Professional Web Applications Themes

Export to Photoshop question - Macromedia Freehand

Team, I have tried to export an image as a Photoshop file, but when I open it in PS 7, it is opaque, and I can't seem to find a way have no opacity. Any ideas? I am seeking to retain layers if I can. Thanks in advance Andrew...

  1. #1

    Default Export to Photoshop question

    Team,

    I have tried to export an image as a Photoshop file, but when I open it
    in PS 7, it is opaque, and I can't seem to find a way have no opacity.
    Any ideas? I am seeking to retain layers if I can.

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew
    Dinsdale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Export to Photoshop question

    Andrew,
    Try Export > Photoshop 5 > Setup > 'Include layers' checked.

    Judy Arndt

    Dinsdale wrote:
    > I have tried to export an image as a Photoshop file, but when I open it
    > in PS 7, it is opaque, and I can't seem to find a way have no opacity.
    > Any ideas? I am seeking to retain layers if I can.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Judy,

    Done that and it works. The problem is the opague image. Is this a
    problem related to the export of layers? I don't thinks so as I have
    tried an export before without the layers and its still opaque. Any
    ideas how I can get a full colour image?

    Andrew

  4. #4

    Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want to do. Do you want to preserve
    transparent FHMX effects such as drop shadows, glows and transparency
    lenses? They cannot be exported to Photoshop preserving the FHMX
    transparency. These are proprietary features that FHMX rasterizes to opaque
    pixels upon export.

    You can export a single-layer bitmap image that include an alpha channel.
    See the 'Using FreeHand MX' help files under the the topic 'Working with
    alpha channels'.

    Photoshop is vastly more powerful in handling transparency. If you need to
    move images back and forth between Photoshop and FreeHand, my advice would
    be to build your transparencies in Photoshop using layer opacity, layer
    masks and layer styles (depending on PS version). In Photoshop save the
    layered .psd doent and then 'Save As' a flattened TIFF and place the TIFF
    in the FHMX doent.

    Judy Arndt

  5. #5

    Judy,

    Thanks for your patience. The image(s) I am exporting consist of a
    photographic image and some text converted to paths. Not drop shadows or
    other transparent FHMX effects. I wouldn't need to do the export but I
    am trying to add some images as an overlay to the FHMX image, and I'm
    using a PS7 native file which creates a light shadow around the overlaid
    image, so I'm having to export the master image and overlay in PS7. BTW,
    can't use a transparent EPS image to do the overlay in FHMX as some of
    the final output is in PDF format and of course FHMX is messed up and
    won't display EPS in PDF. Grrr.

    So, the upshot is, I can't export to PS7 until I can sort out this
    problem with the images in all the layers appearing opaque (about 50%
    byt te look of it).

    Andrew

  6. #6

    Do you know how to create clipping paths in FreeHand?

    Do you know how to create layer masks in Photoshop?

    Judy Arndt

    Dinsdale wrote:
    > So, the upshot is, I can't export to PS7 until I can sort out this
    > problem with the images in all the layers appearing opaque (about 50%
    > byt te look of it).
    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Judy,

    Not really for either, but I had a brainwave and tried exporting the
    finalised image as a tiff, and the problem that originally caused my
    headache has been overcome. As for the PS7 opaque image problem, I don't
    thnk either of these techniques will solve the problem.

    Thanks muchly

    Andrew

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Do you know how to create clipping paths in FreeHand?
    >
    > Do you know how to create layer masks in Photoshop?
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >

    > Dinsdale wrote:
    >

    >>So, the upshot is, I can't export to PS7 until I can sort out this
    >>problem with the images in all the layers appearing opaque (about 50%
    >>byt te look of it).

    Dinsdale Guest

  8. #8

    Are you saying that the layers come into Photoshop at 50% opacity? Or
    that they cover about have the doent?

    Wes Rand Guest

  9. #9

    Wes,

    All the layers come in at what appears to be 50% opacity. I can see the
    squares pattern behind and through the image.

    Andrew

  10. #10

    Now that is odd. I'm noticing the same thing here at home. I'll have to
    experiment at work to see if the same thing happens. I've done this sort
    of thing before without noticing the reduced opacity in Photoshop
    layers. Wonder if it is a particular combination of things.

    I'm working with OS X 10.3.4, Freehand MX (I don't remember if I applied
    the updates to this Freehand. Might just be the first update. I'll check
    later if important.) And Photoshop 7. Any of that like your setup?

  11. #11

    Okay, tried the same thing at work and it worked as I would have expected it:
    layers came into Photoshop pretty much as the look in Freehand instead of
    looking like they are set at 50% opacity. Not much difference between setups:
    both running Mac OS X 10.3.4. Macromedia MX 11.02 at work 11.01 at home (I
    think.) Photoshop 7 at home, Photoshop CS at work. Anyone have an idea on the
    cause and solution?

    Wes Rand Guest

  12. #12

    Wes,

    My setup is 10.3.4, FH MX 11.0.2, and PS7.

    Andrew