Professional Web Applications Themes

External flash with CP5700 & WC-E80 attached - Photography

How can I use external flash (SB80DX in my case) when wide angle converter WC-E80 is attached to my CP5700 camera? I took some pictures few days ago of a stag show with WC-E80 and external flash attached and they all came quite under exposed. I had the wide angle lens setting selected from the camera menu. Later I found out that this option disables the flash. But I saw flash going off while taking these pictures. There must be a way to use external flash in this scenario. Anyone have suggestions or any explanation why these pictures came out ...

  1. #1

    Default External flash with CP5700 & WC-E80 attached

    How can I use external flash (SB80DX in my case) when wide angle
    converter WC-E80 is attached to my CP5700 camera? I took some pictures
    few days ago of a stag show with WC-E80 and external flash attached and
    they all came quite under exposed. I had the wide angle lens setting
    selected from the camera menu. Later I found out that this option
    disables the flash. But I saw flash going off while taking these
    pictures.

    There must be a way to use external flash in this scenario. Anyone have
    suggestions or any explanation why these pictures came out so under
    exposed?

    SP Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: External flash with CP5700 & WC-E80 attached

    SP wrote:
    > How can I use external flash (SB80DX in my case) when wide angle
    > converter WC-E80 is attached to my CP5700 camera? I took some pictures
    > few days ago of a stag show with WC-E80 and external flash attached and
    > they all came quite under exposed. I had the wide angle lens setting
    > selected from the camera menu. Later I found out that this option
    > disables the flash. But I saw flash going off while taking these
    > pictures.
    >
    > There must be a way to use external flash in this scenario. Anyone have
    > suggestions or any explanation why these pictures came out so under
    > exposed?
    Underexposed is too dark, right? Just making sure we are talking about
    the same issue.

    First, don't tell the camera you have the wide angle adapter on. I
    never did with my CP990. The camera makes some silly choices (like
    turning off the flash).

    Also, it appears the photocell that controls the flash is in the pop-up
    flash assembly so make sure that is popped up even when using the
    external flash.

    There should not be a problem with the wide angle converter blocking the
    photocell in the popup flash but make sure this is the case.

    When I used external flash with my CP990 and converter lenses I had to
    switch to manual and let the flash determine it's own exposure since the
    photocell was covered by the converter lens.

    So:
    1) Turn off the wide angle option in the menu
    2) Make sure the popup flash is up
    3) Make sure the flash is in TTL mode
    or
    4) If sensor is blocked by converter lens, switch to manual and set the
    aperature on the flash (in manual) to the same aperature you have set on
    the camera. Set shutter speed to 60th or 125th of a second. Make sure
    the ISO settings are the same between flash and camera as well.

    Then try some shots around the house to see if things are working. This
    is always a good idea before going to take "real" pictures.

    Andrew McDonald Guest