Professional Web Applications Themes

export only animation from Maya, RAM useage issues - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello everyone, I am involved in a project that will deliver an interactive software for teaching math and science to deaf children. We've motioncaptured all the signlanguage and are using the bonesplayer in director to blend between signs where appropriate. The executeable works excellently, except that it takes up about 750MB of ram!! Obviously this problem needs to be fixed before we can proceed with the project. To cut down on the ram useage, we need to reduce the filesize of all the W3d files that we're using. Is there a way to export from Maya only the animation and ...

  1. #1

    Default export only animation from Maya, RAM useage issues

    Hello everyone, I am involved in a project that will deliver an interactive software for teaching math and science to deaf children. We've motioncaptured all the signlanguage and are using the bonesplayer in director to blend between signs where appropriate.

    The executeable works excellently, except that it takes up about 750MB of ram!! Obviously this problem needs to be fixed before we can proceed with the project. To cut down on the ram useage, we need to reduce the filesize of all the W3d files that we're using.

    Is there a way to export from Maya only the animation and not the mesh data, like there is in 3d studio? Could BVH (motioncapture files) be imported into director?

    Does the shockwave 3D exporter bake keyframes into everyjoint at everyframe when it exports? Can this be avoided?

    knowing that the character is already as low-poly as it can be, that the motioncapture data has been reduced as much as it can be in Maya, and that we must blend between signs using the bonesplayer, How would you suggest we cut down the ram useage? Would liking to the W3D files be better than importing them? How do you link?

    Please list any and all sugestions!

    If you would like to view this project, please head to [url]www.tech.purdue.edu/cgt/I3[/url] for a sample demo. Beware: you must have much ram to run this stripped-down version. Any information you provide will help this project be a success. Please help!! Thanks so much!

    -John Doublestein
    Researcher, Purdue University

    jdoubles webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    I can't answer your question but I may have an interesting "Software Sign
    Language"-link for you:

    [url]http://www.vsign.nl/[/url]

    This was also a Director project, done by some colleagues of mine.

    Greets,

    Richard

    [url]http://www.audiogames.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.soundsupport.net[/url]

    "jdoubles" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hello everyone, I am involved in a project that will deliver an
    interactive software for teaching math and science to deaf children. We've
    motioncaptured all the signlanguage and are using the bonesplayer in
    director to blend between signs where appropriate.

    > The executeable works excellently, except that it takes up about 750MB of
    ram!! Obviously this problem needs to be fixed before we can proceed with
    the project. To cut down on the ram useage, we need to reduce the filesize
    of all the W3d files that we're using.

    > Is there a way to export from Maya only the animation and not the mesh
    data, like there is in 3d studio? Could BVH (motioncapture files) be
    imported into director?

    > Does the shockwave 3D exporter bake keyframes into everyjoint at
    everyframe when it exports? Can this be avoided?

    > knowing that the character is already as low-poly as it can be, that the
    motioncapture data has been reduced as much as it can be in Maya, and that
    we must blend between signs using the bonesplayer, How would you suggest we
    cut down the ram useage? Would liking to the W3D files be better than
    importing them? How do you link?

    > Please list any and all sugestions!
    >
    > If you would like to view this project, please head to
    [url]www.tech.purdue.edu/cgt/I3[/url] for a sample demo. Beware: you must have much
    ram to run this stripped-down version. Any information you provide will
    help this project be a success. Please help!! Thanks so much!

    > -John Doublestein
    > Researcher, Purdue University

    Richard Guest