Professional Web Applications Themes

Expand Partition - Windows Server

Hello, I need to expand the main partition that windows 2003 standard edition sits on, ie partition 0. I am using Raid 5 with striping. Is it possibile to backup some important files, format, expand the partition, put the files back, and have the server preserve the usernames, memberships, domain info etc? Is there a method that would prevent me from having to rejoin every member back to the domain? I was thinking that I should also know this for disaster recovery. I know that the SAM would need to be backed up and I know how to export Policys, ...

  1. #1

    Default Expand Partition

    Hello, I need to expand the main partition that windows
    2003 standard edition sits on, ie partition 0. I am using
    Raid 5 with striping. Is it possibile to backup some
    important files, format, expand the partition, put the
    files back, and have the server preserve the usernames,
    memberships, domain info etc? Is there a method that
    would prevent me from having to rejoin every member back
    to the domain? I was thinking that I should also know
    this for disaster recovery. I know that the SAM would
    need to be backed up and I know how to export Policys, I
    just don't know what else I would need. Is there a better
    way to do this?
    Thanks.

    Joe Sorenson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Expand Partition

    Joe Sorenson wrote:
    > Hello, I need to expand the main partition that windows
    > 2003 standard edition sits on, ie partition 0. I am using
    > Raid 5 with striping. Is it possibile to backup some
    > important files, format, expand the partition, put the
    > files back, and have the server preserve the usernames,
    > memberships, domain info etc? Is there a method that
    Yes, it's possible but it can be messy. It would be better to make a
    full backup and restore it. Some backup programs have a disaster
    recovery option that gives you a bootable CD and restores everything as
    it was before.
    > would prevent me from having to rejoin every member back
    > to the domain? I was thinking that I should also know
    > this for disaster recovery. I know that the SAM would
    > need to be backed up and I know how to export Policys, I
    > just don't know what else I would need. Is there a better
    > way to do this?
    I'd recommend expanding the partition with VolumeMagic
    (ServerMagic/PartitionMagic), PartitionExpert, or the like. Also, If
    there's a particular folder that can be moved to give you more space
    (e.g., "Program Files") You could move them onto another disk a create a
    mount point over that folder.

    -Dan
    Dan Mellem Guest

  3. #3

    Joe

    You will need free contiguous space after C: in order to expand it.

    You can use diskpart.exe from "safe mode with command prompt" to expand
    your system partition, as long as your disk is not dynamic.

    This is normally not recommended on the system partition, but usually works
    anyway. Also see this MS Knowledge Base article:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590[/url]

    Another option is to perform an upgrade installation, as this article
    describes:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325857[/url]

    Before trying this on a domain controller, you probably would like to
    perform a full backup, and - if possible - a test restore, to ensure that
    you can get back if anything would fail.

    Volume Manager from Powerquest might also be an option.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    --
    Bjorn Landemoo - [email]mvp2landemoo.com[/email] - [url]http://landemoo.com/[/url]

    "Joe Sorenson" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Hello, I need to expand the main partition that windows
    >2003 standard edition sits on, ie partition 0. I am using
    >Raid 5 with striping. Is it possibile to backup some
    >important files, format, expand the partition, put the
    >files back, and have the server preserve the usernames,
    >memberships, domain info etc? Is there a method that
    >would prevent me from having to rejoin every member back
    >to the domain? I was thinking that I should also know
    >this for disaster recovery. I know that the SAM would
    >need to be backed up and I know how to export Policys, I
    >just don't know what else I would need. Is there a better
    >way to do this?
    >Thanks.
    Bjorn Landemoo Guest