Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting Metadata (caption information) fromJPEGS to a comma separated value (CSV) file - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Here is my dilemma. I am an archivist at an arts organization and we are in the process of digitizing many of our materials to post them on the web and make them available to internet users. One of the principle components of our collection is a large trove of photographs. We have been in the process of digitizing these images and embedding metadata (in the Caption/Description, Author/Photographer and Copyright fields) via PhotoShop’s File Info command. Now I am at a crossroads. We need to extract this metadata and transfer it into a comma separated value form, like an Excel ...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting Metadata (caption information) fromJPEGS to a comma separated value (CSV) file

    Here is my dilemma. I am an archivist at an arts organization and we are in the process of digitizing many of our materials to post them on the web and make them available to internet users. One of the principle components of our collection is a large trove of photographs. We have been in the process of digitizing these images and embedding metadata (in the Caption/Description, Author/Photographer and Copyright fields) via PhotoShop’s File Info command.

    Now I am at a crossroads. We need to extract this metadata and transfer it into a comma separated value form, like an Excel spreadsheet or a FileMakerPro database. I have been told that it is not possible to do this through PhotoShop, that I must run a script through Acrobat or Bridge. I have no clue how to do this. I have been directed to a couple of links.

    First I was directed to this (now dead) link: <http://www.barredrocksoftware.com/products.html>
    The BportMetadata script allegedly “exports the metadata from files selected in Adobe's Bridge into a comma separated value (CSV) file suitable for import into Excel, Access and most database programs. It installs as a Bridge menu item making it simple to use. The the Export Metadata script provides you with an easy to use wizard allowing you to select associated information about a set of images that you can then export. This script requires Creative Suite 2 (CS2).” This script sounds like it does exactly what I want to do, but unfortunately, it no longer exists.

    Then I found this:

    Arnold Dubin, "Script to Export and Import Keywords and Metadata" #13, 8 Aug 2005 7:23 am </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbb9835/12>

    I tried this procedure, but nothing seemed to happen. I also tried to copy the script into the JAVASCRIPT action option in Acrobat, but I received a message that the script had an error. It also seems to me that this script does not set up a dumping point, that is, a file into which this information will be exported to.

    I am a novice, not a code writer or a programmer/developer. I need a step-by-step explanation of how to implement this filtering of information. We have about 2000 jpeg and tiff files, so I would rather not go through each file and copy and paste this information elsewhere. I need to find out how to create a batch process that will do this procedure for me. Can anyone help?
    Jennifer_Preissel@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Jennifer, I see no reason why a text file can not be composed by running an Applescript with Photoshop what platform are you on?
    Mark_Larsen@adobeforums.com Guest