Professional Web Applications Themes

Export to FH9 creates low resolution file - Macromedia Freehand

We are on FreeHand MX in Mac OSX.3 and our printer is still in OS 9 with FreeHand 9. I have never had a problem exporting to previous versions of FH before now so was quite dismayed when our printer brought 10,000 copies of low, low resolution crud to us. I had exported a FH MX multi-page file to FH9 and they printed it without pre-press proofing. It's a file we had printed before when we were both in OS 9 with FH9, with just a few copy changes, so no one was worried about this file. Poor pre-press service ...

  1. #1

    Default Export to FH9 creates low resolution file

    We are on FreeHand MX in Mac OSX.3 and our printer is still in OS 9 with
    FreeHand 9. I have never had a problem exporting to previous versions of FH
    before now so was quite dismayed when our printer brought 10,000 copies of low,
    low resolution crud to us. I had exported a FH MX multi-page file to FH9 and
    they printed it without pre-press proofing. It's a file we had printed before
    when we were both in OS 9 with FH9, with just a few copy changes, so no one was
    worried about this file.

    Poor pre-press service aside, what happened? I opened the file I sent
    them---in both FH9 (in Classic) and FH MX (in OS X)---and all the text is
    bitmapped and the photos look horrible. You can see rosettes from 10 feet away.
    Is this something I could have prevented or have I found my second FH bug?
    (first one was doented last week)

    Here's a link to a 228K jpeg that shows the difference in the first printed
    file and the new one. We changed the basic color from brown to blue, but both
    samples were scanned side by side at 400 ppi (so it could be n up if anyone
    wants to). It's plain to see even at small size on the screen the difference in
    the printing.

    [url]http://www.gesa.com/freehand/pixelated.jpg[/url]

    Help!

    Jennifer

    gesamark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Export to FH9 creates low resolution file

    gesamark wrote:
    > Poor pre-press service aside, what happened? I opened the file I sent
    > them---in both FH9 (in Classic) and FH MX (in OS X)---and all the text is
    > bitmapped and the photos look horrible. You can see rosettes from 10 feet away.
    You can see rosettes (an effect created by the halftone dots only at
    print time) in Freehand vector art on-screen? Blimey. Besides scanning a
    previously printed piece without descreening, and importing that into
    Freehand, I can't how this would be possible. As far as I can tell, your
    printer, for whatever reasons, has chosen to print using a lower line
    screen frequency than the one used the first time round. The
    mis-register of the magenta plate hasn't helped either.

    This has nothing to do with resolution or 'pixelation', and even less to
    do with Freehand.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Whitehead Guest

  3. #3

    gesamark wrote:
    > Poor pre-press service aside, what happened?
    As Danny said, a co halftone screen was selected at time of printing.
    This is not your fault. The printer should have set the correct halftone
    setting for the RIP and PPD being used at print time.
    > I opened the file I sent them---in both FH9 (in Classic) and FH MX (in OS
    > X)---and all the text is bitmapped and the photos look horrible.
    Are you saying that the file you sent them has been rasterized? Exporting to
    FH 9 format will not do this unless you have added FHMX Raster Effects to
    the objects in the FHMX file. In that case the resolution of the exported
    raster images is controlled by the FHMX Doent Settings > Raster Effects
    Setting. You wouldn't want to use RGB Raster Effects on a CMYK project in
    any case.

    Did you export to a raster format by mistake? If, from the original file,
    you export to FH9 again do you see the same results? I tried FH9 exports on
    a couple of files here, and unless I add Raster Effects such as gradient
    masks or drop shadows, there is _no difference_ in the FH9 exported file.
    > You can see rosettes from 10 feet away.
    What!? Are you saying you can see rosettes on the computer monitor when you
    open the FH9 file? I see no way for that to be possible, unless, as Danny
    said, you scanned printed material.
    > Is this something I could have prevented or have I found my second FH bug?
    It's far more likely that your printer owes you a new print job.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks to both for taking the time to look at this.

    I can see the rosettes from the printed job, not on screen. The jpg I made was
    scanned from the printed jobs, previous hi-res and the current low-res job.

    I did not use any raster effects in FHMX. There are no options in Export to
    FH9 that I can see which would cause any problems and I have exported to
    previous versions before without problems. The only difference here is going
    from MX to FH9 (used to export FH9 to FH8). So another difference is going from
    OSX to OS9, I guess. Also, I always change text to paths before I convert.
    NEVER had a problem before and FH has been my workhorse for many years.

    I opened the exported doent in both FHMX on OSX and in FH9 in Classic Mode
    and took screen shots of the same text up close. I have made a web page of both
    of those shots to show what I am seeing on screen. Vector art is treated the
    same way in the job (looks equally bad on screen). Looking at the photos in
    photoshop -- they look fine. The reason they look bad in the final job is
    either due to the printer's error, or some error in FH which is causing the
    same error in the vector objects.

    I am trying to figure out if there is some bug here with the conversion given
    my cirstances, or we can tell the printer they goofed. We've had a 20 year
    relationship with this printer and don't want to point fingers if the cause was
    software-based.

    We are strongly encouraging our printer to get a G5 with current software!!!!!

    The rudimentary page I created is: [url]http://www.gesa.com/freehand/fh-error.html[/url]

    Jennifer

    gesamark Guest

  5. #5

    gesamark wrote:
    > I opened the exported doent in both FHMX on OSX and in FH9 in Classic Mode
    > and took screen shots of the same text up close. I have made a web page of
    > both of those shots to show what I am seeing on screen. Vector art is treated
    > the same way in the job (looks equally bad on screen).
    Your two FH doent screen shots look normal. The difference is a result
    on-screen anti-aliasing and has nothing to do with print. It would be better
    to look at the files in keyline view and see if all the vectors are present.

    The only other error that you should look for is to open Window > Halftones,
    select objects and see if you have applied a custom Halftone setting that
    is very co. If that were so, and you have instructed the printer to
    always let your Custom Halftone settings override doent halftone settings
    (Print > FHMX > Advanced), then the co halftone would be your error. See
    this technote:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/tn3619.html[/url]
    > Looking at the photos in photoshop -- they look fine. The reason they look bad
    > in the final job is either due to the printer's error, or some error in FH
    > which is causing the same error in the vector objects.
    FHMX has a number of Redraw settings in the Preferences. Lo-res redraw will
    speed redraw of large photos. Placed TIFFs will look pixelated on screen but
    output perfectly to Postscript devices.

    You are using terms like 'lo-res' and 'bitmapped' to describe the print job.
    Those terms normally refer to raster images. What I believe you are seeing
    in the printed job is the result of a too-co halftone screen setting.
    Your printer should be checking and setting halftone screens appropriate to
    his own press before printing.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Judy. You have answered all my questions. I investigated using all your
    tests and have satisfied myself that it is indeed a printer error, with their
    RIP or something. I applied no special Halftone screening. Your comment about
    the difference in the screen draw jogged my mind to think that I don't have ATM
    Deluxe in Classic like I had in OS9, so I'm not used to seeing text on screen
    without anti-aliasing. That's where the low resolution comes in. You were
    correct there as well. All the vector data is present in key-line and using the
    selection "Flash Anti-alias" for a screen draw, it "magically" cleans up
    nicely. No more jaggies.

    I'm back to loving FreeHand full-time. No more doubts. ;-)

    gesamark Guest