Professional Web Applications Themes

Exploring the doentation - Mac Programming

I'm working my way through Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa book, and where he starts using the NSTableView class he points out the cooperative relationship between a TableView and its DataSource. Now being an awkward cuss I like to try figuring things out for myself before reading the details in the book... (Coz in the future the book might not cover my requirements and I need to get in the habit of exploring for myself!) When I tried to use TableView on its own I got completely messed because I didn't know about dataSource... But I did see a reference to it ...

  1. #1

    Default Exploring the doentation

    I'm working my way through Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa book, and where
    he starts using the NSTableView class he points out the
    cooperative relationship between a TableView and its DataSource.

    Now being an awkward cuss I like to try figuring things out for
    myself before reading the details in the book... (Coz in the
    future the book might not cover my requirements and I need to get
    in the habit of exploring for myself!) When I tried to use
    TableView on its own I got completely messed because I didn't
    know about dataSource... But I did see a reference to it when I
    tried to create a connection between the class and my Doent in
    IB. I tried to look up the docs for TableView but the Help menu
    only gave me help on PB and IB. Surely there is a fast way to get
    doentation on the NextStep objects from within the tools?

    And not just reference info (lists of methods/attributes) but
    also info about the need to create a dataSource which must
    provide a specific interface. In other words if I hadn't had the
    book where would I have found out about the relationship between
    the two objects?

    I hope that's clear!

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    Alan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exploring the doentation

    In article <com>,
    Alan Gauld <com> wrote:

    To get to the reference for any class or method, find that class or
    method in your code (type it if it's not there already), then
    option-double-click it. You'll get the docs for the class or method. If
    you want the discussion, you can usually get to it under the
    "Programming Topics" section near the top of the class's reference. From
    there (if it exists for this particular class), you have goodies about
    how the class works and how to use it, plus links to the references for
    any related classes.

    Another nice feature that a lot of people seem to miss is that
    command-double-clicking nearly any symbol will take you to the header
    definition for that symbol. These two key combos make moving around the
    APIs very easy.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    In article <mail-680A76.17401307032004localhost>, Michael Ash
    <com> wrote:

    > To get to the reference for any class or method, find that class or
    > method in your code (type it if it's not there already), then
    > option-double-click it. You'll get the docs for the class or method. If
    > you want the discussion, you can usually get to it under the
    > "Programming Topics" section near the top of the class's reference. From
    > there (if it exists for this particular class), you have goodies about
    > how the class works and how to use it, plus links to the references for
    > any related classes.
    >
    > Another nice feature that a lot of people seem to miss is that
    > command-double-clicking nearly any symbol will take you to the header
    > definition for that symbol. These two key combos make moving around the
    > APIs very easy.[/ref]

    Going a step further, while I think both PB and xCode have pretty good
    resources for looking at the API, I keep a browser like Cocoa Browser
    going when I'm coding too, if for no other reason than that I like the
    interface. Granted you can't do an option-double click in your code
    but when working things like how the data source fits with a table
    view, I find it a lot faster than PB or xCode.

    Spence

    --
    James P. Spencer
    Rochester, MN

    "Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!"
    James Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:51:08 -0600, James Spencer
    <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Thanks Michael and James (the latter for the precomp answer too).
    One question, what exactly is the Cocoa Browser? Is this a tool
    I've missed or just a web browser on the Cocoa docs?

  5. #5

    Alan Gauld <com> wrote:

    [..]

    Sort of both. :-)

    <http://homepage2.nifty.com/hoshi-takanori/cocoa-browser/>

    Note also this most excellent Wiki: <http://www.cocoadev.com/>
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    It's a simple freeware browser HeaderDoc browser. You can get it at: