Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting eps /ai files to Illustrator - Macromedia Freehand

Why can't Macromedia and Adobe just get on? Or at least get their applications talking to each other!! When I try and export a FH11 file as an .eps or .ai file it turns the whole thing to crap! Illustrator just doesn't like anything that Freehand makes! Can it be so hard?? I don't like using Illustrator and find it a difficult program (like most Adobe apps!) and would much rather use Freehand. But I need to make eps files for a printer who uses Illustrator. Whats the story on this? Cheers Martin...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting eps /ai files to Illustrator

    Why can't Macromedia and Adobe just get on? Or at least get their
    applications talking to each other!!

    When I try and export a FH11 file as an .eps or .ai file it turns the whole
    thing to crap! Illustrator just doesn't like anything that Freehand makes!
    Can it be so hard?? I don't like using Illustrator and find it a difficult
    program (like most Adobe apps!) and would much rather use Freehand. But I
    need to make eps files for a printer who uses Illustrator.

    Whats the story on this?

    Cheers
    Martin

    Martin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exporting eps /ai files to Illustrator

    IMHO it is because Adobe thinks, and rightly so, that by sharing
    it's formats with a competitor such as Freenand it will lose
    market share to a superior product. Adobe has not shared it file
    format with Macromedia since version 8. I am sure Freehand would
    provide export to later versions if they could.

    dp

    Martin wrote:
    > Why can't Macromedia and Adobe just get on? Or at least get their
    > applications talking to each other!!
    >
    > When I try and export a FH11 file as an .eps or .ai file it turns the whole
    > thing to crap! Illustrator just doesn't like anything that Freehand makes!
    > Can it be so hard?? I don't like using Illustrator and find it a difficult
    > program (like most Adobe apps!) and would much rather use Freehand. But I
    > need to make eps files for a printer who uses Illustrator.
    >
    > Whats the story on this?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Martin

    D. Plank Guest

  3. #3

    You could try making a PDF and opening the pdf in Illy. Your file may not
    get as mangled that way.

    mg

    "Martin" <mpfinneganbigpond.com> wrote in message
    > Why can't Macromedia and Adobe just get on? Or at least get their
    > applications talking to each other!!
    >
    > When I try and export a FH11 file as an .eps or .ai file it turns the
    whole
    > thing to crap! Illustrator just doesn't like anything that Freehand makes!
    > Can it be so hard?? I don't like using Illustrator and find it a difficult
    > program (like most Adobe apps!) and would much rather use Freehand. But I
    > need to make eps files for a printer who uses Illustrator.
    >
    > Whats the story on this?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Martin

    Martin Gamache Guest

  4. #4

    Martin,

    What you want can be done, but it could be made easier if the two companies
    would just get along.

    1) Open the FHMXa file and export it as a FH 9 file.
    2) Open AI (CS or 10) and open a new blank file.
    3) Place the FH 9 file into the AI file.
    4) Ungroup the placed file and the individual elements will then be
    editable.

    in article cev4ch$d6c$1forums.macromedia.com, Martin at
    [email]mpfinneganbigpond.com[/email] wrote on 8/6/04 12:19 AM:
    > Why can't Macromedia and Adobe just get on? Or at least get their
    > applications talking to each other!!
    >
    > When I try and export a FH11 file as an .eps or .ai file it turns the whole
    > thing to crap! Illustrator just doesn't like anything that Freehand makes!
    > Can it be so hard?? I don't like using Illustrator and find it a difficult
    > program (like most Adobe apps!) and would much rather use Freehand. But I
    > need to make eps files for a printer who uses Illustrator.
    >
    > Whats the story on this?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Martin
    Bruce Kieffer Guest