Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting Baked model from 3D Max - Macromedia Director 3D

I'm working with 3DS Max 7 and am trying to simulate photometric lighting in a static scene in Director 3D (MX 2004) by using the "render to texture" feature in Max and exporting the unwrapped, baked model. When I bring the model into director, it shows up grey and completely devoid of all textures. What is the proper way to bake a model and import it into Director?...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting Baked model from 3D Max

    I'm working with 3DS Max 7 and am trying to simulate photometric lighting in a
    static scene in Director 3D (MX 2004) by using the "render to texture" feature
    in Max and exporting the unwrapped, baked model. When I bring the model into
    director, it shows up grey and completely devoid of all textures. What is the
    proper way to bake a model and import it into Director?

    XariusCain Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exporting Baked model from 3D Max

    The purpose of baking textures is to flatten rendering effects. Use 'Render to texture' in 3DS Max then assign the textures to your shaders then to your mesh.

    Newt99 Guest

  3. #3

    I belive the problem is that when max unwrapps the model, it applies a shell material instead of a stadard type. I'm not sure director knows how to handle such materials.
    XariusCain Guest

  4. #4

    The Shockwave 3D exporter creates nothing in a W3D that Director cannot
    handle. If there is a problem, it is at export time.

    Something might be wrong in your material hierarchy. Check your materials,
    materials' type and their ID.

    Best regards,
    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  5. #5

    Time for a step-by-step.
    I started with a sphere above a box and set up a very simple photometric light:

    [url]http://mheiniger.com/stuff/help/5.jpg[/url].
    XariusCain Guest

  6. #6

    I've managed to get director to recognize the textures by telling the Render To
    Texture to only output the baked material instead of the whole shell material.
    Step one complete.

    Now, however, I need to find a way to get the materials to line up properly,
    since director doesn't seem to recognize the Automatic Flatten UV's modifier. I
    can select an individual poly and apply a bitmap and it turns out fine. Once I
    put on a material with auto flattened UVs, it comes up grey.

    XariusCain Guest

  7. #7

    Eurika! It works!

    For some reason, Director won't recognize the auto-flatten UVs modifier, but
    it does recognize the Unwrap UVW modifier. What I ended up doing was applying
    the Unwrap modifier to the objects before baking, and setting the Render to
    Texture dialogue to use existing UVW coordinates.

    XariusCain Guest