snip<---[ref][ref] >> But I did opt against the extended warranty on my C 4040Z over a year >> ago, and no problems with it yet. (around 15,000 -20,000 pic's later :-)[/ref] > >15K-20K images in a year? 300-400 images a week, or an average >of around 50 images per day? That sounds improbable.[/ref] Not really. I take my camera with me nearly everywhere I go and snap pictures along the way (I've captured some of the most surprising things that way including a man in the middle of Washington, DC being attacked by a swarm of bees and an idiot in an H2 running over a fire hydrant). Even when I haven't been going "shutter crazy" for a few days there are still times I make up for it like all the darn weddings I've attended this year, or for example, a recent 3 day beach trip where I went trigger happy and took 441 pictures (of which about 65 were worth keeping, thank GOD for digital). I also have been using my c4000 hooked up to my laptop with cam2com to monitor an alleyway outside my house so I could ID the vandals that keep "tagging" it. 1 image per minute for 9 hours=540 images and I did it for 3 nights before I caught the SOB's so there's 1,620 images right there. A bit of wear and tear on the camera but we got all three of them . In a little more than one year I would estimate I have snapped pretty darn close to 18k pictures. Rooker "If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!" [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <20030608085145.17770.00000122@mb-m10.aol.com> <3F1A18E4.3D0AF54A@netcape.net> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Rooker [ip] => Nospam@hotmail. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> extended warranty - would you buy one? - Photography

extended warranty - would you buy one? - Photography

Allan Mayer wrote:   > > Well I've noticed here that quite a few people tend to drop their > camera's from time to time. Dont know if the additional warranties > would cover that.[/ref] Probably not, especially is the case is dented, scratched or cracked.   15K-20K images in a year? 300-400 images a week, or an average of around 50 images per day? That sounds improbable.  ...

Default Re: extended warranty - would you buy one?

Allan Mayer wrote:

>
    > Well I've noticed here that quite a few people tend to drop their
    > camera's from time to time. Dont know if the additional warranties
    > would cover that.[/ref]

Probably not, especially is the case is dented, scratched or cracked.

15K-20K images in a year? 300-400 images a week, or an average
    of around 50 images per day? That sounds improbable.

JK Guest

Scott Schuckert wrote:

>
    > i worked in retail in the photo and computer industries for a long
    > time; and the extended warranties were without question the single most
    > profitable thing we sold.
    >
    > I would recommend them ONLY if your income depended on the camera in
    > question, and you couldn't pay for a replacement on short notice... And
    > even then it would depend on the terms of the warranty (turnaround
    > time, loaner, coverage of accidental damage, etc.)
    >
    > In my experience, many - even most - claims are turned down as
    > "accidental damage" or "misuse" - and there is often no way to
    > challenge the determination.[/ref]

That is the real issue.

JK Guest

--->snip<--- 
    >
    >15K-20K images in a year? 300-400 images a week, or an average
    >of around 50 images per day? That sounds improbable.[/ref]

Not really. I take my camera with me nearly everywhere I go and snap
    pictures along the way (I've captured some of the most surprising
    things that way including a man in the middle of Washington, DC being
    attacked by a swarm of bees and an idiot in an H2 running over a fire
    hydrant).

Even when I haven't been going "shutter crazy" for a few days there
    are still times I make up for it like all the darn weddings I've
    attended this year, or for example, a recent 3 day beach trip where I
    went trigger happy and took 441 pictures (of which about 65 were worth
    keeping, thank GOD for digital).

I also have been using my c4000 hooked up to my laptop with cam2com to
    monitor an alleyway outside my house so I could ID the vandals that
    keep "tagging" it. 1 image per minute for 9 hours=540 images and I
    did it for 3 nights before I caught the SOB's so there's 1,620 images
    right there. A bit of wear and tear on the camera but we got all
    three of them <grin>. In a little more than one year I would estimate
    I have snapped pretty darn close to 18k pictures.

Rooker
    "If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!"
    Rooker Guest