Professional Web Applications Themes

Exim, can send mail but not receive - Debian

Just installed Exim 3.35, I can send mail from the server and from a machine on the LAN. The machine has the domain MX record pointing to it. The /var/mail/$user user files receive the mail but clients seem incapable of collecting this mail. Using outlook express, get the following Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'LANMAIL', Server: 'mailserver_name', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F What do I need to do to allow mail to be collected Many Thanks Gordon Chapman...

  1. #1

    Default Exim, can send mail but not receive

    Just installed Exim 3.35, I can send mail from the server and from a machine
    on the LAN. The machine has the domain MX record pointing to it. The
    /var/mail/$user user files receive the mail but clients seem incapable of
    collecting this mail. Using outlook express, get the following

    inactivity. Account: 'LANMAIL', Server: 'mailserver_name', Protocol: POP3,
    Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

    What do I need to do to allow mail to be collected

    Many Thanks

    Gordon Chapman

    Gordon Chapman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exim, can send mail but not receive

    "Gordon" == Gordon Chapman <gordon.chapmanfreeuk.com> writes:

    Gordon> Just installed Exim 3.35, I can send mail from the server
    Gordon> and from a machine on the LAN. The machine has the domain
    Gordon> MX record pointing to it. The /var/mail/$user user files
    Gordon> receive the mail but clients seem incapable of collecting
    Gordon> this mail. Using outlook express, get the following Your
    Gordon> server has unexpectedly terminated the
    Gordon> connection.

    Exim is only a Mail Transfer Agent, it is not a POP or IMAP server
    that allows email clients to fetch mail. You need to install and
    configure a POP or IMAP server for Outlook Express to be able to fetch
    mail. ("apt-cache search pop" and "apt-cache search imap" will help in
    looking at your options).

    Most Unix style mail clients do not need such servers if they are
    running on a machine that can read /var/mail/${user} files. POP is
    what Outlook Express is expecting when fetching mail. Exim provides
    the SMTP interface that Outlook Express can use to send mail, and SMTP
    is also used when mail is exchanged between systems.

    Cheers!
    Shyamal

    Shyamal Prasad Guest

  3. #3

    Hello

    Gordon Chapman wrote:
    > Just installed Exim 3.35, I can send mail from the server and from a
    > machine on the LAN. The machine has the domain MX record pointing to it.
    > The /var/mail/$user user files receive the mail but clients seem
    > incapable of collecting this mail. Using outlook express, get the
    > following
    >
    > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
    > for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > inactivity. Account: 'LANMAIL', Server: 'mailserver_name', Protocol:
    > POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    >
    > What do I need to do to allow mail to be collected
    If the email is delivered to the files in /var/mail/, it looks like you
    have a problem with your POP3 server rather than a problem with exim. You
    do have one installed, right?

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

    Andreas Janssen Guest