Professional Web Applications Themes

exposure values - Photography

Hi guys, I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being zero one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f stops?? I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge. Bob...

  1. #1

    Default exposure values

    Hi guys,

    I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being zero
    one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    stops??

    I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.

    Bob

    broussel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: exposure values

    Exposure = Speed + Aperture

    If I understand rightly, aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed are on a
    see-saw -- decrease one, the other must increase, and vice versa. If the
    f-stop changes, the shutter must change to compensate.

    "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    zero
    > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    > stops??
    >
    > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >
    > Bob

    Larry CdeBaca Guest

  3. #3

    "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    zero
    > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    > stops??
    >
    > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >
    > Bob
    Bob: It would be only the f stops usually but I suppose on different
    cameras that have aperature priority it might be the shutter. It could also
    be both of them on some automatic cameras I suppose. Ric in Wisconsin.

    Ric Trexell Guest

  4. #4

    You would be better off reading the post. Your answer makes no sense with regard
    to the question, now does it?

    "Larry CdeBaca" <lcdebacacomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Exposure = Speed + Aperture
    >
    > If I understand rightly, aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed are on a
    > see-saw -- decrease one, the other must increase, and vice versa. If the
    > f-stop changes, the shutter must change to compensate.
    >
    > "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > > Hi guys,
    > >
    > > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    > zero
    > > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    > > stops??
    > >
    > > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    > >
    > > Bob

    Just Me Guest

  5. #5

    Bracketing is exposing multiple frames, 3 for instance, where the
    first is exposed normally, the second is under exposed and the third
    over exposed (the order may vary). It depends on the setting on your
    camera: if you use Shutter priority, the aperture will vary, if you
    use Aperture priority, the shutterspeed will vary.
    On full Automatic, the camera's programmed algorithm will decide which
    one to vary.

    Don't know if this works if the camera is in full manual mode. Anyone?
    Of course one can bracket manually! As many frames as you like.

    For slides full stop bracketing is a bit much, better use half stops,
    if that's available.

    Cheers,

    Dan.
    Dan Uneken Guest

  6. #6

    If you're addressing me, Just, I tried to answer broussel's question, "does
    the shutter speed change at all or just the f-stops??" You can't adjust
    aperture without the speed changing to allow the same amount of light to hit
    the film. Is that better?

    "Just Me" <spammelaterspam.com> wrote in message
    > You would be better off reading the post. Your answer makes no sense with
    regard
    > to the question, now does it?
    >
    > "Larry CdeBaca" <lcdebacacomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Exposure = Speed + Aperture
    > >
    > > If I understand rightly, aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed are on a
    > > see-saw -- decrease one, the other must increase, and vice versa. If the
    > > f-stop changes, the shutter must change to compensate.
    > >

    > > "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > > > Hi guys,
    > > >
    > > > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    > > zero
    > > > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just
    the f
    > > > stops??
    > > >
    > > > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    Larry CdeBaca Guest

  7. #7

    Larry CdeBaca said:
    >If you're addressing me, Just, I tried to answer broussel's question, "does
    >the shutter speed change at all or just the f-stops??" You can't adjust
    >aperture without the speed changing to allow the same amount of light to hit
    >the film. Is that better?

    Not really.... the original question was about bracketing - can you do
    this by altering shutter speed or only by altering the aperture?
    The simple answer is that you can do it by either.

    What you said is quite right... but doesn't answer the question.

    --
    Gareth Kitchener
    Bedfordshire, England

  8. #8

    It depends on the camera and the exposure mode. Nikon varies the shutter
    speed in manual (M), shutter priority (S) and Aperture priority (A) modes
    and both shutter and aperture in programmed mode (P).

    broussel wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    > zero one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just
    > the f stops??
    >
    > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >
    > Bob
    Norman Worth Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:11:42 GMT, "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com>
    wrote:
    >Hi guys,
    >I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being zero
    >one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    >stops??
    >I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >Bob
    Well, that depends on you, or in some cases your camera.

    If you are shooting fully manual, then you can bracket your shots with
    either aperture or shutter speed.

    Quick example...

    Say your light meter says to shoot f/8 at 125th sec.

    Aperture bracketing:

    Bracketing up 1 full stop would be
    f/5.6 at 125th
    Bracketing down 1 full stop would be
    f/11 at 125th

    Shutter speed bracketing:

    Up
    f/8 at 60th
    Down
    f/8 at 250th

    So it doesn't matter which one you change, either shutter speed or
    aperture, the real question is...what effect are you trying to
    achieve.

    If you need to maintain a particular depth of field for whatever
    reason, then you'd want to bracket by changing shutter speed, but if
    stopping action is more important, then perhaps changing aperture is
    better.

    As a rule, I've found changing aperture is usually "easier" on most
    older cameras with aperture rings on the lens barrel, but it may not
    always be desirable, as mentioned above.
    Slingblade Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:26:59 -0600, "Larry CdeBaca"
    <lcdebacacomcast.net> wrote:
    >If you're addressing me, Just, I tried to answer broussel's question, "does
    >the shutter speed change at all or just the f-stops??" You can't adjust
    >aperture without the speed changing to allow the same amount of light to hit
    >the film. Is that better?
    I think he was addressing you, but I have to agree with him. You
    didn't answer his question.

    And to enlighten you...yes, you CAN adjust aperture without the speed
    changing, because that is what bracketing is. If you were trying
    shoot the same shot three times at the same exposure, that would not
    be bracketing. Bracketing is when you have what your camera or
    handheld meter says is correct, plus one or more exposures that vary
    up and/or down one or more stops, or in some cases partial stops, if
    your camera/lens is capable of in-between f-stops or shutter speeds.
    Slingblade Guest

  11. #11

    On 31 Aug 2003 23:34:28 -0700, [email]fotofilmworldonline.es[/email] (Dan Uneken)
    wrote:
    >Don't know if this works if the camera is in full manual mode. Anyone?
    >Of course one can bracket manually! As many frames as you like.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think that any cameras that have the
    exposure compansation dials work when shooting fully manual, but
    perhaps on some of these newer ones...it might be possible, but that'd
    kinda defeat the whole idea of manual.
    Slingblade Guest

  12. #12

    When I set my camera to Aperture, he will choose the right shutter-speed.

    If I then set the camera to autobracketing (+/- 1/3 stop) he will change the
    shutterspeed to
    under or overexpose the image.

    In autobracketing, the camera wil shoot 3 photo's, the first with the
    neutral setting, then one
    underexposed, and one overexposed (at least mine does).

    For example; f=5,6 , then the first picture wil be shot with 1/400 then
    1/500 and the last is
    shot with 1/320

    Now I set the camera to Shutter priority and choose s=1/400 he will change
    the aperture setting

    The first shot is at f=7,1 then 8,0 and 6,3

    I tried this with my E10 and it works just fine, I know the 5,6-1/400 is not
    the same as the 1/400-7,1
    but that is because while changing my camera from aperture to shutter
    priority the lighting conditions
    changed a bit too.

    The only thing I do not like about the feature of this camera is that you
    can not choose to have
    all images overexposed or underexposed, so it is always one correct a, one
    under and overexposed.

    When bracketing manually, you can do as you like...

    Thijs

    Slingblade <bladeREMOVEslingerearthREMOVElink.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email]6tq8lvkj04j1m6lthrv32eh5stpbhrhi824ax.com[/email]...
    > On 31 Aug 2003 23:34:28 -0700, [email]fotofilmworldonline.es[/email] (Dan Uneken)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Don't know if this works if the camera is in full manual mode. Anyone?
    > >Of course one can bracket manually! As many frames as you like.
    >
    > I may be wrong, but I don't think that any cameras that have the
    > exposure compansation dials work when shooting fully manual, but
    > perhaps on some of these newer ones...it might be possible, but that'd
    > kinda defeat the whole idea of manual.

    Thijs Verbeek Guest

  13. #13

    would it be too much to ask, "WHAT CAMERA"? <| 8-)

    Dan R.

    "Thijs Verbeek" <thijs.verbeektiscali.nl> wrote in message
    > When I set my camera to Aperture, he will choose the right shutter-speed.
    >
    > If I then set the camera to autobracketing (+/- 1/3 stop) he will change
    the
    > shutterspeed to
    > under or overexpose the image.
    >
    > In autobracketing, the camera wil shoot 3 photo's, the first with the
    > neutral setting, then one
    > underexposed, and one overexposed (at least mine does).

    Dan R Guest

  14. #14

    Olympus E10,

    I mentioned just the E10...

    Dan R <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email]vladrt1racsdafcorp.supernews.com[/email]...
    > would it be too much to ask, "WHAT CAMERA"? <| 8-)
    >
    > Dan R.
    >
    > "Thijs Verbeek" <thijs.verbeektiscali.nl> wrote in message
    > > When I set my camera to Aperture, he will choose the right
    shutter-speed.

    > > If I then set the camera to autobracketing (+/- 1/3 stop) he will change
    > the
    > > shutterspeed to
    > > under or overexpose the image.
    > >
    > > In autobracketing, the camera wil shoot 3 photo's, the first with the
    > > neutral setting, then one
    > > underexposed, and one overexposed (at least mine does).

    Robin Verbeek Guest

  15. #15

    It is one of the other that changes. Usually, the f stop. If you change
    both, you might end up not changing the exposre at all, or changing it too
    much, but 2 stops.

    hope this helps.

    toneh

    "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    zero
    > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    > stops??
    >
    > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >
    > Bob

    tjs Guest

  16. #16

    Bob,

    It depends on what is critical for you: the fstop or the shutter speed. If
    the fstop and therefore the depth of field is important, use the shutter
    speeds to bracket. Don't, however, go slower than 1/60 if you are using a
    normal lens. If you are giving priority to having a certain shutter speed,
    then change the fstop to bracket. You can also mix and match, but that's
    harder to keep track of.

    Robert
    "broussel" <brousselcfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:you4b.6197$zK3.314406twister.tampabay.rr.com ...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have a question, when bracketing an exposure say 3 frames, one being
    zero
    > one -1 and the third +1 does the shutter speed change at all or just the f
    > stops??
    >
    > I'm new to this hobby so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    >
    > Bob

    rob kd Guest