Professional Web Applications Themes

extra colors appear after distilling an eps on a pc - Adobe Acrobat Windows

i've created an illustrator cs eps file using cyan and black. when the file is run through distiller, with no color management, small percentages of yellow and magenta appear in portions of the file. if the file is distilled on a mac, these colors do not appear, even when viewed on a pc. i am distilling the file down to acrobat 4.0 compatibility on both machines. the versions of acrobat and distiller are both 5.0. any suggestions as to how i can get the yellow and magenta to not show up on the pc?...

  1. #1

    Default extra colors appear after distilling an eps on a pc

    meat87@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    What happens if you print from Illustrator to the adobe pdf printer?
    make sure to change the joboptions to press (or a custom setting that doesn't touch the colour)before printing, otherwise the default standard joboptions will be used which will convert things to RGB.

    Also are you sure you are distilling the saemeps on a mac as you do on a PC?

    Which versions of distiller on both latforms btw?
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    we have a server set up that runs all of the eps files through distiller automatically, so the option of printing it out of illustrator, while it may work, doesn't apply. all of the job options for every instance of distiller are all for cmyk press, with no color management, and all the same across all platforms. the pc is running a windows xp pro version of distiller 5.0, the mac is running osx distiller 5.0, and server is running a unix version, although i'm not sure what version number it is. as far as distilling the same version, i'm actually transferring the file through our network over to the mac before distilling it there, so it is the same eps.
    meat87@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    there's no distiller 5 for OS X, either you are using distiller 6, or using distiller 5 in the classic environment.

    Although printing might not be a viable solution, it's still a valuable troubleshoot step.

    How exactly are the eps file created, using which settings? (which level of PS, are you keeping transfer functions? etc)
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    my mistake, it's distiller 5 in classic. the files are created using acrobat 4.0 (pdf 1.3) compatibility, compressing down to 300dpi, the color settings are color management off, but preserving overprint settings and preserving under color removal, and the transfer functions are preserved also. the halftone information is not preserved.

    in the advanced tab, we are keeping illustrator overprint mode and also converting gradients to smooth shades.

    also, on a side note, printing the file directly from illustrator on the pc still produces the magenta and yellow colors.
    meat87@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry I meant the settings you choose when creating the (e)ps from Illustrator.

    I just tried in Illustrator CS, created a new doc with only cyan and black, saved as eps and distilled it using the default press settings. Opened the pdf in 6 and used the preflight there to check how many plates there were and there were only two.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    before we get too far into settings, let me tell you that the only place that this happens is on part of two graphics that were imported into the eps. originally it was a tiff, but even converting the tiff to an eps and importing that doesn't matter. i have checked the image in both tiff and eps form and both of them are just cyan and black.
    meat87@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    "the only place that this happens is on part of two graphics that were imported into the eps" Why didn't you say so? :)

    It beats me why to be honest, especially thinking about the fact that the same eps distills fine on the mac.
    Does the same happen when distilling using the default press settings?

    Do you use any pre-flight software to check the pdf afterwards at all?

    Might be a good idea to post on the Acrobat mac forum as well as that's where the pre-press buffs tend to hang out.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    this happens with every color management setting that i tried, including the default press settings. i've been checking the pdf afterwards in both photoshop and pitstop pro. i'll post this in the mac forum. thanks.
    meat87@adobeforums.com Guest