Professional Web Applications Themes

Export wireframe from Illustrator? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi there - I have a compmlex vector illustration that looks really cool in wireframe - anyway to export the wireframe to Flash, or even back to Illustrator? It's not just a matter of removing the fill and making a visible stroke - I'm using gradient meshes which don't show up except in wireframe mode. Thanks! G...

  1. #1

    Default Export wireframe from Illustrator?

    Gabe_Silverman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Export wireframe from Illustrator?

    Gabe,

    I'm not sure what you mean by "wireframe" but if you mean "outline" mode (Control Y toggle), but you can't view any fill, including a gradient in Outline mode. The only way to do what you are talking about would be to stroke your object paths only, no fill of any kind. But, of course if you wish to add a fill (Preview mode, Control Y toggle), you can then use a gradient fill only in those objects you wish to have them. Preview and Outline modes are strictly for viewing onscreen, of course, as whatever you do to the paths (weight stroke, fill) will be printed even if you view Outline mode.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Bob, I ended up doing a screenshot of the wireframe (outlines) and bringing it into Photoshop to achieve the effect I was after.

    Thanks for your help!

    Gabe_Silverman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Maybe he was trying to do something like this...

    <http://www.illustratorworld.com/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=5456>
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Aha, 256 GIF will give you that same "color by numbers" look to photo images. In vector, that's also what StreamLine would do if edges are distinct and established.

  6. #6

    Gabe:

    It may be worth trying to draw a grid (stroke only) with the same number of ribs as the gradient mesh, send to back, and selecting that as well as one of the gradient meshes, then punching up ctrl-alt-C (Make envelope with top object. This should render a gradient mesh wireframe looking object.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  7. #7

    Do you mean re-draw the gradient mesh lines with the pen tool, then do a envelope with top object?

    Gabe_Silverman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Gabe:

    No, you can use the existing gradient mesh as the top object, and all you need to do is draw a grid with the correct number of ribs...

    See the following:

    1. This is your gradient mesh;
    2. Select the mesh, count the number of ribs;
    3. Draw a grid with the same number of ribs;
    4. Send this grid to the back, and select both the mesh and the grid, then "Make With Top Object", and set the envelope settings like in the screen shot at right.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  9. #9

    Wow, thanks for the help, I'll give that a shot!!

    Gabe_Silverman@adobeforums.com Guest