Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting files - EPS and PDF - Macromedia Freehand

Hi I have a basic 2 page freehand mx file that has business cards on it and it is 688kb. When i export it to eps it creates two files, one is 2.4mb the other is 1mb - why is this??! how do the eps files increase in size? Something similar also happens when i export files to PDF from freehand. even if i set it to maximum compression it hardly compresses the file at all. THis is a new version of freehand, do i need some settings? what am i missing? any help would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Exporting files - EPS and PDF

    Hi

    I have a basic 2 page freehand mx file that has business cards on it and it is
    688kb. When i export it to eps it creates two files, one is 2.4mb the other is
    1mb - why is this??! how do the eps files increase in size?

    Something similar also happens when i export files to PDF from freehand. even
    if i set it to maximum compression it hardly compresses the file at all.

    THis is a new version of freehand, do i need some settings? what am i missing?

    any help would be appreciated.

    misscatie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exporting files - EPS and PDF

    If you have any imported images that are linked and not embedded they
    are not included in the total FH file size. (Linking is not a bad
    thing, it is the default option and most people I believe prefer it.) I
    would imagine the same may be true if you are using any Raster Effects,
    FH may not create the final full resolution image until it is
    printed/exported.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  3. #3

    Rich, thanks for your response. However I'm still confused, the business card
    file is so simple, it has no images and no rasterized effects. they are
    basically text on one side and block colour on the other. this is why is it is
    so weird?
    any other ideas? anybody?!

    misscatie Guest

  4. #4

    If I had MX I'd look at it for you but I'm staying at FH9 until
    something better comes along. You can export it out to FH9 if you want
    and email it to me. That may even reveal some MX oddities it is
    applying and causing the larger size. To email me remove the "nospam-"
    from the listed address.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  5. #5

    misscatie wrote:

    For files that size there must be something going on beyond plain text
    and blocks of solid color. An EPS will usually be much larger in size
    than the Freehand file but I don't think I've ever seen one that large
    that didn't have a placed bitmap. Have you used any lenses? Overlapping
    lenses can build up the size of an EPS quickly.
    Wes Guest

  6. #6

    Hi, I am using FreeHand MX. I am also facing similar problems. I have made a
    booklet design in FH. Size FH file is 2.5 about MB , But whenever I try to
    export it to JPEG or TIF with 300 dpi, sometimes It desiplays an error "Not
    enough memory to complete the operation" and some times it convert the file but
    the size of resultant file goes to more than 400 MB and it takes about 15-25
    minutes. And after convertion I only see a Blank Black image ( There is
    nothing) : (
    I am really wery confused by this problem. Is there any solution to this ?

    Thanks in Advance.

    letmemx Guest

  8. #8

    Why are you exporting an entire booklet to TIFF or JPEG? One of the
    reasons to build in FH is to have the advantage of the vector and
    PostScript information for output when printing. By going to a
    bitmap/raster format you are losing a lot of information and
    flexibility. If you are having this printed at a professional printer
    they would much rather have it in a vector/PostScript format, such as EPS.

    Rich

    letmemx wrote:
    Rich Guest