Professional Web Applications Themes

extending the RegularExpressionValidator - ASP.NET Building Controls

I would like to have a RegularExpressionValidator that would also require an entry. So I opened Reflector and looked at the RegularExpressionValidator control and found the EvaluateIsValid function. In this function it returns a true if the ControlToValidate is empty. OK so my thought was to extend this control, add continued...

  1. #1

    Default extending the RegularExpressionValidator

    I would like to have a RegularExpressionValidator that would also require an
    entry. So I opened Reflector and looked at the RegularExpressionValidator
    control and found the EvaluateIsValid function. In this function it returns
    a true if the ControlToValidate is empty. OK so my thought was to extend
    this control, add a 'Required' property and override the EvaluateIsValid
    function. Then return false if the 'Required' property is set and the
    ControlToValidate is empty. This all seem to work just fine and on my test
    program it seemed to work. However in real practice I found that if the
    ControlToValidate was empty the form was still submitted. So is seems I
    have to dig into the JScript generated by the control. Am I going in the
    right direction? What do I override to change the JScript?

    Tomk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: extending the RegularExpressionValidator

    hi Tom,
    Surely these articles will help you. It should put you in the right
    direction if your looking to extend validator controls.

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconsupportingup-levelbrowsers.asp[/url]

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconregularexpressionvalidatorcontrolsample.asp[/url]

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconvalidatorcontrolsamples.asp[/url]

    "Tomk" <tomk20@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to have a RegularExpressionValidator that would also require
    an
    > entry. So I opened Reflector and looked at the RegularExpressionValidator
    > control and found the EvaluateIsValid function. In this function it
    returns
    > a true if the ControlToValidate is empty. OK so my thought was to extend
    > this control, add a 'Required' property and override the EvaluateIsValid
    > function. Then return false if the 'Required' property is set and the
    > ControlToValidate is empty. This all seem to work just fine and on my
    test
    > program it seemed to work. However in real practice I found that if the
    > ControlToValidate was empty the form was still submitted. So is seems I
    > have to dig into the JScript generated by the control. Am I going in the
    > right direction? What do I override to change the JScript?

    Alessandro Zifiglio Guest