. #4

    One of the differences is our reaction to seeing a posting by a 'newbie'. Here, we see it as an opportunity to help someone solve their current dilemma, learn to enjoy the program, and, hopefully, become a contributor to the forum and even the Challenge. In other places, the reaction may be a bit less constructive...

    :-)

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    You want to get an example of what I'm saying? Read this. A guy posted a
    Photoshop 7 question on the Photoshop Album forum. I kindly instructed him
    to post his question on the Photoshop Forum. Jim Lutte (Adobe volounteer)
    moved the thread to Photoshop Win Forum for the same reason.

    Later, someone (whose name I won't mention) took the time to let me know I
    was wrong whereas, of course, I was right in suggesting this guy to move his
    post to the other forum (because my post was in the thread, and not Jim's) :

    "Ray...

    I believe yer lost, sonny.

    Head down the road apiece, and ya know where the old Knoll house used to be?
    Keep going.

    Then, when you get to that corner where old-man Cox rolled his haywagon,
    turn right. Go till you see the Burma Shave sign, and stop before you get to
    the last one.

    Get out an' holler real loud; a friendly Mr. Hewitt will be along to point
    you the rest of the way toward where yer goin'. "

    And, of course, the guy posting the question in the first place never got an
    answer!

    Ray, who definitively thinks some people have way too much free time :)

    Ray Guest

  6. #6

    Ray,

    I get your point about the unhelpfulness of some in other forums.
    I hope you forgive me but when I read the persons unhelpful note I couldn't help but wonder where he lives and what kind of accent he has in his speech. My guess is that he chews gum, comes from the southern states and walks around in cowboy boots. Am I right?

    Robert from Europe
    Schraven Robert Guest

  7. #7

    Naw, I figure the guy chewing gum and wearing the cowboy boots probably has more class than whoever posted that! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  8. #8

    Robert, I have no clue because, frankly, I didn't understand a word of what
    he wrote (or she.. ?) English is a second language to me.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  9. #9

    Ray wrote:
    >You want to get an example of what I'm saying? Read this. A guy posted a
    >Photoshop 7 question on the Photoshop Album forum. I kindly instructed him
    >to post his question on the Photoshop Forum. Jim Lutte (Adobe volounteer)
    >moved the thread to Photoshop Win Forum for the same reason.

    I saw the same posting but had no idea, that it had been previously
    moved by a forum host. I too thought it was in the wrong forum but went
    ahead and answered the question as best I could.

    Dave

    Dave Hamer Guest

  10. #10

    Now, Robert....let's not be too harsh on people from southern states wearing
    cowboy boots and chewing gum.....we're not all bad, honest!

    :-)

    Chuck (deep in the heart of Texas, with gum stuck on the heel of his cowboy
    boot...)

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    No, of course not. As not all Quebekers are seperatists, not all...are...
    ;)

    Ray Guest

  12. #12

    Frankly I don't think anybody would ever run up against that person face to face anywhere in the country - except maybe in a tavern around midnight just before the bouncer put him out the door. He sounds like the kind of smarta-- that gets his jollies long distance. It would be interesting to know if the person uses his own name or hides behind a user name, except I'm too lazy to look. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  13. #13

    Robert, home was meant for this forum :)
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  14. #14

    Hey... I'm a newbie! Could someone chew me up and spit me out so I feel at home? I like it here as well. Everyone on this side of the fence puts there pants on one leg at a time versus the other side where Geeves the butler does it for them while they look down their long noses at him. :) (Insert snappy rim shot here)
    cookgreg Guest

  15. #15

    Wow, cookgreg-the-newbie, we usually like to do everything we can to accommodate requests from newcomers for "help", but I'm not sure anybody here can handle this one! I get a touch snippy every once in a while, but I have to be in a really bad mood before that happens. The day has just been going too well. Maybe later? :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks Beth, I'll take your raincheck then. ;)

    As for the topic at hand, I've been using PS for about 5 months. The product itself can be intimidating at the beginning. Prior to coming into the Elements U2U, I hovered in the Photoshop forums w/o posting. One thing I observed was anxious newbies who, understandibly want to know how to do THIS right now without doing any research on their own. That is when I saw "the regulars" eat them up. I don't think their intention was to curb enthusiasm, but rather to encourage them to dig through all the bells and whistles for themselves. THEN, if they still had questions, it would be alright to post. They just use (at times)a snide tone to express it. Me, I'll just relax in here you where I don't have to worry about fangs and claws if that is alright with all of you.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  17. #17

    cookgreg

    "Could someone chew me up"

    Wow ... this reminds me of the spat between the masochist and the sadist.
    The masochist said "Hit me, just go a head and hit me."
    The sadist said "No."

    g.

    Grant Dixon Guest

  18. #18

    Ray,

    I too saw your helpful post redirecting the person to the correct forum. I've read enough forums to have realized that it was most likely reposted by a moderator and was appalled at the responses you received.

    By the way, I go to Montreal each year for the Grand Prix, what a beautiful city you have! (You live in Montreal right?) In fact, it was the pictures I have taken at the Grand Prix which got me started with all this Adobe stuff. Maybe someday DSL will come to my little rural part of heaven...sorry, New Hampshire, and I will be able to post some.

    After my initial post I was a bit concerned that I may have offended some users; it's nice to see that I was not alone in my feelings. Thanks again to everyone fo the help over the years!
    dhoganjr Guest

  19. #19

    dhoganjr,

    Yes, I live in Montreal. Asside from attending the Grand Prix, did you have
    time to visit the city ? Old Montreal, perhaps ?

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  20. #20

    dhoganjr,

    On your next trip, be sure to visit Old Montreal. You'll get a really good
    sense of old Europe. And the restaurants are all fabulous and for a very
    reasonable price! From there, take a walk in the Old Port, and enjoy the
    festivities, and perhaps an IMAX movie as well :)

    From Montreal (driving), we've visited New York, Plattsburg, Burlington,
    Saratoga Spring (very charming city!), and of course, Toronto and Ottawa.
    Next trip is New Brunswick.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast