Professional Web Applications Themes

Experience with camera repair shops - Photography

"Bogrod" <bo130excite.com> wrote in message news:452bc0dc.0307131751.72ea3e51posting.google.c om... > Dear All, > > Tommorow, I will be returning my Nikon FA camera to a camera shop > (midwest camera repair) for the second time since it was apparently > "fixed". I originally took it in because of some very awkward > exposure readings I was getting in the viewfinder of the camera, and > the behavior has returned twice since my original pickup. The owner > has assured me that the camera is likely repairable, and that it is > probably suffering from "intermitent failure". Is this intermitent > failure likely? ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Experience with camera repair shops

    "Bogrod" <bo130excite.com> wrote in message
    news:452bc0dc.0307131751.72ea3e51posting.google.c om...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > Tommorow, I will be returning my Nikon FA camera to a camera shop
    > (midwest camera repair) for the second time since it was apparently
    > "fixed". I originally took it in because of some very awkward
    > exposure readings I was getting in the viewfinder of the camera, and
    > the behavior has returned twice since my original pickup. The owner
    > has assured me that the camera is likely repairable, and that it is
    > probably suffering from "intermitent failure". Is this intermitent
    > failure likely? I'm wondering about this, because I don't want to be
    > wasting my time if I should really be asking for a refund. Midwest
    > Camera Repair came with a high amount of recommendation.
    >
    > Many thanks for any opinions.

    Intermittent failures do happen in cameras and can be a bear to duplicate
    and or trouble shoot.
    Is Midwest offering to repair your camera under warrantee? If so I would
    give them another chance to repair
    the exposure system.

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Thanks for the reply, Mike. :)

    Yes - they will warranty the camera for 6 months, but - as far as I am
    concerned they haven't fixed the camera to begin with. It's also a
    $150 repair, which is kind of dear when you consider that's nearly 1/2
    the cost of an FA from keh.

    I'm going to take it back into the shop here today, and the owner has
    said that he's willing to allow me to show him the malfunction - he
    was very nice with me on the phone BTW, and very helpful. I just
    wanted to verify that he was being honest with me about the camera.

    I was wondering if anyone here knows if most reputable repair shops
    will refund the cost of repairs if the camera does not operate
    reliably for any significant period of time?

    "Mike" <nedsnakeearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<wJpQa.944$Mc.57218newsread1.prod.itd.earthl ink.net>...
    > "Bogrod" <bo130excite.com> wrote in message
    > news:452bc0dc.0307131751.72ea3e51posting.google.c om...
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > Tommorow, I will be returning my Nikon FA camera to a camera shop
    > > (midwest camera repair) for the second time since it was apparently
    > > "fixed". I originally took it in because of some very awkward
    > > exposure readings I was getting in the viewfinder of the camera, and
    > > the behavior has returned twice since my original pickup. The owner
    > > has assured me that the camera is likely repairable, and that it is
    > > probably suffering from "intermitent failure". Is this intermitent
    > > failure likely? I'm wondering about this, because I don't want to be
    > > wasting my time if I should really be asking for a refund. Midwest
    > > Camera Repair came with a high amount of recommendation.
    > >
    > > Many thanks for any opinions.
    > >

    > Intermittent failures do happen in cameras and can be a bear to duplicate
    > and or trouble shoot.
    > Is Midwest offering to repair your camera under warrantee? If so I would
    > give them another chance to repair
    > the exposure system.
    Bogrod Guest

  3. #3

    Most camera repair shops want to do right by their customers.
    The challenge with repairing electronically controlled cameras is in
    duplicating the customers complaint, this can even be a problem in technical
    systems. Something as simple as a pinched wire can cause problems.
    Intermittent problems are the worst to trouble shoot, I am sure they will
    find the cause.
    Mike

    "Bogrod" <bo130excite.com> wrote in message
    news:452bc0dc.0307140647.6cc204e2posting.google.c om...
    > Thanks for the reply, Mike. :)
    >
    > Yes - they will warranty the camera for 6 months, but - as far as I am
    > concerned they haven't fixed the camera to begin with. It's also a
    > $150 repair, which is kind of dear when you consider that's nearly 1/2
    > the cost of an FA from keh.
    >
    > I'm going to take it back into the shop here today, and the owner has
    > said that he's willing to allow me to show him the malfunction - he
    > was very nice with me on the phone BTW, and very helpful. I just
    > wanted to verify that he was being honest with me about the camera.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone here knows if most reputable repair shops
    > will refund the cost of repairs if the camera does not operate
    > reliably for any significant period of time?
    >
    > "Mike" <nedsnakeearthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:<wJpQa.944$Mc.57218newsread1.prod.itd.earthl ink.net>...
    > > "Bogrod" <bo130excite.com> wrote in message
    > > news:452bc0dc.0307131751.72ea3e51posting.google.c om...
    > > > Dear All,
    > > >
    > > > Tommorow, I will be returning my Nikon FA camera to a camera shop
    > > > (midwest camera repair) for the second time since it was apparently
    > > > "fixed". I originally took it in because of some very awkward
    > > > exposure readings I was getting in the viewfinder of the camera, and
    > > > the behavior has returned twice since my original pickup. The owner
    > > > has assured me that the camera is likely repairable, and that it is
    > > > probably suffering from "intermitent failure". Is this intermitent
    > > > failure likely? I'm wondering about this, because I don't want to be
    > > > wasting my time if I should really be asking for a refund. Midwest
    > > > Camera Repair came with a high amount of recommendation.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks for any opinions.
    > > >

    > > Intermittent failures do happen in cameras and can be a bear to
    duplicate
    > > and or trouble shoot.
    > > Is Midwest offering to repair your camera under warrantee? If so I would
    > > give them another chance to repair
    > > the exposure system.

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Woops - double posts there.

    I took the camera back to the repair place again, and - I wasn't sure
    whether to laugh or cry - but the camera started working fine just
    after I parked the car and was about to head in. :)

    I hope that they are able to find the cause of the problem. The owner
    said it could be the result of temperature changes, or there may be a
    loose connection within the camera. Part of the reason why I bought
    into the Nikon system is because I was looking for a reliable camera.
    I certainly don't think that they'll expect me to baby the camera, and
    only use it in an air conditioned room. :)

    Question: Will they only be able to fix the camera once it begins
    acting up again? He seemed to lead me on to believe that they will
    have to wait until it fails again. Are there any common areas to
    check in the camera when it suffers from "intermitent failure"?

    Bogrod Guest

  5. #5

    Bogrod wrote:
    > Question: Will they only be able to fix the camera once it begins
    > acting up again? He seemed to lead me on to believe that they will
    > have to wait until it fails again. Are there any common areas to
    > check in the camera when it suffers from "intermitent failure"?
    It's common in electronic repair to use small heat guns and refrigerant
    spray to ferret out thermally-induced problems. That way the techs don't
    have to cross their fingers and wait for a failure -- they can create it on
    demand.

    Whether your repair shop does this is the next question.
    --
    John Miller

    If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit
    in my name at a Swiss Bank.
    -Woody Allen

    John Miller Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    Bogrod <com> wrote:

    I feel your pain. I used to work as a video repair technician, and
    intermittant failure is one of the worst kinds of failures. We
    actually had a customer bring in a projection tv(read: large, heavy,
    and *not* meant to be moved) for service. The tv spent almost a
    month on the bench operating for 40hrs/week without any problems.
    We gave it back to the customer, no charge. She had it home for less
    than a day before it went out. We had no choice but to start making
    house calls at that point. I'm not sure which was worse - moving the
    tv or hauling all of the tools and test equipment out to the customer's
    house.

    Anyway, if it truly is an intermittent failure, your best bet is
    probably to demonstrate it to the technician directly. Don't describe
    it to the guy in the front who then hands it off to the tech - if you
    don't talk to the tech. directly, s/he will probably not get an
    accurate description of the problem nor will they know how to reproduce
    the problem in testing.

    --drsmith
    drsmith Guest