Professional Web Applications Themes

exerb problem - dll not found - Ruby

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C382DF.F8B27A30 Content-Type: text/plain Hi all, Ruby 1.6.8 Windows XP Pro exerb 2.6.7 I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box and it worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he got this error: "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this ...

  1. #1

    Default exerb problem - dll not found

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C382DF.F8B27A30

    Hi all,

    Ruby 1.6.8
    Windows XP Pro
    exerb 2.6.7

    I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box and it
    worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C extensions.
    I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he got this error:

    "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not found.
    Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

    Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I'm assuming that's where the dll
    came from. My question is, why does it need this dll? Is it because of the
    C extensions? Or did I build it badly? Is there a way around this or will
    I simply have to distribute the dll with the exe file as part of a
    distribution?

    Any and all help appreciated.

    Regards,

    Dan

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C382DF.F8B27A30

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    cht=3DUS-ASCII">
    5.5.2653.12">
    <TITLE>exerb problem - dll not found</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all,</FONT>
    </P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ruby 1.6.8</FONT>
    <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Windows XP Pro</FONT>
    <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">exerb 2.6.7</FONT>
    </P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I recently was able to successfully =
    build an exe on my own XP Pro box and it worked fine.&nbsp; This =
    application includes Ruby packages that are C extensions. I gave it to =
    a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he got this error:</FONT></P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;This application has failed to =
    start because MSVCR70.dll was not found.&nbsp; Re-installing the =
    application may fix this problem&quot;.</FONT></P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and =
    I'm assuming that's where the dll came from.&nbsp; My question is, why =
    does it need this dll?&nbsp; Is it because of the C extensions?&nbsp; =
    Or did I build it badly?&nbsp; Is there a way around this or will I =
    simply have to distribute the dll with the exe file as part of a =
    distribution?</FONT></P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any and all help appreciated.</FONT>
    </P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Regards,</FONT>
    </P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dan</FONT>
    </P>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>
    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C382DF.F8B27A30--

    Berger, Daniel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: exerb problem - dll not found

    Berger, Daniel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Ruby 1.6.8
    > Windows XP Pro
    > exerb 2.6.7
    >
    > I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box
    > and it worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C
    > extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he
    > got this error:
    >
    > "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not
    > found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
    >
    > Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I'm assuming that's where the dll
    > came from. My question is, why does it need this dll? Is it because of
    > the C extensions? Or did I build it badly? Is there a way around this
    > or will I simply have to distribute the dll with the exe file as part of
    > a distribution?

    msvcr*.dll and msvcrt.dll are the runtime libraries for windows.
    You either redistribute them, link statically or do it with VC++6.0
    whose runtime is in all installations of Win98 or later.
    I don't know anythign about exerb (something I need to rectify), but
    check to see if it will allow you to built statically.
    Cheers,
    V.-

    [url]http://www.freemail.gr[/url] - δωρεάν υπηρεσία ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου.
    [url]http://www.freemail.gr[/url] - free email service for the Greek-speaking.

    Damphyr Guest

  3. #3

    > msvcr*.dll and msvcrt.dll are the runtime libraries for windows.
    > You either redistribute them, link statically or do it with VC++6.0
    > whose runtime is in all installations of Win98 or later.
    > I don't know anythign about exerb (something I need to rectify), but
    > check to see if it will allow you to built statically.
    If you google for msvcr70.dll, first hit allows you to download it (you
    can feel lucky). msvcr*.dll are indeed the C runtime libs for windows,
    just like the vbrun*.dll were (still are?) the runtimes for VB. You should
    either put it in the same dir as the executable, or somewhere reachable by
    the PATH variable.

    Also, on my WinXP, the dll is present as part of the .NET stuff, but it's
    not anywhere near the dirs in my PATH variable... A simple search of the
    windows dir and the dll might turn up. Then just copy it to the windows
    dir and your friend should be able to run any executable you build with
    exerb.

    Peter

    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    Berger, Daniel wrote:
    > I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box
    > and it worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C
    > extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he
    > got this error:
    >
    > "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not
    > found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
    >
    > Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I'm assuming that's where the dll
    > came from. My question is, why does it need this dll?
    MSVCRT70.DLL is the C runtime library. You can think of it as the
    equivalent of, say, libc.so on a Linux system (maybe Solaris too).
    > Is it because of the C extensions?
    Yes ;)
    > Or did I build it badly?
    Not very familiar with exerb, but I doubt this indicates that you did
    anything wrong. exerb probably just doesn't bundle dependencies such as
    this one into its archive.
    > Is there a way around this or will I simply have to distribute the dll
    > with the exe file as part of a distribution?
    I think the latter. You want to make sure that this DLL is somewhere in
    the user's PATH.

    Lyle Johnson Guest