Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting to HPGL/PLT format - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is it possible to export Illustrator to HPGL/PLT format without going through coreldraw?...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting to HPGL/PLT format

    Is it possible to export Illustrator to HPGL/PLT format without going through coreldraw?
    Kerri_DeZutter@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exporting to HPGL/PLT format

    Kerri,

    CorelDraw has been the plotting program for some time. Illustrator doesn't print to HPGL without some type of conversion program.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Kerri,

    Create a virtual Hewlett Packard DesignJet printer in windows and use 'file' as the printer port.

    You can use any HP Design Jet plotter available in the default windows selection as long as the model number is no lower than an HP DesignJet 755C. (Lower number DesignJets won't print (save) vector files containing raster images.). My recommendations are either a DesignJet 3000 or 5000 since they will allow the widest paper sizes.

    Be very sure that you do not select the PostScript model of the plotter as the saved file will be in PostScript (PS) rather than Hewlett Packard Graphics Language (HPGLx). Depending on the opsystem and/or model selection the output file will have an ending of either .PLT or .HPG but either ending is indicative of HPGL.

    Also, be certain that the plotter is a DesignJet and NOT a DeskJet model, the numbering is similar. If you use a DeskJet the output will be in PCL language.

    In Illustrator simply select the DesignJet as your output device and set the output parameters as desired indicate where the generated file is to be stored when asked.

    I suggest trying the procedure with a simple file consisting of a circle, a line segment and a line of text to generate a test file. Once this file is saved open it with a text editor such as notepad or Word and make sure that the header indicates that the file is in HPGL and not PostScript.

    Good luck!

    Joe
    Joe_Springfield@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I just save as Illustrator 8.0 and import.... I use the Laser cut (Tech Innovation)
    Hermes Guest

  5. #5

    Cool Exporting to HPGL/PLT format

    I just save as Illustrator 8.0 and import.... I use the Laser cut (Tech Innovation)

    No, this does not work. To answer the question: Illustrator cannot and will never save as PLT, because PLT is a Hewlett Packard invention. Hewlett Packard and Adobe are not friends. Hewlett Packard also generally prides itself on software and hardware that s donkey balls. Adobe will never bow down to PLT. Never. You will need to use a separate program to import a legacy version of the AI file. Some programs like FlexiSign can import AI files and will then be able to export it. You can run into trouble with this though. There will never be a vector standard that works in artwork files and CAD files alike. That's not how capitalism works.
    Unregistered Guest