Professional Web Applications Themes

Exporting to PDF, letter "l" is replaced by "" - Macromedia Freehand

Hi All, Has anyone else sen this? When I try to export a file as a PDF doent the letter "l" is replaced by the character "". All font/text content is converted to paths prior to export (as you should), so it can't have anything to do with the font. Also, this only occurs on the first page, second page is OK. I'm using MX on windows 2000. Thanks, Andrew...

  1. #1

    Default Exporting to PDF, letter "l" is replaced by ""

    Hi All,

    Has anyone else sen this? When I try to export a file as a PDF doent the
    letter "l" is replaced by the character "". All font/text content is
    converted to paths prior to export (as you should), so it can't have
    anything to do with the font. Also, this only occurs on the first page,
    second page is OK. I'm using MX on windows 2000.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    Andrew Tully Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Exporting to PDF, letter "l" is replaced by ""

    If all the text is indeed converted to paths, then it isn't really a
    character anymore, it's a vector path, so it would be impossible to
    actually change it into another character. Have you tried zooming right
    into the problem character in Acrobat/Acrobat Reader? Could you upload
    the PDF somewhere and post a link to it? This might just be an on-screen
    redraw quirk that only occurs at a certain magnification. They will
    occur when you convert all type to paths before producing a PDF, so it's
    not usually a good idea to do so. Supplying EPS for output might be a
    different matter, but I personally prefer to keep the text as text, and
    embed all fonts. This will give you better type rendition, especially
    on-screen and from low-resolution output devices, due to Font Hinting
    and the fact that Acrobat will always anti-alias text on-screen by default.

    The fact you are converting to paths suggests to me you are creating
    PDFs for output. If so, using FH's built-in PDF export is a no-no, due
    to it's pretty severe limitations:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.htm[/url]

    It's much more advisable to use Adobe Acrobat Distiller for such purposes.

    --

    Danny

    Danny Whitehead Guest

  3. #3

    Danny, I've just upgraded MX to V11.1 (from V11.0) and the problem has
    dissappeared so I guess that it was a bug that slipped through the first
    net. The EPS file (generated for print) was always fine.

    Thanks for the tip on generating PDF's (FHs limitations).

    Andrew

    "Danny Whitehead" <dannydontsendspamtobqprint.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:4017C347.5040000dontsendspamtobqprint.co.uk. ..
    > If all the text is indeed converted to paths, then it isn't really a
    > character anymore, it's a vector path, so it would be impossible to
    > actually change it into another character. Have you tried zooming right
    > into the problem character in Acrobat/Acrobat Reader? Could you upload
    > the PDF somewhere and post a link to it? This might just be an on-screen
    > redraw quirk that only occurs at a certain magnification. They will
    > occur when you convert all type to paths before producing a PDF, so it's
    > not usually a good idea to do so. Supplying EPS for output might be a
    > different matter, but I personally prefer to keep the text as text, and
    > embed all fonts. This will give you better type rendition, especially
    > on-screen and from low-resolution output devices, due to Font Hinting
    > and the fact that Acrobat will always anti-alias text on-screen by
    default.

    > The fact you are converting to paths suggests to me you are creating
    > PDFs for output. If so, using FH's built-in PDF export is a no-no, due
    > to it's pretty severe limitations:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.htm[/url]

    > It's much more advisable to use Adobe Acrobat Distiller for such purposes.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Danny

    Andrew Tully Guest

  4. #4

    I take it all back!

    It turns out that an ungrouped collection of vector shapes caused the "l"s
    to become something else. Once these shapes were either removed or grouped
    the problem dissapeared. I had previously (& incorrectly) assumed that the
    problem lay with the version number.

    Andrew

    "Andrew Tully" <atullyitdesign.ie> wrote in message
    > Danny, I've just upgraded MX to V11.1 (from V11.0) and the problem has
    > dissappeared so I guess that it was a bug that slipped through the first
    > net. The EPS file (generated for print) was always fine.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip on generating PDF's (FHs limitations).
    >
    > Andrew
    >

    > "Danny Whitehead" <dannydontsendspamtobqprint.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:4017C347.5040000dontsendspamtobqprint.co.uk. ..
    > > If all the text is indeed converted to paths, then it isn't really a
    > > character anymore, it's a vector path, so it would be impossible to
    > > actually change it into another character. Have you tried zooming right
    > > into the problem character in Acrobat/Acrobat Reader? Could you upload
    > > the PDF somewhere and post a link to it? This might just be an on-screen
    > > redraw quirk that only occurs at a certain magnification. They will
    > > occur when you convert all type to paths before producing a PDF, so it's
    > > not usually a good idea to do so. Supplying EPS for output might be a
    > > different matter, but I personally prefer to keep the text as text, and
    > > embed all fonts. This will give you better type rendition, especially
    > > on-screen and from low-resolution output devices, due to Font Hinting
    > > and the fact that Acrobat will always anti-alias text on-screen by
    > default.
    > >
    > > The fact you are converting to paths suggests to me you are creating
    > > PDFs for output. If so, using FH's built-in PDF export is a no-no, due
    > > to it's pretty severe limitations:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.htm[/url]

    > > It's much more advisable to use Adobe Acrobat Distiller for such
    purposes.

    > > --
    > >

    > > Danny

    Andrew Tully Guest