Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting Illustrator Graphics to PowerPoint - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have been delegated by my boss to find out if there is a way, using Illustrator 10 on Windows 2000, to export Illustrator graphics to a PowerPoint slide so that they are editable from within PowerPoint. When we had Illy 8, we could export to PowerPoint and ungroup and edit the graphic. In Illy 10, when we export to PP, the graphic comes in as an object and cannot be ungrouped or edited, unless we want to double-click and edit in Illy 10. Someone in our company wants to be able to edit the graphics in PowerPoint and make ...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting Illustrator Graphics to PowerPoint

    I have been delegated by my boss to find out if there is a way, using Illustrator 10 on Windows 2000, to export Illustrator graphics to a PowerPoint slide so that they are editable from within PowerPoint.

    When we had Illy 8, we could export to PowerPoint and ungroup and edit the graphic. In Illy 10, when we export to PP, the graphic comes in as an object and cannot be ungrouped or edited, unless we want to double-click and edit in Illy 10.

    Someone in our company wants to be able to edit the graphics in PowerPoint and make them available to others for editing in PP--they don't have Illustrator.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks for any help you can give me.

    Sharon
    Sharon_Carthy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You can try WMF. Powerpoint won't draw the graphics nearly as well as Illustrator.

    I prefer to export as PNG. I use 24 bit files, which allows for antialiased transparency, and even drop shadows. I keep the original Illustrator files for editing.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I tried WMF--didn't work. I don't see a PNG listing in the "save as type" box in the Export dialog box.

    We are going to be upgrading to CS soon--do you think we could save down to Ill. 8 from that and export to PP and have the graphics be editable?

    Thanks,

  4. #4

    Try Save for Web. Illustrator 11 has a command in theFile menu to "save for Microsoft Office" that esentially saves as PNG. I think I remember using it in version 10, although after discovering all the goodies in Save For Web I preferred than method.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Scoot:

    It needs to be editable in Powerpoint. Can you save for web and create an editable file for use in PP?

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  6. #6

    It needs to be editable in Powerpoint. Can you save for web and create
    an editable file for use in PP?

    No, Bert you can't. RTFM, buddy.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It needs to be editable in Powerpoint. Can you save for web and create
    an editable file for use in PP?

    No, Bert you can't. RTFM, buddy.

    I didn't explicitly say the PNG was editible, but I meant to imply it by saying "I keep the original Illustrator files for editing."
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    No, YOU read the RTFM, you Kristina you!
    Bert Guest

  9. #9

    LOL! Ok, you guys are entertaining, at least! So far, when I try whatever you've both suggested, same problem: can't ungroup and edit in PP. Did a Save for Web, did the export thing, did the paste-special thing, nothing gives me a graphic I can ungroup and edit. If I convert it to an MS Office object, nothing shows up on the screen.

    My original opinion, when I started this, was that it couldn't be done, but I have to exhaust all possibilities, short of waiting for an hour on the Adobe support hotline!

    Hey, at least I've gotten a laugh out of this!

  10. #10

    Sharon:

    To what extent do you need to make it editable? If it's just to move elements around, can you save the individual objects separately and bring them into PP separately? You could use Scoot's SfW method for the loose elements, then.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  11. #11

    It's like this: our department does posters for medical meetings like ATS, DDW, etc. One of the researchers who's author of some of the posters wants to take graphic elements from them and put them into PP slides, most notably graphs which have been created in Illy. These graphs have text in them, too. He wants to be able to change the colors and stroke weights,move elements of the graph around, move the text around, etc. and allow whoever he sends them to to have the same capability.

    We're not a graphics shop, just a department in a pharmaceutical co. The woman who actually does the graphics asked me to check this out because she doesn't really have the time to do it herself. I think we're just going to have to keep a copy of Illy 8 around to provide what the poster author wants.

    People in Hell want ice water, too!
    Sharon_Carthy@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Bort,

    That's a pretty complicated workaround. To export each item as a PNG and recompile in PowerPoint should like way more work than working between the programs. Plus, the editibility would be quite limited. Izzat what you are suggesting?

    I just did a test. I exported a simple drawing as WFM. I added that WMF to PowerPoint with Insert > Picture > From File. I selected Ungroup from the menu in the Draw toolbar and was presented with this dialogue:

    I clicked Yes ad was able to edit the graphic.

    I am using Windows 200, PowerPoint 200, and Illustrator 11 (AKA Illustrator CS).
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I am using Windows 200, PowerPoint 200

    Dude, you need to seriously upgrade.
    Bert Guest

  14. #14

    Dude, you need to seriously give me a minute to edit my posts.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Would you?
    Bert Guest

  16. #16

    Look up. I did.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    No, I mean would you give me a minute to edit my posts?
    Bert Guest

  18. #18

    Just one, bub.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Scott: Your suggestion to export the .ai file as a WMF and then use the Insert menu in PowerPoint did the trick! I hadn't thought to use the Insert menu because I don't use PP that much, and the lady who does didn't think to export the Illy file as a WMF.

    Problem solved and thank you all so much for your help!

    Regards,
    Sharon Carthy
    Sharon_Carthy@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20