Professional Web Applications Themes

Expert Village - Macromedia Flash Player

None of the video clips in Expert Village will play. I just get a black box....

  1. #1

    Default Expert Village

    None of the video clips in Expert Village will play. I just get a black box.
    Ironminer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Expert Village

    Hi Ironminer,

    Are you able to right click on the Flash content (video) and select Settings?

    If you can access the settings toggle the hardware scaling option in the
    Display Settings.

    For hardware-accelerated scaling to work, you need Microsoft® DirectX 9 with
    VRAM 128 MB on Windows® 2000 Service Pack 4 or higher; for Apple® Macintosh®,
    OS X v10.2 or higher. There might be compatibility issues with older hardware
    and drivers

    Important Note: These online forums are for user-to-user discussions of Adobe
    products, and are not an official customer support channel for Adobe. If you
    require direct assistance, or prefer to contact Adobe support staff directly,
    please contact Adobe support.

    Darren Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, I right clicked on the Flash content (blank) screen, and got the "Adobe
    Flash Player settings" box. I un-checked the "enable hardware acceleration"
    box. Nothing happens, even after rebooting the computer.
    I have Windows XP. How do I know if I have MS Direct X9 or not?
    And if I don't have it, how do I get it? I tried looking on the MS website and
    was confused as to which program to download.
    I am working from a computer on a college network. My computer at home on
    dial-up will play the Expert Village videos, but it takes forever for them to
    down-load.

    Ironminer Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Ironminer,

    Since you are working within a college network, you may need the administrator
    to help here.

    "How do I know if I have MS Direct X9 or not?"

    Select Start > Run

    Type in ?dxdiag?

    Under the System tab you can find the DirectX version

    In addition, please include your GRAPHIC CARD and DRIVER details. You can get
    this information here:

    Select Start > Run

    Type in ?dxdiag?

    Select Display

    Include the Device Name and the Driver date and version

    Important Note: These online forums are for user-to-user discussions of Adobe
    products, and are not an official customer support channel for Adobe. If you
    require direct assistance, or prefer to contact Adobe support staff directly,
    please contact Adobe support.

    http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

    Darren Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Darren,
    Thanks for following through with this. Here is the info you asked for:
    I have Direct X9.0 c (409000,9040)

    Display Name 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO

    Main Driver Ati 2dvag.dll
    date 6/7/2006 16:09:12

    Ironminer Guest

  6. #6

    "Display Name 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO

    Main Driver Ati 2dvag.dll
    date 6/7/2006 16:09:12 "

    How to update graphics card driver:

    If you have a laptop you should visit the laptop manufacturer's website (Dell,
    Toshiba, Sony, etc.) to get the most recent driver.

    If you are using a desktop computer you would need to visit the graphics card
    manufacturer's website to download the latest driver.

    For example:

    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

    If you update the driver, let us know if it helps

    Darren Guest

  7. #7

    In addition, be sure that your internet options are set correctly:

    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Choose Tools > Internet Options.
    3. Select Advanced
    4. Select Restore Defaults

    Darren Guest

  8. #8

    Okay, I did everything you suggested, as far as I know to the letter, and, I am
    very sorry to say, still nothing happens on Expert Village. Other applications
    of Flash Player work fine. Now what? I'm getting a little discouraged.

    Ironminer

    Ironminer Guest

  9. #9

    Oh yes, I did update the driver and restored the defaults. I have a desktop.

    Ironminer
    Ironminer Guest

  10. #10

    Is this issue specific to Expert Village?

    Are you able to view Flash video on other sites?

    For example:

    www.yuotube.com

    Try this:

    Open Internet Explorer.
    Choose Tools > Internet Options.
    Select the Security tab.
    Choose Internet.
    Click Custom Level.
    Ensure that Active Scripting is set to Prompt or enabled.

    If this doesn?t help, I would suggest you open a free support case with Adobe
    for Flash Player.

  11. #11

    Typo: http://www.youtube.com
    Darren Guest

  12. #12

    Eureka! I found the problem! But, admittedly, quite by accident. I installed
    Real Player on another computer that had been able to play the Expert Village
    Flash videos. And guess what, they wouldn't play anymore. I went back to my
    computer and uninstalled Real Player and the Expert Village would work on it
    too!!! So, that solves one problem, but I would really like to have Real Player
    too. Is that asking too much? I am guessing that the real problem (pun
    intended) has something to do with the feature which allows copying videos.
    Might this be a solution to many of the other problems on this list.

    Ironminer Guest

  13. #13

    [q]Originally posted by: Ironminer
    Eureka! I found the problem! But, admittedly, quite by accident. I installed
    Real Player on another computer that had been able to play the Expert Village
    Flash videos. And guess what, they wouldn't play anymore. I went back to my
    computer and uninstalled Real Player and the Expert Village would work on it
    too!!! So, that solves one problem, but I would really like to have Real Player
    too. Is that asking too much? I am guessing that the real problem (pun
    intended) has something to do with the feature which allows copying videos.
    Might this be a solution to many of the other problems on this list.[/q]

    Hi Ironminer,

    Thanks for providing this information. Try the following steps. This way you
    won?t have to uninstall Real Player:

    For Internet Explorer:

    1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu and highlight "Manage Add-ons"
    2. In the fly out menu, select "Enable or Disable Add-ons?"
    3. In the Add-ons window, select "RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for
    Internet Explorer"
    4. Select "Disable" in the settings area at the bottom of the window.
    5. You may need to close and re-open the browser for the change to take effect.

    Please let me know if this works for you.

    Darren Guest

  14. #14

    Hi Darren,
    It worked!!! Now I can "have my cake and eat it too." Thanks so much for all your help.

    Ironminer
    Ironminer Guest

  15. #15

    That's Great! I'm happy to hear it worked... thanks for your help in finding the conflict.
    Darren Guest

  16. #16

    Nice work Darren. And thanks for all your help too Ironminer! We'll get this off to engineering and see if we can develop a technote...
    BWolfe Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Darren,

    I?m having the same/similar problem but using Firefox. And so are some of
    these folks:

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=184&threadid=
    1330412&CFID=14504443&CFTOKEN=4e52329e013bd2be-97D04C8E-C5E6-50A0-4F2ED3C081CEB2
    C1&jsessionid=483068ce0410615a5e50

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=617400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&po
    stsperpage=15&start=0

    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6384201#6384201

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173889

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=18
    4&threadid=1325732&enterthread=y

    Almost all people mention: 2 seconds, no sound, works for some time after
    Flashplayer uninstalled and re-installed, seems to have started less than two
    month ago, most browsers/operating systems but not usually IE.

    I am not having a problem with IE (and don't have something on IE called
    exactly "RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer") or know
    how to deal with RealPlayer addon for FireFox. I do have RealPlayer but
    haven't installed it recently.

    Thanks.

    mike95060 Guest

  18. #18

    This problem started just the other day for me. I do NOT have real player
    installed (I use Real Alternative).

    Happens in Firefox-- apparently it's ok in IE, which would also dispel
    RealAlternative as a problem since I use Real Alternative for both IE and
    Firefox

    Video (youtube, other flash videos) and games will appear to load, status bar
    says "done." VIdeo loads, plays (without sound) for a 2 seconds, then seizes
    and will play no more. I can drag the scroll bar through the time of the video
    and see images from the rest of the video but it will not play. And there
    remains no sound. Games generally do not respond at all.

    Every tme I've paid attention, the timer stops at 2 seconds ( 00:02 ). Surely
    that's a clue for the developers.

    Closing an instance of Firefox and restarting it will allow me go play one
    youtube video once. Then it starts with this trick again.

    My setup: XP Pro (current with service packs), 2 Gb memory, nvidia geforce
    7300 GT (main driver nv4_disp.dll, ver 6.14.0010.9424), current firefox and
    current Flash versions (I've removed and reinstalled Flash several times but
    still get the same problem). DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904), I've used
    cccleaner to clean out flash content and the problem recurs.

    This just started happening a few days ago, To my knowledge I haven't changed
    Firefox or Flash or any windows components (possibly an update ran, though)
    during the time this began to go south.

    Hope this can be fixed quickly, it's rather infuriating.

    woostie Guest

  19. #19

    Here it is Feb. 19th and it seems this issue still exists for MANY people. Firefox issue is maddening. COME ON Adboe? What gives?

    PeaceNic Guest

  20. #20

    The same thing.
    WinXP Pro SP2, FF, drivers - all have latest updates. No reaplayers,
    realalternatives etc. None of the FF addons is the cause - i've tried to
    uninstall them all - and getting still the same. Tried with and w/o flash
    player hardware acceleration - no effect.
    "The same" is, as mentioned above - 2 secs of any video (or audio in case of
    embedded players), no sound, static images if moved to any position of video,
    sometimes being healed by reinstalling - but some minutes later breaks again.

    Estar Guest