Professional Web Applications Themes

Exception error querying Access database from ASP page... Memo field type? - ASP Database

Hi! Working with an MS Access database from an ASP webpage and I'm getting an Exception error... Error Type: (0x80020009) Exception occurred. /Projects/App/Mypage.asp, line 184 The SQL statement looks like so... strSQL = "SELECT Cat, MyNote FROM Notes WHERE KeyLink = " & SelKey rsSet.Open strSQL, adoCon Cat is a 10 character text field, MyNote is a Memo field (and I think the memo field is causing the issue), KeyLink is a number, as is the variable SelKey. I can't update or change any of the components/software on the server. Can someone explain why this is happening? I've found a ...

  1. #1

    Default Exception error querying Access database from ASP page... Memo field type?

    Hi!

    Working with an MS Access database from an ASP webpage and I'm getting an
    Exception error...

    Error Type:
    (0x80020009)
    Exception occurred.
    /Projects/App/Mypage.asp, line 184

    The SQL statement looks like so...

    strSQL = "SELECT Cat, MyNote FROM Notes WHERE KeyLink = " & SelKey
    rsSet.Open strSQL, adoCon

    Cat is a 10 character text field, MyNote is a Memo field (and I think the
    memo field is causing the issue), KeyLink is a number, as is the variable
    SelKey.

    I can't update or change any of the components/software on the server.

    Can someone explain why this is happening? I've found a few similar issues
    through Google, but nothing really helpful.

    Noozer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exception error querying Access database from ASP page...

    "Noozer" <dont.spamme.here> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Working with an MS Access database from an ASP webpage and I'm getting an
    > Exception error...
    >
    > Error Type:
    > (0x80020009)
    > Exception occurred.
    > /Projects/App/Mypage.asp, line 184
    Oops... I goofed. I actually fixed the SQL statement I posted about by
    adding an extra field, and the error I pasted was located further down the
    page...

    The second error is now also corrected. I was referencing a single field,
    but naming two tables.

    It all looks related to querying a database and having a TEXT or MEMO field
    as the first column.

    Noozer Guest

  3. #3

    Noozer wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Working with an MS Access database from an ASP webpage and I'm
    > getting an Exception error...
    >
    > Error Type:
    > (0x80020009)
    > Exception occurred.
    > /Projects/App/Mypage.asp, line 184
    >
    > The SQL statement looks like so...
    >
    > strSQL = "SELECT Cat, MyNote FROM Notes WHERE KeyLink = " & SelKey
    > rsSet.Open strSQL, adoCon
    >
    > Cat is a 10 character text field, MyNote is a Memo field (and I think
    > the memo field is causing the issue), KeyLink is a number, as is the
    > variable SelKey.
    >
    > I can't update or change any of the components/software on the server.
    >
    > Can someone explain why this is happening? I've found a few similar
    > issues through Google, but nothing really helpful.
    Are you using ODBC for your connection? If so, switch to the native OLEDB
    Provider for Jet ([url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url])

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    Noozer wrote:
    > "Noozer" <dont.spamme.here> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Working with an MS Access database from an ASP webpage and I'm
    >> getting an Exception error...
    >>
    >> Error Type:
    >> (0x80020009)
    >> Exception occurred.
    >> /Projects/App/Mypage.asp, line 184
    >
    > Oops... I goofed. I actually fixed the SQL statement I posted about
    > by adding an extra field, and the error I pasted was located further
    > down the page...
    >
    > The second error is now also corrected. I was referencing a single
    > field, but naming two tables.
    >
    > It all looks related to querying a database and having a TEXT or MEMO
    > field as the first column.
    Again, this is an issue with ODBC. It should not be an issue with OLEDB. If
    it is, then you need to install the latest version of MDAC.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    > > Error Type:
    > > (0x80020009)
    > > Exception occurred.
    > Are you using ODBC for your connection? If so, switch to the native OLEDB
    > Provider for Jet ([url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url])
    Thanks... Made the change and it's working fine.

    Just wondering if OLEDB is the "preferred" method or just works better in
    this case.

    Noozer Guest

  6. #6

    Noozer wrote:
    >>> Error Type:
    >>> (0x80020009)
    >>> Exception occurred.
    >
    >> Are you using ODBC for your connection? If so, switch to the native
    >> OLEDB Provider for Jet ([url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url])
    >
    > Thanks... Made the change and it's working fine.
    >
    > Just wondering if OLEDB is the "preferred" method or just works
    > better in this case.
    Yes, it's the preferred method, not ony because it works better in this
    case, but also because it works better in a lot of other cirstances. See
    here:
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/ado_deprecated_components.asp[/url]

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    > > Just wondering if OLEDB is the "preferred" method or just works
    > > better in this case.
    > Yes, it's the preferred method, not ony because it works better in this
    > case, but also because it works better in a lot of other cirstances.
    See
    > here:

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/ado_deprecated_components.asp[/url]

    Muchly appreciated...