Professional Web Applications Themes

Expected a dict. object error message - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I have an editable .pdf doent that I have posted to our website. When I click the link to open the .pdf I get an "Expected a dict object" dialog. I click okay and then a blank screen appears. Any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot this message? Any help would be greatly appreciated!...

  1. #1

    Default Expected a dict. object error message

    cguerrero@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Expected a dict. object error message

    I would ask the web hosts about their compliancy with PDF uploads ...
    Also - how did you upload the PDF (assuming it was good to begin with?)
    FTP / Web upload / email?

    Jon

    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The doc was emailed. My problems started when I converted it into an editable doent. I need to have the recipients be able to fill out the form while in their browser and then click a submit button to email back to us. The recipients are striving to achieve a "paperless" office.

    I called Adobe tech support and their response was that the doc was searching for a dictionary, they advised completely uninstalling Reader (manually remove empty directories)and then re-installing from scratch. I tried this on two different computers and there was no difference, I still get the same error message. Also, alot of people will be accessing this .pdf and it is impractical to have everyone uninstall and reinstall to accommodate my doc.

    This message comes on computers running 98SE. On XP, the message says "Bad foreign object".

    If I have time today I intend on calling Adobe again to let them know that their advise made no difference.

    The pdf was created on a Mac G5, Quark and the Creative Suite of products.

    Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!
    cguerrero@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    As a very basic starting point, I would re-save the PDF (SAVE-AS) and
    then upload via FTP. This would ensure the PDF has no memory and that
    the transfer method is cleaner than email.

  5. #5

    Unfortunately I can't.

    The doc resides on a third party server. I just link to their servers on our website, I have no ftp access. I have been in communication with the third party's tech support and they are just as befuddled as I am!

    I am considering recreating the doc from the ground up to see if I still get the same bad results.

    Thanks for your help! Any other thoughts? I am grasping at straws at this point.
    cguerrero@adobeforums.com Guest