Professional Web Applications Themes

Explain how iTunes music gets organized - Mac Applications & Software

After receiving my new G5 and external 200GB HD, I migrated my entire MP3 library from my PC to the external drive (a folder for AACs and another for MP3s within a master folder called MyMusic). Everything was organized by ARTIST (with individual album folders within each ARTIST folder followed by the songs within each album). After moving everything to the external HD and dragging that folder (MyMusic) into iTunes to add to my library, the folders are all whacked out. For example, instead of a single folder containing all of my Dave Matthews Band albums/songs, I now have two ...

  1. #1

    Default Explain how iTunes music gets organized

    After receiving my new G5 and external 200GB HD, I migrated my entire MP3
    library from my PC to the external drive (a folder for AACs and another for
    MP3s within a master folder called MyMusic). Everything was organized by
    ARTIST (with individual album folders within each ARTIST folder followed by
    the songs within each album). After moving everything to the external HD and
    dragging that folder (MyMusic) into iTunes to add to my library, the folders
    are all whacked out. For example, instead of a single folder containing all
    of my Dave Matthews Band albums/songs, I now have two folders - one titled
    as DAVE MATTHEWS and the other DAVE MATTHEWS BAND (and incomplete
    albums/songs within each).

    Does iTunes physically restructure the iTunes music folder based on the MP3
    tags of each file? Unfortunately, that's what appears is happening. Why
    can't it just leave the physical location as-is and just use pointer from
    iTunes to the physical location???

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Explain how iTunes music gets organized

    In article <eBlkb.110564$news.adelphia.net>,
    "Dan" <drstevens[NOSPAM]adelphia.net> wrote:

    It can. But you have to tell it to. There are two relevant prefs: One
    that tells it to copy everything into the library and one that tells it
    to impose its own organization on the library. Both on the Advanced page
    of the Preferences.
    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    A-ha! that's right. I remember hitting OK when prompted by iTunes to
    reorganize. Now I understand what that mean. Thanks!

    "Gregory Weston" <com> wrote in message
    news:attbi.com... [/ref]
    MP3 [/ref]
    from

    > It can. But you have to tell it to. There are two relevant prefs: One
    > that tells it to copy everything into the library and one that tells it
    > to impose its own organization on the library. Both on the Advanced page
    > of the Preferences.[/ref]

    Dan Guest

  4. #4

    In article <Nwmkb.110586$news.adelphia.net>,
    "Dan" <drstevens[NOSPAM]adelphia.net> wrote:

    > > It can. But you have to tell it to. There are two relevant prefs: One
    > > that tells it to copy everything into the library and one that tells it
    > > to impose its own organization on the library. Both on the Advanced page
    > > of the Preferences.[/ref]
    >
    > A-ha! that's right. I remember hitting OK when prompted by iTunes to
    > reorganize. Now I understand what that mean. Thanks![/ref]

    Note that "copy" in the first pref _does_ mean copy. Based on the way
    you described adding these tracks to iTunes I would be surprised if your
    original collection was left untouched and you've got two sets of files
    now.

    Gregory Guest